Pix of my new Silver

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 02:40 AM
larrysb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pix of my new Silver

Here's a few images of my new ride.

This ain't your typical Lexus with the hemorrhoid-cushion ride and the anesthetic driving experience. This one is a hang of a lot of fun.

It's a sleeper too. It doesn't get that instant recognition that tempts any idiot teenager in his grandma's Ford Fairmont to "try you" at a red-light. I'm not sure how long it will be before the Fast and Furious types begin to recognize it.

Has a nice gaping maw. Part of the cosmetics that set it apart from the other IS's. Brake cooling ducts by the fog lamps are fully functional.

The quad tip exhaust diffusers. They are not connected directly to the exhaust, but it is clearly by design. Factory rice or functional? Who knows. The tips, the "F" badge and the subtle spoiler complete the "F" package.

It looks muscular, with the front gill, larger fender flare, big wheels.

BIG 14.2" 6 piston Brembo brakes up front. The wheel is BBS, forged, finished in a gun metal grey. Mine shipped with Bridgestone Potenzas. Luck of the draw, you get that or Michelin PS2, non-runflat. Pressure sensing system and temporary spare round out the back up plan.

Rear brakes are 13.9" Brembo 2 piston with drum parking brake.

Hiding under the covers is a 5L DOHC V8, putting out 416hp and 371 lbs of torque. It has a great exhaust note and is fairly quiet until you get on it and the secondary air intake opens. Then it just roars. Power delivery is smooth and immediate. This thing takes an amazing amount of oil, 9.8 qts on an oil and filter change.

Old 07-28-08, 02:49 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My IS350 has brake cooling ducts too.

but, nice ride. Haha in your descriptions it sounds like your trying to sell us the car.
Old 07-28-08, 07:59 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Congrats on your new IS-F.

Sadly about 95% i've seen delivered to dealerships here in CA all have Bridgestone Potenzas. However, all the Lexus corp IS-F's i've driven sport Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s.

Edit: Wait, I take that back, the Mercury Metallic w/no Moonroof IS-F I drove for about a week from Lexus Corp. had the Bridgestones.
Old 07-28-08, 08:09 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new ride!!

There is a design reason the tips aren't connected, I read it on here somewhere I believe. Incase someone asks it has something to do with pulling the car downward at real high speeds (130+) causing it to slow, that is if I remember correctly, I'm sure someone on here knows for sure though Anyway, congrats again, your going to love it
Old 07-28-08, 08:11 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on your new IS-F
Old 07-28-08, 09:31 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Congrats on the new sled.
Old 07-28-08, 10:46 AM
Mister T
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Congrats!

Standing strong!!
Old 07-28-08, 11:12 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Congrats on the new ride!!

There is a design reason the tips aren't connected, I read it on here somewhere I believe. Incase someone asks it has something to do with pulling the car downward at real high speeds (130+) causing it to slow, that is if I remember correctly, I'm sure someone on here knows for sure though Anyway, congrats again, your going to love it
They are diffusers. The reason why we dont need hideous gigantic wings like STI and Evos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_(automotive)

btw how does this compare to your c5?

Last edited by f=ma; 07-28-08 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-28-08, 12:16 PM
larrysb
Driver

I think the diffuser thing is marketing baloney.

Compared to C5:

My C5 had Z51 suspension (sport, not adjustable, uprated springs and sway bars, etc), but it also had run flat tires.

I took the F up Big Basin road to Skyline yesterday. Not pushing the motor, since it doesn't even have 100 miles on it. For those not in the south bay, this is a twisty, turny, mountain road in the Santa Cruz mountains. It's a favorite drive for motorcyclists to sports cars of all types. It's quite a fun little cruise. I selected sport VDIM for the drive, full auto on the way up, and manual paddle shiffting on the way down.

Of note: There's more push (understeer) in the F. Low RPM torque is not quite as good as the larger C5 engine. The A-pillar limits driver view in tight left hand curves (bugged me a good bit). Braking is excellent, perhaps better than my C5 (didn't push it). Overall handling is quite good, the ride is more supple and the tires very sticky. The seats are way better in the F, both from a "cosmetic" and a genuine support perspective. My one real complaint about the C5 was the seats, not bad, but just not of the supportive quality needed for performance driving.

I didn't push it as hard as I have the C5, like I said, the F is still in break-in.

One thing I did not like: In full auto mode, I had need to rapidly pass a slower vehicle that moved into one of the few turn-out lanes and waved me by. I nailed the gas with the transmission in full-auto mode. I have to say, I was disappointed with the ponderous response I got. It took a while for anything to happen. Gas on the floor and for some fairly significant fraction of a second or two, the car just didn't do anything about downshifting. I was thinking, "man, I can shift a stick way faster than this" and then the computer or whatever figured out what I wanted.

Hard to say what the computer is doing for me. The C5's info console let you know if traction control or stability had been invoked. The nanny computer in the C5 was quite liberal with what it would allow while on. The F has a great display, but it doesn't tell you anything at all.

Guages: Man I MISS the HUD on the C5. When I first got the C5, I thought the head's up display was a gimmick. But I quickly got used to it and after many years, am used to not having to look down at the gauges.

The F's speedometer is a PITA. Do not like it. The numbers are tightly packed and the "in-betweens" are the odd-tens. Since speed limits are very often marked in multiples of 5 on US roads, it's hard to see where 35, or 45 lives on the speedo. Would also like the more comprehensive gauges available on the C5, including the info-console which would tell you oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, even the inflation pressure in each tire. So chalk that up to the C5, better gauge layout. The other thing is the lighting in the instrument cluster in the F. It's pulse-width modulated, so subject to stroboscopic effect. This makes it hard to read quickly at a glance. The C5 has a unique lighting system - the dials and pointers are coated with fluorescent paint and illuminated by UV lighting. No stroboscopic effect at all.

So far, gas mileage seems to be on par or slightly less than the C5. With a 6-speed stick, I could really squeeze some amazingly excellent gas mileage from the C5. Not enough miles to say though on the F. Will have a better idea after a few tanks.

The electronics audio/nav/bt/climate are just awesome on the Lexus. My 02 'vette had the typical GM/Bose setup of the time, with the weird-sized DIN-and-a-half sized GM radio. One of the things that swayed me to a new car was the difficulty involved with fitting a touch screen into the C5's oddball size radio space, then ripping out all the Bose junk. Major surgery and honestly, the aftermarket stuff just doesn't integrate all that well with the rest of the vehicle. Would have lost things like retained accessory power and speed-sensitive volume. That and having to cut and refinish the radio bezel, relocate the climate controls and so on just seemed like too much to mess with and keep the OEM quality look of the interior.

Like I said, I loved my C5 convertible. I'll miss it a lot. If you ain't never owned one, you just won't understand. Corvette's get under your skin in a way that other cars just don't. I see some pretty ignorant and juvenile remarks on other car boards about Corvettes. People making those kind of comments are just ignorant wanna-be's. I love cars, good cars, no matter what name is on the badge.
Old 07-28-08, 12:20 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

congrats on your new F...my neighbor has a c6 and he has taken me out on it...so I can understand the power of the corvette...heh Then I took him out in my IS-F...and he was like...this is a Lexus?!?!
Old 07-28-08, 12:31 PM
nuttybar08
Driver

Originally Posted by larrysb
One thing I did not like: In full auto mode, I had need to rapidly pass a slower vehicle that moved into one of the few turn-out lanes and waved me by. I nailed the gas with the transmission in full-auto mode. I have to say, I was disappointed with the ponderous response I got. It took a while for anything to happen. Gas on the floor and for some fairly significant fraction of a second or two, the car just didn't do anything about downshifting. I was thinking, "man, I can shift a stick way faster than this" and then the computer or whatever figured out what I wanted.
This may get better with time as the computer "learns" your driving style. Either that or you just kick it to manual mode when you need it.

As far as the rear diffusers, I fully agree. Hopefully the aftermarket can figure out a better-looking solution.
Old 07-28-08, 03:03 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the purchase, yeah it sounded like a sales pitch..LOL
Old 07-28-08, 03:09 PM
larrysb
Driver

Originally Posted by nuttybar08
As far as the rear diffusers, I fully agree. Hopefully the aftermarket can figure out a better-looking solution.
You know, I wouldn't change them. They might be goofy, but they are flat out part of the character of the car. The tips seem less obtrusive on the Silver than they did on the blue and black cars. But they're bold and I'll honor the designer's intent on this one. The tips will stay, be they baloney, rice or rocket science.

My C5 convertible also came with some goofy exhaust tips, 4 ovals and an unfinished space in the center. I swapped the cat back with the titanium units from a C5 Z06 and got 4 rounded and larger tips. Also put a chrome badge plate in the lower center. The dress up plate just looked like it belonged there in the first place. You didn't notice it, it just looked OEM. The Z06 tips also had that professional design OEM look, like they belonged too. It's amazing that Chevy was shipping cars with 100% titanium mufflers and cat-backs. Amazingly light, strong and corrosion proof. It stunned me that Z06 owners would even consider changing them for heavier aftermarket stuff that didn't offer any performance increase at all. The aftermarket stuff was louder and I guess to some ears, better sounding. But technically, the OEM titanium was superior.

Being an engineer, I have a lot of respect for OEM engineers and designers. It's not an easy job, and second guessing them is rarely going to lead to a better solution. Different, but rarely better.
Old 07-28-08, 08:05 PM
foup
Driver

Compared to C5:

I took the F up Big Basin road to Skyline yesterday. Not pushing the motor, since it doesnven have 100 miles on it.

Of note: There's more push (understeer) in the F. Low RPM torque is not quite as good as the larger C5 engine. The A-pillar limits driver view in tight left hand curves (bugged me a good bit). Braking is excellent, perhaps better than my C5 (didn't push it). Overall handling is quite good, the ride is more supple and the tires very sticky. The seats are way better in the F, both from a "cosmetic" and a genuine support perspective. My one real complaint about the C5 was the seats, not bad, but just not of the supportive quality needed for performance driving.

I didn't push it as hard as I have the C5, like I said, the F is still in break-in.

One thing I did not like: In full auto mode, I had need to rapidly pass a slower vehicle that moved into one of the few turn-out lanes and waved me by. I nailed the gas with the transmission in full-auto mode. I have to say, I was disappointed with the ponderous response I got. It took a while for anything to happen. Gas on the floor and for some fairly significant fraction of a second or two, the car just didn't do anything about downshifting.
I drive Hwy 9 or Bear Creek road everyday. When you floor it you have to floor it very fast for the downshifts to kick in. But you might not be able to do it faster manually, going from say gear 8 to 4. The best is to anticipate the move by switching to manual when you see coming turnout sign, then follow your victim at 3500 rpm and floor it then. Response will be immediate...

Is your color silver or starfire pearl?
Old 07-28-08, 10:57 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Compared to C5:

My C5 had Z51 suspension (sport, not adjustable, uprated springs and sway bars, etc), but it also had run flat tires.

I took the F up Big Basin road to Skyline yesterday. Not pushing the motor, since it doesn't even have 100 miles on it. For those not in the south bay, this is a twisty, turny, mountain road in the Santa Cruz mountains. It's a favorite drive for motorcyclists to sports cars of all types. It's quite a fun little cruise. I selected sport VDIM for the drive, full auto on the way up, and manual paddle shiffting on the way down.

Hard to say what the computer is doing for me. The C5's info console let you know if traction control or stability had been invoked. The nanny computer in the C5 was quite liberal with what it would allow while on. The F has a great display, but it doesn't tell you anything at all.

Guages: Man I MISS the HUD on the C5. When I first got the C5, I thought the head's up display was a gimmick. But I quickly got used to it and after many years, am used to not having to look down at the gauges.

The F's speedometer is a PITA. Do not like it. The numbers are tightly packed and the "in-betweens" are the odd-tens. Since speed limits are very often marked in multiples of 5 on US roads, it's hard to see where 35, or 45 lives on the speedo. Would also like the more comprehensive gauges available on the C5, including the info-console which would tell you oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, even the inflation pressure in each tire. So chalk that up to the C5, better gauge layout. The other thing is the lighting in the instrument cluster in the F. It's pulse-width modulated, so subject to stroboscopic effect. This makes it hard to read quickly at a glance. The C5 has a unique lighting system - the dials and pointers are coated with fluorescent paint and illuminated by UV lighting. No stroboscopic effect at all.

So far, gas mileage seems to be on par or slightly less than the C5. With a 6-speed stick, I could really squeeze some amazingly excellent gas mileage from the C5. Not enough miles to say though on the F. Will have a better idea after a few tanks.

The electronics audio/nav/bt/climate are just awesome on the Lexus. My 02 'vette had the typical GM/Bose setup of the time, with the weird-sized DIN-and-a-half sized GM radio. One of the things that swayed me to a new car was the difficulty involved with fitting a touch screen into the C5's oddball size radio space, then ripping out all the Bose junk. Major surgery and honestly, the aftermarket stuff just doesn't integrate all that well with the rest of the vehicle. Would have lost things like retained accessory power and speed-sensitive volume. That and having to cut and refinish the radio bezel, relocate the climate controls and so on just seemed like too much to mess with and keep the OEM quality look of the interior.

Like I said, I loved my C5 convertible. I'll miss it a lot. If you ain't never owned one, you just won't understand. Corvette's get under your skin in a way that other cars just don't. I see some pretty ignorant and juvenile remarks on other car boards about Corvettes. People making those kind of comments are just ignorant wanna-be's. I love cars, good cars, no matter what name is on the badge.
Originally Posted by foup
I drive Hwy 9 or Bear Creek road everyday. When you floor it you have to floor it very fast for the downshifts to kick in. But you might not be able to do it faster manually, going from say gear 8 to 4. The best is to anticipate the move by switching to manual when you see coming turnout sign, then follow your victim at 3500 rpm and floor it then. Response will be immediate...

Is your color silver or starfire pearl?
Holy cow. I live off of Big Basin rd. This totally calls for a silicon valley IS F meet. Theres like 7 off us. Where's that thread.

Quick Reply: Pix of my new Silver