IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F for everyday car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 09:23 PM
Servoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F for everyday car?

This is a question for the new ISF owners out there.

I've read the reviews and agree they got the car right for performance on the track but how is the IS-F for an everday car? My dealer says he has a car for me too look at this weekend but I'm not sure how much of a test drive I'll get if any.

So I want to ask you new owners if this is a car I can drive for 5 hours on the freeway on a weekend trip without the ISF's suspension getting the better of me. My commute to work takes me over railroad tracks and I want to go over them without breaking my back.

I know this will be a fun performance car. How will it be for my every day driving?

David
Old 02-12-08, 09:37 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Good luck on being able to test drive this baby, unless the dealer is able to get more in stock. At the rate they are going, unless the dealer is going to have a hard time selling their stock, I don't see them letting anyone test drive it, otherwise, there be a lineup of joyriders out there.

I can't answer your case on a daily commute - waiting for mine to come in, but I know it ain't your daddy's Prius so don't expect great gas mileage.
Old 02-12-08, 10:37 PM
phiberglas
Driver

I would drive mine as a daily driver for sure. The ride is a little stiff and you feel a lot of bumps around the city but when you get on the highway it's very smooth.
Old 02-13-08, 08:03 AM
sclx
Rookie

I drive mine every day 50 miles each way to work, no problem. But I do prefer a stiff suspension. When you do hit a bump, you feel it, but it definitely is cushioned through the seat just fine.

Desi
Old 02-13-08, 11:18 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I have not driven an IS-F, but I'll note that a few reviews (including ones linked in the sticky here) have suggested that the ride quality is better and more refined than competing vehicles like the M3. Of course, it's much harsher than the regular IS.

Of course I am a past C43 owner who was happy with the ride/performance balance, and honestly the harsh ride means road feel and that was a big draw for me. That the IS-F performs better than the C43 in every aspect yet apparently maintains a softer ride makes it a no-brainer for me as far as daily driver goes. I'd still like to test drive it before committing, though.
Old 02-13-08, 03:40 PM
sclx
Rookie

Put it this way, its MUCH smoother than a Lotus Elise, but stiffer than an IS350 with the sport package. However the handling outweighs the difference from the IS350. It's not a "jarring" ride, just more "purposeful" I guess? Yeah, test driving it would be best - though I bought mine without a test drive and I'm happy.

Desi
Old 02-13-08, 03:55 PM
BJM711
Rookie

Originally Posted by sclx
Put it this way, its MUCH smoother than a Lotus Elise, but stiffer than an IS350 with the sport package. However the handling outweighs the difference from the IS350. It's not a "jarring" ride, just more "purposeful" I guess? Yeah, test driving it would be best - though I bought mine without a test drive and I'm happy.

Desi
Plus 1. No test drive and loving it.
Old 02-13-08, 05:24 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe a Lexus....any Lexus will ever not be for daily driving.
Old 02-13-08, 06:01 PM
IS300eR
Lexus Test Driver

if you got the $ for gas, why not.
Old 02-13-08, 06:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I don't believe a Lexus....any Lexus will ever not be for daily driving.
totally agree...... if people are driving m3, rs4, and c63 every day, i can't see how the is-f can't be daily driver
Old 02-13-08, 06:53 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on what you can accept on a daily basis. A Lamborghini can be driven daily, if you have a strong left foot and plenty of money to spare on gas. IS-F daily for southern California or Florida, no problem. For areas with snow, probably good to have a car you can crash up...
Old 02-13-08, 07:28 PM
ISFfan
Pole Position

The IS-F can definitely be considered an everyday car.

The suspension is stiff, but refined. And I definitely do feel connected to the road as some of my fellow IS-F owners have stated.

It is such a comfortable car to drive.
Old 02-13-08, 08:40 PM
Qtrmile
Driver School Candidate

I have told my dealer that I will drive it first before deciding and he has agreed. Most of the roads around socal are pretty smooth so I don't think the stiff ride will be an issue.
Old 02-14-08, 09:21 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Qtrmile
I have told my dealer that I will drive it first before deciding and he has agreed. Most of the roads around socal are pretty smooth so I don't think the stiff ride will be an issue.
Smooth??

Honestly... they are not... Most of the So Cal freeways are grated concrete... and surfrace streets are about 50/50 concrete / black top.

When i drive in slow traffic and catch the seems on the fwy, I am reminded everyday that I have the Sport Suspension...

Most of the problem I think is that when they are testing & tracking these cars, they are on a nice smooth black top pavement...

Once in a while when I find a Black top freeway or street in SoCal, my car rides really smooth and with much less road noise of course...

My Sport Suspenion IS350 is a bit on the sensitive side..
More than my IS300 ever was...

I still Love my Sport Suspension, but i am sure the IS-F will not be a smooth ride on concrete grated freeways or road ways...

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-14-08 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-14-08, 11:19 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Smooth??

Honestly... they are not... Most of the So Cal freeways are grated concrete... and surfrace streets are about 50/50 concrete / black top.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that... most people I know in California (whether north or south) complain about the road conditions there, especially when they visit me here in Vegas and see how smooth roads can be when the state and county governments actually care about that sort of thing.

Here in Vegas you can generally get away with stiffer suspensions because the highways are fantastic. Surface streets depend on what area you live in; some places are just as bad as in CA but in many places - like where I live - they are really smooth.

Quick Reply: IS-F for everyday car?