IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Who thinks the electric box prevents rust on car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 01:59 AM
tastemydus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who thinks the electric box prevents rust on car?

Did anyone get the electric rust preventer offered as an option? Does it work?
Old 09-18-08, 08:13 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electric rust Preventer ? WTF ?
Old 09-18-08, 08:18 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

lol.. that sounds stupid.. considering a lot of the pieces are plastic.. and paint on cars now a days last years upon years.. assuming you wash and wax it properly
Old 09-18-08, 09:45 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

No, but I considered getting the flux capacitor though.
Old 09-18-08, 12:56 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

WTF is right.
Old 09-18-08, 04:27 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tastemydus
Did anyone get the electric rust preventer offered as an option? Does it work?
Can you fill us in on what it does? I have honestly never heard of such a thing
Old 09-18-08, 06:47 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, the idea probably comes from boats. They use a sacrificial zinc anode that corrodes instead of the steel hull. I don't know if it would work on a car. It does work on boats.
Old 09-18-08, 07:57 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Can you fill us in on what it does? I have honestly never heard of such a thing
It gives the metal a positive or a negative charge based on the theory that like charges will repel each other. Just like if you tried to put the positive or negative ends of two magnets together.
Old 09-18-08, 08:07 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BCP43002
It gives the metal a positive or a negative charge based on the theory that like charges will repel each other. Just like if you tried to put the positive or negative ends of two magnets together.
Interesting...and you have it on your F?
Old 09-18-08, 08:30 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No. I have a GS but I heard about it on a car show.
Old 09-19-08, 01:01 AM
tastemydus
Driver

Post Sh=t Was I the only one offered this damn thing?

I called Lexus to get the name but it's closing time already. I googled it and came across this:

The CounterAct Electronic Rust Protection System uses our unique proprietary process called "capacitive coupling" which actually delivers a protective negative electrostatic surface charge into crevices, and into hidden areas where rust starts. This patented high-tech electronic process invented, perfected and employed exclusively by CounterAct delivers electrostatic charge protection to areas where rust protection is needed most and where coatings often cannot reach.

The CounterAct electronic rust protection system protects areas car makers, car dealers and other rust proofing providers ignore. CounterAct Electronic Capacitive Coupling technology sends protective charge to the entire car body, including many critical areas that are often not covered by new car and truck warranties or conventional rust proofing warranties.

HOW IT WORKS:

Rust, like fire, is produced by a chemical reaction known as oxidation. In the oxidation process metal combines with oxygen to form rust or corrosion. In a fire the oxidation process (a substance combining with oxygen) happens much quicker so essentially metal objects when exposed to the Earth's atmosphere are doing a slow burn.

(Remember opposites attract and likes repel and in chemical reactions oxygen tends to have a negative charge and thus seeks to combine with positively charged particles whether metallic or otherwise)

CounterAct slows this reaction and thus minimizes the age old menace of rust. CounterAct rust protection employs a principle of electrochemistry to slow the oxidation process," that a polarizing force applied to the double layer of charge that forms adjacent to a reacting electrode surface during the course of a corrosion reaction can decrease the rate of charge transport across the double layer, which can result in a reduction of the overall reaction rate."

At a charged surface a layer of oppositely charged particles tends to accumulate parallel to the surface charge so that if the surface of a metal body is being charged negatively (as in the case of the CounterAct method) a positive charge accumulates adjacent to the negative surface charge.

This is a well known phenomenon which actually presents a problem for analytical chemists as particles in solution essentially are presented with a barrier in the form of the double layer and prevented from reaching a reference electrode. This property therefore serves to create understated values for the particle's actual concentrations.

CounterAct employs capacitive coupling utilizing our capacitive coupler pads as the positive half of a capacitor in which the paint on a metal body being protected serves as the dielectric insulator between our capacitive coupler and the metal body which essentially becomes the negative half of the capacitor and receives the negative electrostatic surface

http://www.counteractrust.com/counteract.htm
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-08, 01:08 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Yeah that's not a Lexus endorsed or recognized product. Perhaps by your distributor Atkins Kroll in Guam, but that's an aftermarket offering.
Old 09-19-08, 09:04 AM
tastemydus
Driver

Talking I am pretty sure there is one Lexus endorses but

Originally Posted by flipside909
Yeah that's not a Lexus endorsed or recognized product. Perhaps by your distributor Atkins Kroll in Guam, but that's an aftermarket offering.
I didn't get ahold of them before closing time so I posted what the product resembled. I will find out tomorrow to see if it is endorsed just by my dealership or by Lexus.. and post their response

Last edited by tastemydus; 09-19-08 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-08, 10:09 AM
50ISF50
Rookie

My guess is that it's a local option as I am sure that rust is more of a concern on an island such as Guam. It would be interesting to know if something is similar is offered at other island locales such as Hawaii.
Old 09-19-08, 10:34 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tastemydus
I didn't get ahold of them before closing time so I posted what the product resembled. I will find out tomorrow to see if it is endorsed just by my dealership or by Lexus.. and post their response
Ya, keep us updated, thats very interesting!

Originally Posted by 50ISF50
My guess is that it's a local option as I am sure that rust is more of a concern on an island such as Guam. It would be interesting to know if something is similar is offered at other island locales such as Hawaii.
Ya, that would be, wheres the guy from Hawaii, I think his name is "chikken" on here

Quick Reply: Who thinks the electric box prevents rust on car?