IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

does anybody else have the iPod adapter installed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-08, 11:59 AM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default does anybody else have the iPod adapter installed?

I had the iPod adapter installed at the port before taking delivery of my F. It seems that if I'm in any other mode on my stereo (FM, CD, AUX, etc.), my iPod's battery gets drained. It seems that every time I go to listen to the iPod, it's battery is dead, and I KNOW that it was fully charged just a day or two before.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 06-19-08, 01:03 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yah i bought a car charger for my ipod... you should have a 12v plug right next to the aux one.. it was 19.99... and you never got to bring it inside to charge again
Old 06-19-08, 01:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

curious, i thought the ipod adapter charges the ipod at the same tmie? i assume you are not talking about the aux input
Old 06-19-08, 02:51 PM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
curious, i thought the ipod adapter charges the ipod at the same tmie? i assume you are not talking about the aux input
rominl,

Correct, I'm talking about the one that is hard-wired thru my glove-box into the ML/Nav (the accessory is actually listed on my window sticker). It takes up the SAT1 input, but only charges the ipod when actually using it, if I'm on any other source, the 'pod is dead when I go back to it (the screen on the Nav says 'Ipod charge' and doesn't play music). I only listen to the ipod maybe 20% of the time (less now because it's always dead).
Old 06-19-08, 04:00 PM
supdawg79
Driver School Candidate

Let's hope this is an isolated incident. I would hate to run into the same problem.
Old 06-19-08, 04:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks for the clarification, that's interesting. i installed the kit for my friend's gs350, i only looked at it when we were in SAT1 and saw that the ipod was charging

so in your case it seems like when you are in other mode, the ipod is on somehow but not charged? i thought if the ipod is on (triggered by the cable) and the cable attached, then it's in charging mode all the time. not expert on ipod though
Old 06-19-08, 05:22 PM
DaEvilG
Rookie

That sucks, I bought the VAIS SL2VI for my 160gb ipod classic. They sent me package#3 which is the wrong wiring harness so my ipod charges and plays, but doesn't display text on the screen. I can skip songs using the buttons on the steering wheel, which is convenient. I have to wait another 2-3 weeks for them to release the package#4 being that I have the ML package...
Old 06-20-08, 11:56 AM
50ISF50
Rookie

Originally Posted by photomaker
rominl,

Correct, I'm talking about the one that is hard-wired thru my glove-box into the ML/Nav (the accessory is actually listed on my window sticker). It takes up the SAT1 input, but only charges the ipod when actually using it, if I'm on any other source, the 'pod is dead when I go back to it (the screen on the Nav says 'Ipod charge' and doesn't play music). I only listen to the ipod maybe 20% of the time (less now because it's always dead).
I have mine wired the same way. I haven't used it much except on long trips so i'm not sure if my system has the same problem. I hope not cause that would SUCK!
Old 06-25-08, 04:57 AM
SMT
Driver School Candidate

Does the iPod adapter kit (MSRP $299) provide higher fidelity than the aux input located within the armrest or is the primary benefit the integrated power source? Looking to take delivery of my IS-F this week and am looking into my options
Old 06-25-08, 10:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the aux input is pretty much like an anlog, the ipod connection is digital. i would say the ipod connection can only be better (my opinion)
Old 06-25-08, 11:25 AM
DZP
Pit Crew

the aux input is pretty much like an anlog, the ipod connection is digital. i would say the ipod connection can only be better (my opinion)
The iPod dock-out (line-out) connection is not digital, however is a cleaner analog signal than the headphone out.
Old 06-25-08, 12:27 PM
SMT
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the advice. Did you install the adapter yourself or have the dealer do the work? If you did it yourself, is it relatively simple?
Old 06-25-08, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DZP
The iPod dock-out (line-out) connection is not digital, however is a cleaner analog signal than the headphone out.
oh, sorry about that, never an expert on ipod. i thought if you use the ipod connector at the bottom (the row of pins) the signals are digital?
Old 06-25-08, 12:56 PM
DZP
Pit Crew

oh, sorry about that, never an expert on ipod. i thought if you use the ipod connector at the bottom (the row of pins) the signals are digital?
Generally line outs (like the iPod dock-out) achieves a "cleaner" signal due to bypassing the device's built-in amplifier. In the case of the iPod, the dock-out signal by-passes the headphone output's coupling capacitors however it's debated with the newer generations if it does indeed bypass the built-in iPod amplifier. At the very least, the iPod line-out is a fully un-attenuated signal and may say that you can achieve the same "quality" out of the headphone port with the volume set at about 90%.

The iPod's dock-out signal is indeed analog as otherwise one would require a digital to analog conversion step before the signal is recognizable as music. If you connect the iPod's dock-out connector to a cable like the Sik-Din, and then in turn plug your headphones into th Sik-Din, you will hear music (albeit at a fixed, very loud volume) which would not be possible if the signal were digital at this point (since the Sik-Din does not have a DAC hidden inside the cabling).
Old 06-25-08, 12:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DZP
Generally line outs (like the iPod dock-out) achieves a "cleaner" signal due to bypassing the device's built-in amplifier. In the case of the iPod, the dock-out signal by-passes the headphone output's coupling capacitors however it's debated with the newer generations if it does indeed bypass the built-in iPod amplifier. At the very least, the iPod line-out is a fully un-attenuated signal and may say that you can achieve the same "quality" out of the headphone port with the volume set at about 90%.

The iPod's dock-out signal is indeed analog as otherwise one would require a digital to analog conversion step before the signal is recognizable as music. If you connect the iPod's dock-out connector to a cable like the Sik-Din, and then in turn plug your headphones into th Sik-Din, you will hear music (albeit at a fixed, very loud volume) which would not be possible if the signal were digital at this point (since the Sik-Din does not have a DAC hidden inside the cabling).

great info DZP, awesome post. i learned a lot!

Quick Reply: does anybody else have the iPod adapter installed?