IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What is Lexus thinking?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 10:22 PM
08IS-F
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down What is Lexus thinking?!?

A year ago I put a deposit at 2 CA Lexus dealers so I can be on the waitlist for the 2008 IS-F. Finally, Lexus released their pricing and options on 1/11/08, but my dealers NEVER contacted me. I called both my dealers to get more information so I can build my car with my options (Navigation/Mark Levinson). But the answer I got from both dealers was extremely shocking. The dealer told me the IS-F built by Lexus will come ONLY one way = FULLY LOADED. If you don't know what fully loaded is, here are the options on top of MSRP:

DVD Navigation System w/ Mark Levinson $3,990
Pre-Collision System w/ Dynamic Radar Cruise $2,850
Intuitive Park Assist $500
Headlamp Washer $100

This is what it comes with if you want a Lexus IS-F. I don't mind paying for the Park Assist and Headlamp Washer, but who wants the Pre-Collision System? Also, they told me you cannot pick the color of your car both interior and exterior. What the dealer informed me is that Lexus will give them up to 3 IS-F for the first allocation and whatever Lexus sends the dealer is what they get. So this is pretty much a BUY IT or LEAVE IT transaction. Unlike BMW M3, you can build your own car exactly the way you want, but what Lexus is doing is forcing you to buy unnecessary options that you don't want. This is definitely a bad marketing strategy by Lexus. Why is Lexus releasing pricing and options if they are forcing you to buy a fully loaded vehicle?
Perhaps you should contact your dealers if you have a deposit with them and add your thoughts?

PS. IS-F will arrive to the dealers at the end of next month

Last edited by 08IS-F; 01-19-08 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-19-08, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well, seriously, that's how lexus does their business. i see complaints about their ordering system in every forum, so really it's like take it or leave it. it's for the initial batch anyway. fact is, i think the first few cars at dealerships will be taken fast, so lexus just does it their way. afterwards you can probably have more choices on color / options.

but don't expect full customization, that will probably cost you a good penny
Old 01-19-08, 10:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but don't expect full customization, that will probably cost you a good penny
that would be impossible ...

It's the same BS from Lexus all over again

If you want your own choice of color, be prepared to wait for a long time even if you are the first to put down a deposit, unless it happens to be the color THEY choose to build first.

Reminds me of zzzdoc's Black opal 600hL order . . .
Old 01-19-08, 10:58 PM
08IS-F
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Robarapta
If you want your own choice of color, be prepared to wait for a long time even if you are the first to put down a deposit, unless it happens to be the color THEY choose to build first.
This is exactly what I am going thru. I am #1 on both dealers' waiting list. And now it does not look like I will be the first one driving out with a IS-F.
Old 01-19-08, 11:01 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^ +1 to rominl

if you don't like the way that lexus is packaging the initial batch of stateside is-f's, feel free to ask the dealership(s) to refund your deposit. IMO lexus knows that there will be someone who won't mind paying a premium to be one of the first to own an is-f.

so, contacting your dealer and adding your thoughts will only be a futile exercise. that, and you might sour your relationship with the dealership...

i'd say, be happy that you'll be an exclusive owner of an is-f.
Old 01-19-08, 11:40 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

that's how lexus does it with new released cars that are highly anticipated?...heh...i remember the gs450h being fully loaded only durng the first few months...so the IS-F will take a few months before you can get what options you want...
Old 01-20-08, 12:20 AM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Yeah, I kind of heard the same at my dealership too. Most if not all will come fully loaded and any personal options will probably not happen until the demand starts to subside. You kind of get what they have or it goes to the next person on the list.

I guess that's the cost of being the first on the block to have one.
Old 01-20-08, 04:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand what the bid deal is. If you're on a waiting list, it means that you are in line to receive a vehicle that they get in on allocation. Yes, these vehicles will be pretty much fully loaded. There's nothing stopping you from special ordering one, though. Maybe you just want to be the first one with an ISF in your area/state. If that's the case, you're going to have to pay. The ISF dealer allocation and special order system is no different than any other Lexus. The fact that there's fewer of them to go around doesn't change a thing. Good luck, I hope you get the model that you want.
Old 01-20-08, 04:46 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm surprised there are any options for the IS-F. AFAIK it's gonna be fully loaded when it'll hit Aussie shores (however we'll probably be paying through the roof for one considering how much a brand new M3 costs).
Old 01-20-08, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Robarapta
that would be impossible ...

It's the same BS from Lexus all over again

when i said full customization, i meant according to the available option list and configuration on lexus.com. it is possible, and you will pay your car at msrp.

being the #1 at your dealership doesn't mean anything. like i said, that's just how lexus work, and how they keep the cost lower (still my belief) than competitors due to their less flexible options to streamline the production more. personally i don't see the big deal, but if it's that bad, there is always bmw and mb
Old 01-20-08, 11:05 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

being the #1 at your dealership doesn't mean anything. like i said, that's just how lexus work, and how they keep the cost lower (still my belief) than competitors due to their less flexible options to streamline the production more. personally i don't see the big deal, but if it's that bad, there is always bmw and mb
I understand where you are coming from but being number 1 at my dealership should allow me to look at the incoming and pick the one that best matches my needs. If they really all have pre-collision I will 100% walk away from my deposit. Will I order one then? Probably but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Honestly if this is true Lexus will sell them all but they are bundling an option which IMO is pure profit and unwanted by the enthusiasts.
Old 01-20-08, 11:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I understand where you are coming from but being number 1 at my dealership should allow me to look at the incoming and pick the one that best matches my needs. If they really all have pre-collision I will 100% walk away from my deposit. Will I order one then? Probably but I wouldn't guarantee it.

Honestly if this is true Lexus will sell them all but they are bundling an option which IMO is pure profit and unwanted by the enthusiasts.
oh, dont' get me wrong. i agree with you, that should be what they allow you to do. if you are #1 and they have 3 cars coming in, you should have 3 choices to choose from, period. if they don't do that, that's wrong imho. but what i was trying to say is with how lexus work, being #1 doesn't mean you will be the number 1 to get the car that's exactly what you want

to me that's how lexus would do it for the first batch of is-f. after the intial bump, then is-f with different options would start to come in. it's pretty similar to the ls600hl stories i have read
Old 01-20-08, 11:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Fully loaded only no choice on color. Now that's great service for the most enthusiastic of Lexus customers.
Old 01-20-08, 11:29 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

when i said full customization, i meant according to the available option list and configuration on lexus.com. it is possible, and you will pay your car at msrp.
Customization at least should mean that you can pick whatever combination you want from their options list, not pick a pre-determined(by them, take it or leave it) option configuration.
AFAIC, there is no possibility of customization whatsoever for ordering a Lexus. The Germans still have the upperhand here. Lexus is striving hard for post-sale customer service, yet they are totally neglecting sales service with examples like this, & the other threads, like dealers totally in the dark as to informing their customers when certain combos are coming when, etc. as discussed many time before. Maybe they think they are selling to their production capacity & goals that they don't care, but is it good sales service,? Absolutely not.

Their streamlined production means saving money only for those customers who just want to have everything whether they actually think all of the pre-packaged options are useful to them or not. There are some people who just feel good on having everything.

It may save money for them in lowered production costs, but more for the purpose to fatten their profits rather than making it the best deal for their customers.
Without flexible option choices, many are often forced to paid for options that they don't need or want just to get others they need or want since they are all packaged together.

For example, I don't want to pay for the self-park in the LS460L, & yet I am paying for it because without it, you can't get many other stuff that's useful to you.
The exec. package with the reclining shiatsu seat & the wooden doors & table on the rear center console is cool, but their rear dvd is not that useful/desirable to me either, I would rather have aftermarket with 2 screens on the headrests, that's another example of me forced to pay for something I can do without, but I am paying for them regardless if I like the other features associated with the Exec. Package, that's not saving money AFAIC.

Now you may say that you can only get a S550 base for several thousands less than a LS460L Exec., & with the options you want, you still pay more for the Benz, but it's not like the S550 does not have it's advantages over the LS, like superior driving dynamics, prestige etc., those alone would be enough for some to sway them over if those are high priorities for them.

Plus of course, as you have stated yourself many times, it's possible to lease a significantly more expensive S-class for about the same as a LS460L, so in the end, much of the perceived better value of Lexus have evaporated, since the Lexus is not really more affordable in practice for many, & you are forced to pay for certain options with the Lexus you can do without.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-20-08 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-20-08, 11:42 AM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

There's no control over the first batch of cars that the dealership receives, after that then you can order w/e you want, but just like the LX570 right now, customers can only buy what we receive, until we start getting normal allocations on the new vehicles...

If you want to special order your vehicle, you can...it takes 3 months...

I work @ Lexus fyi...

Quick Reply: What is Lexus thinking?!?