IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

C&D Comparo: IS-F vs. M3 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 04:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default C&D Comparo: IS-F vs. M3 Sedan

Not sure if this comparison was posted yet (saw the MotorTrend test though).

2nd Place - Lexus IS-F

They said the car was amazing. Trailed the M3 through Leguna Seca by 1 second. For Lexus first time, its impressive.

Transmission is just as good as the M3's manual tranny and stated they have never given a slushbox such praise.

Handling and a chassis that inspires confidence (so much that they felt the tires couldnt handle it at times). Needs a limited slip differential, relies to much on electronics).

Torque comes on way to high in the powerband and should be faster than the M3.

1st Place - BMW M3

Amazing powerband. Faster than the IS-F in most tests yet didnt trail in refinement or comfort. Heavier than coupe, but slightly faster.

Marvelous chassis. Adjustable suspension is outstanding. Sport mode on the street is downright uncomfortable (track use only). Livelier on the track. Everything is progressive and easy to control.
Old 03-25-08, 04:47 PM
crilla
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting the review.
Old 03-25-08, 07:02 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One interesting portion was the acceleration test. M3 did 4.1 and IS-F did 4.4 to 60 mph but on the 5-60, the M3 did 5.x and IS-F did like 4.6. SOOOO, the IS-F is a better vehicle for street drag racing, but proper launch and proper track surface M3 won (at least for that one test). However, as the speeds went to 100, and 150 the IS-F starting to close the .3 second gap and in the 1/4, IS-F was actually 1 mph faster. SO, what does it mean? Assuming exactly same speed - on the roll, the IS-F should beat the manual M3sedan - BARELY. Like by 1 mph when going 110 mph.

I personally found the article to be totally biased. Even some of the stuff they were testing for was totally bogus. They still dock points for the rear seat spacing and "styling" etc. I think to be only 1 second slower around Laguna with thinner tires shows that Lexus truly did their homework with the IS-F.
Old 03-25-08, 07:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
One interesting portion was the acceleration test. M3 did 4.1 and IS-F did 4.4 to 60 mph but on the 5-60, the M3 did 5.x and IS-F did like 4.6. SOOOO, the IS-F is a better vehicle for street drag racing, but proper launch and proper track surface M3 won (at least for that one test). However, as the speeds went to 100, and 150 the IS-F starting to close the .3 second gap and in the 1/4, IS-F was actually 1 mph faster. SO, what does it mean? Assuming exactly same speed - on the roll, the IS-F should beat the manual M3sedan - BARELY. Like by 1 mph when going 110 mph.

I personally found the article to be totally biased. Even some of the stuff they were testing for was totally bogus. They still dock points for the rear seat spacing and "styling" etc. I think to be only 1 second slower around Laguna with thinner tires shows that Lexus truly did their homework with the IS-F.
IS-F has more torque, so it can dig at anytime. M3 needs to be revved and in the right gear at the right time.

Another good review for the IS-F. Remember guys, the S4/RS4 C63 took over a decade to become serious threats to the M3. Lexus has a serious threat on its first try!!!
Old 03-25-08, 07:44 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

can u post a link?
Old 03-25-08, 07:53 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't seen any tests done that showed the M3 faster than 4.6 sec 0-60. Most show it at 4.8 sec.

I think if both drag raced, the Lexus would take it just simply b/c of the extra torque. It would be close to start but daylight by the end of the race. Even with a good driver in the BMW, one hundred millisecond shifts are hard to beat.

The M3 is a track car. Plain and simple. Everyday useage and overall driveability goes to Lexus.
Old 03-25-08, 08:55 PM
proximal
Driver

Originally Posted by DRE1615
The M3 is a track car. Plain and simple.
You make it sound like the M3 is unusable on the street. It's completely fine for everyday road use, and that's where most of them will spend most of their time.
Old 03-25-08, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by proximal
You make it sound like the M3 is unusable on the street. It's completely fine for everyday road use, and that's where most of them will spend most of their time.
Correct. Both are street cars that can go to the track. You will find most guys at the track have the much lighter E30 cars.....
Old 03-25-08, 10:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome stuff! Would love to see the full article with all the details.

Only 1 second off the M3 at Laguna Seca? Awesome job Lexus! This officially confirms that the IS-F can hang with the M3 in terms of performance.

Really must give kudos to Lexus, they've built a true high performance sedan and a strong competitor to the M3 on their first try!

It's interesting that they commented about the tires. Some people have commented that the IS-F is capable of better performance with wider tires. I'm very interested in seeing what sort of performance people can achieve with wider tires on an IS-F.
Old 03-25-08, 10:16 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It needs some 235/35/19 tires up front and 265/30/19 or 275/30/19 in the rear. It also needs some H&R 10mm spacers.
Old 03-25-08, 10:19 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

nice post thanks for the information
Old 03-25-08, 10:59 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Only 1 second off the M3 at Laguna Seca? Awesome job Lexus! This officially confirms that the IS-F can hang with the M3 in terms of performance.

Really must give kudos to Lexus, they've built a true high performance sedan and a strong competitor to the M3 on their first try!
I agree, it's absolutely incredible. I still find it hard to believe that there is only 1 second difference around Laguna especially considering how much heavier the IS-F is.
Old 03-26-08, 07:24 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I know the M3 is more than capable of being used on the streets. To me it is just more of a track car. By that I mean to really unleash the true potential of the M3 you need to be on a track.
I feel like the ISF is more practical and useable on a day to day basis. That's all.
Old 03-27-08, 04:46 PM
LexFather

OKay my issue came in today. First off, great shots of the cars, better than usual. The BMW was 64k and change the IS-F 60k and change as tested.

I don't understand C&D scoring. They gave the M3 a point for the "rebate/incentive" category.
Both scored a 5 in fuel economy but the IS-F gets 16/23 to the M3s 14/20.

Amazingly both score 10 for handling and both 8 for ride.

Understand this.
The BMW scored 91 to 84, the largest margin, with the Vehicle;
interior
styling
ergonomics etc

The IS-F won the Powertrain 48 to 47.

The M3 won Chassis 48 to 46.

M3 got 22 for Gotta have it, IS-F 19. BMW also got 25 for fun to drive and 22 for the IS-F.

Overall 233 to 219 for the M3.

They really did LOVE both cars
Old 03-27-08, 08:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
OKay my issue came in today. First off, great shots of the cars, better than usual. The BMW was 64k and change the IS-F 60k and change as tested.

I don't understand C&D scoring. They gave the M3 a point for the "rebate/incentive" category.
Both scored a 5 in fuel economy but the IS-F gets 16/23 to the M3s 14/20.

Amazingly both score 10 for handling and both 8 for ride.

Understand this.
The BMW scored 91 to 84, the largest margin, with the Vehicle;
interior
styling
ergonomics etc

The IS-F won the Powertrain 48 to 47.

The M3 won Chassis 48 to 46.

M3 got 22 for Gotta have it, IS-F 19. BMW also got 25 for fun to drive and 22 for the IS-F.

Overall 233 to 219 for the M3.

They really did LOVE both cars
Wow, so C&D gave equal score to both for ride and handling and the IS-F got more points for powertrain? I don't read C&D that much anymore, but it's surprising that they picked the IS-F powertrain over the M3.

Quick Reply: C&D Comparo: IS-F vs. M3 Sedan