IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

About to join the Club... IS-F that is!!! Question...

Old 08-29-08, 07:57 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to join the Club... IS-F that is!!! Question...

Hey guys, about to come back into the fold and am about sold on IS-F over modded out IS350. Question: kbb.com says IS-F wheels susceptible to pot holes (which low profiles aren't? ) but anyone have experience with this? WI roads are BRUTAL!!!

Thx in advance for info...
Old 08-29-08, 08:53 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not sure if you are asking about wheels or tires... The stock wheels are 1-piece forged, so they are as strong as it gets. For tires, they are low profile, but they are just as susceptible to blow outs as any other low profile tire.. so I'd say this is not a concern at all.. just don't drive it like you're in a 4x4. ha ha
Old 08-29-08, 09:02 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by primecut
I'm not sure if you are asking about wheels or tires... The stock wheels are 1-piece forged, so they are as strong as it gets. For tires, they are low profile, but they are just as susceptible to blow outs as any other low profile tire.. so I'd say this is not a concern at all.. just don't drive it like you're in a 4x4. ha ha
Good point, meant the wheel... decision's been made, Mercury Metallic IS-F it is!!!
Old 08-29-08, 12:08 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely agree with Primecut, couldn't of said it better myself Knock on wood, I personally don't think these blow out as much as others I've had on previous cars and the roads down in here in Austin are pretty bad as well. I wouldn't be worried about it. Might want to ask about having the Michelin PS2's put on

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Good point, meant the wheel... decision's been made, Mercury Metallic IS-F it is!!!
Congrats! Let us know when you get it, MM IS-F is the best imo!!

Last edited by BigMikeISF; 08-29-08 at 12:13 PM. Reason: PS2 Recommendation
Old 08-29-08, 01:16 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
I completely agree with Primecut, couldn't of said it better myself Knock on wood, I personally don't think these blow out as much as others I've had on previous cars and the roads down in here in Austin are pretty bad as well. I wouldn't be worried about it. Might want to ask about having the Michelin PS2's put on

Congrats! Let us know when you get it, MM IS-F is the best imo!!
Thx and will do...
Old 08-29-08, 03:17 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the Wheel/Tire insurance. Mine cost about $675 for 5 years protection. The cost of one of the wheels at my Lexus dealer's service department was $1900/each. Doesn't cover cosmetic damage to wheel, but would cover damage caused by holes in the pavement that damaged the wheel significantly. Glad I bought the insurance.
Old 08-29-08, 07:49 PM
foup
Driver

My suspicion is that your $675 contract covers structural damages to the wheels, those almost never happen unless in an accident. The more common cosmetic issues such as scratches are not covered, really too bad.

As for structural damages perhaps your regular auto insurance would cover them anyway?

Front rims are $2K each, rear are $2.1K each, plus taxes.
Old 08-29-08, 09:58 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

yikes! $8,200 for the set of four!? can I buy an IS-F and tell them to keep the wheels and give me the 8200. I could buy a set of HRE's or NEEZ for that much!
Old 08-31-08, 05:34 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the 5 year insurance for only 395$!!! But then again, I paid full sticker back in March so they felt sorry for me and gave me a deal on the tire/wheel ins. I actually used it on my IS350 over last winter (Chicago roads were a mess). They repaired the lip and gave me a new tire. You can't tell the wheel was ever repaired except by the fact that one wheel was cleaner than the other wheels. LOL BTW, that was on 18's! The 19's would totally take a beating if we have another winter like last. So, I'm actually using 18" and beefier tires over this winter.
Old 08-31-08, 06:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I got the 5 year insurance for only 395$!!! But then again, I paid full sticker back in March so they felt sorry for me and gave me a deal on the tire/wheel ins. I actually used it on my IS350 over last winter (Chicago roads were a mess). They repaired the lip and gave me a new tire. You can't tell the wheel was ever repaired except by the fact that one wheel was cleaner than the other wheels. LOL BTW, that was on 18's! The 19's would totally take a beating if we have another winter like last. So, I'm actually using 18" and beefier tires over this winter.
GOOD info... what kind of 18s are you running for winter? Tires?
Thx!
Old 08-31-08, 02:55 PM
BLKnWhtISF
Driver

I live in MO and my state is rated in the top three(state) worst road quality in the US but i haven't have any problem with my wheels or tire
Old 08-31-08, 05:09 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLKnWhtISF
I live in MO and my state is rated in the top three(state) worst road quality in the US but i haven't have any problem with my wheels or tire
Thx again for the info... at roughly $1K/wheel, I want to be sure to have no issues... but I think getting the insurance is a MUST......
Old 08-31-08, 06:03 PM
BLKnWhtISF
Driver

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Thx again for the info... at roughly $1K/wheel, I want to be sure to have no issues... but I think getting the insurance is a MUST......
Insurance is a must cause you never know what kind of issue you might encounter, i know i did I believe its more like 1900 dollars for a wheel(rim) at least for me when my girl bought me a extra wheel for a spare. About 2400 for the whole set(one rim one tire) Have fun with the isf
Old 08-31-08, 08:41 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get the whole set of IS-F rims on ebay for the price of 1 rim at the dealership. My 18's are pretty expensive - gunmetal VOLK RE30's (LOL) and I'm going to use Blizzak LM-25s this year. 225 45 up front and 255 40 in the rear to preserve the outer diameter at roughly 26". However, I'm also thinking I might get another set of 18" rims for winter use only so I'll have 3 sets of rims - everyday rim, racing rim, and winter rims. Too bad the IS-F only has 2 settings for TPMS so I'll probably have to sacrifice the racing wheels to not use the TPMS or have to construct one of those pipe bomb TPMS things.
Old 09-07-08, 11:24 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Just to let you all know that I put our wheels to the test today. I freaking hit a huge (unavoidable) pot hole doing about 45mph and it seriously sounded like I was in a crash we hit so hard. Needless to say and to my huge surprise the wheels/tires and everything survived! I was really really worried about having possibly bent my driver side rims, but wow these things along with the Michelin tires are bad a$$. I though for sure I'd get a bubble in the sidewall at least, but nothing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to join the Club... IS-F that is!!! Question...