IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How about a national IS-F drag competition?

Old 11-03-08, 05:50 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice Video KC.. I wish Rob had that vantage point for mine.
Old 11-03-08, 07:04 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
Thanks Mike, To bad I didn't have big enough " kahonies" to run last time when you were there.
....Well, I'm sorry I didn't have enough kahonies to lend you my wheels/tires

I wished I could have gone last week.

I just hold it to the floor in D. It shifts so slow tho. .
I noticed on the videos you posted about 8 months ago (the ones at night with the camera on the ground) that it seemed like you either had a lot of slippage from the tranny or something else between the 1/2 shift. I don't know if it's normal for the IS350 (I've never paid attention to it on my car), but it just didn't seem as "crisp" as I would think it would be at WOT.

Last edited by mikes rx; 11-03-08 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 07:06 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So Is Nitro allowed?

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Hey guys, this might seem weird, stupid, strange, etc.. BUT, what do you think about getting all the drag racers here and for the calendar year of 2008 having a contest to see who can have the LOWEST ET? No limitations on mods (not much anyways). The participants can all pitch in like 20 bucks and the winner take all? We'll just have to be honorable... but timeslips with pictures/videos would be required (or validation by another member).

Heck, I'd gladly pitch in 20 bucks to see an IS-F get into low 12's. Oh, another rule... No payout unless the ET is lower than 12.4 seconds!

If interested, I'll start a list of participants:

1. ToothDoc
2. caymandive
3. dkaplan435
4. DRE1615
5. HKS350

Ooh, now the pot is $100 bucks!!! - but I'm starting to think lower than 12.4 is gonna be pretty tough.
I am just wondering if their is any restrictions on mods. Simply for the fact that someone could easily reach below 12.4 with nitrous
Old 11-03-08, 07:35 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm honored to be added to the list. And will gladly donate to the cause. However I'm not planning on modding until spring (Can't wait!!!!!). So a sub 12.4 run seems a little out of reach to me. In the mean time I'll be trying to perfect my drag racing skills. But yeah lets have some fun.

Young: you know how to reach me. GLD is calling. Maybe we can get some races with my stock ISF vs your "Jenny Craig" version ISF and see where those weight savings really kick in. I'll check the weather. Later guys
Old 11-03-08, 07:56 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tastemydus
I am just wondering if their is any restrictions on mods. Simply for the fact that someone could easily reach below 12.4 with nitrous
As far as I'm concerned, I never did say STOCK... So, if you're in, let us know before the show is over (2008). We should have a 2009 version after Jan 1! Besides, I'm not sure if anybody here has the cajones to N2O the 5.0 (what if it goes kaboom!!)

DRE1615 - If we get a chance to go (probably on the last Sunday of Nov of GLD), for me, it'll be all strings pulled. I'll have it as light as possible and maybe another couple possible surprises...
Old 11-23-08, 07:14 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

So, it appears like this is going to be a 3 horse race. Anyone else planning on running this year? For me, I only have today and possibly the Saturday of Thanksgiving before the track closes.
Old 11-23-08, 02:44 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Lets keep this going into next year. My track has already closed for the year so thats it until 09' for me.
Old 11-23-08, 03:09 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Lets keep this going into next year. My track has already closed for the year so thats it until 09' for me.
I guess we could always do another one for the next Calendar year, but the rules for this competition were for the 2008 calender year and we must hit below a 12.4.

Any other tracks near you or within an hour or two driving distance? I'd really like to see what you can get when you run without the 20" wheels.
Old 11-23-08, 03:21 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NYMETS54
WOW!!! Insane times. Just as fast as C63 AMG..... Did you run the 350 tires?? any other mods?
Not quite as fast as the C63 but close. Looks like the Germans are having trouble breaking the elusive 12.3 mark too: Only one so far according to Dragtimes.com

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes
Old 11-23-08, 03:33 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Thought these numbers were interesting

http://www.dragtimes.com/horsepower-...power+Estimate
Old 11-23-08, 03:55 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 12.38@115 11/23/08

Trying to break the 12.40 requirement that Toothdoc put into the rules I went out today with the wifey for a test & tune day at MIR and finally did it. The car ran very consistent today thanks to the M/T drag radials. The only benefit I'm getting from the drag radials is the consistent launches, but still unable to get below the 1.9x 60ft range. Along with the transmission having a low stall speed and the tires starting to spin if I bring the rpms above 1500 at the line I'm finding it near impossible to ever see myself getting a 1.8x 60ft which would knock a 1/10th or two off the final ET. All this is fine with me though and I have to remind myself that this is a Lexus and I don't want to mess with the drive ability of the car or break anything. I have run the car from Summer to late fall this year to see how it does with various Density Altitudes, so if I decide to do any mods in the next year I should have a pretty descent baseline to compare.

Here is a video from today thanks to my wife. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAl2kSlsAP8&fmt=18
Attached Thumbnails How about a national IS-F drag competition?-1238at115mph.jpg  

Last edited by caymandive; 11-24-08 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 04:11 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!! Awesome run and an even better time!!
Old 11-23-08, 04:11 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Ur the man dude.........I have been beaten up to death across the net and forums about the IS-F not getting low 12's.....and now I feel vindicated.

You're right man, empty the trunk, 1/4 tank of 94+ octane, drag radials is the way......and with a new exhaust and intake for 09 and lighter wheels low low 12's for sure!

Way to go!!!!

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php...arch+DragTimes

And a note to all the C63 strokers.........
Old 11-23-08, 05:29 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
I guess we could always do another one for the next Calendar year, but the rules for this competition were for the 2008 calender year and we must hit below a 12.4.

Any other tracks near you or within an hour or two driving distance? I'd really like to see what you can get when you run without the 20" wheels.
I'll check at the new ZMax dragway but its 3hrs from the house. I'll have a new wheel & tire setup @ the frist of the year. Next year's project is sick **** handling so light weight wheels are in order.
BTW nice run. We'd have a good race in the 1/8th. Congrats and send me your paypal I owe you a $20 spot.
Old 11-23-08, 07:01 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Caymandive, congratulations! I went today to GLD and did about 8 or so runs. I only managed 12.6-12.7 but trapped mostly 112-113. I'm not going to bother posting the slips because their 1/8th traps and ETs were broken so there's not much to compare. One thing I did notice is that I actually had WORSE 60' than I did with the RE050. It wasn't that I was breaking traction, it was that previously, a touch of slip allowed the motor to stay a little in the higher RPM range that gave me better launches (1.90-1.92 range) where today, I could only manage a 1.94+ with MTs. In addition, I had a tailwind and it was only 43 degrees, but I'm guessing the humidity or pressure wasn't up to last time. The MT hooked up so hard, that I had ZERO slip. However, as Caymandive said, brake torqueing beyond 1500 rpm and it would have major slip. I tried no burn out and it would slip like crazy too.

So, in summary, congrats to Caymandive! MTs are great if you got gobs of low end torque but the actual lack of slip or the lack of a high stall torque converter in our car prevents it from being a true drag car.

I've got ONE shot left next Saturday after T-Day (if it's warm enough. GLD closes if it's under 40 degrees).

It's interesting to see that the best STOCK C63 time isn't much faster than our IS-F times.

One thing I want to reiterate one more time is the actual timing of the upshift. Don't upshift the moment you hear the beep. Wait a fraction of a second before it hits the rev limiter. It seems to make a 2 mph or so difference in my trap speeds and about .1 or so on the ET.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How about a national IS-F drag competition?