IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F Racing Concept (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 04:21 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F Racing Concept (merged threads)

i hope this is not a repost:

Lexus IS-F Racing Concept at Tokyo Auto Salon
Alongside Super GT SC430
The Tokyo Auto Salon, open to the pulbic January 11-13, will see its fair share of tuned cars. Pretty much all the biggest Japanese manufacturers bring a tricked out version of their top models, and Lexus follows suit with the Lexus IS-F Racing Concept.

Lexus has yet to reveal any details about the concept car and all we have managed to lay our hands on is this dark image from Lexus' Tokyo Auto Salon preview site.

The Lexus SC430 for the Super GT races will also make its debut for the 2008 season where it will be pitted against the Nissan GT-R.

Stay tuned for more from the Tokyo Auto Salon next week.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080104.007/lexus-is-f-racing-concept-at-tokyo-auto-salon.
Attached Thumbnails IS-F Racing Concept (merged threads)-is-f-racing.jpg  
Old 01-04-08, 06:48 AM
aco
Rookie

Looks like a DTM car. I'll pass.
Old 01-04-08, 08:26 AM
JessePS

lol... honestly Lexus goes from conservative to over-kill in no time just for one model, while they have other ones to update such as the SC and GX
Old 01-04-08, 10:39 AM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

that reminds me of the team lexus alms is350 prototype. i wonder if that may be the same car w/ is-f parts slapped on?

i would def love to see a super gt version of the is-f.
Old 01-08-08, 02:13 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha kttan u beat me too, it, read the new yesterday but didnt post until today
Old 01-08-08, 06:35 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ndk83
haha kattan u beat me too it, i read the news yesterday but didnt post until today
lol yea i read ur post today, here is an update...

Team Lexus IS-F to Enter GT2 Le Mans Series
Lexus not to compete in DTM

This Friday at the Tokyo Auto Salon Lexus will pull the covers off their latest IS race car. The IS 350 GT2 is powered by a 470+ hp V6 engine and will compete in the American GT2 LeMans Series and not in the German DTM series as many had hoped here in Europe.

The Lexus IS 350 GT2 will make its first appearance at the Twelve Hours of Sebring in Sebring, Fl this March 15-18. Competition will be stiff with the likes of the Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, Panoz Esperante, Ferrari F430 GT, Dodge Viper Competition Coupe and BMW M3.

“Developing and racing two brand-new cars in a new category will be a major challenge, but one that we relish,” said Team Lexus owner/driver Chuck Goldsborough back in 2005. Originally Lexus was planning on entering the GT2 ALMS class back in 2006.

We hope to have more accurate information by the end of the week.
I think they are confused as well, it can't be referred to as IS-F and IS 350 GT2 at the same time.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080108....le-mans-series
Attached Thumbnails IS-F Racing Concept (merged threads)-9080108_007_mini1l.jpg  

Last edited by kattanh3; 01-08-08 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-08-08, 09:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Wait a minute. There no more organization called Team Lexus aka Performance Engineering. Chuck is no longer in the picture. Who is the source of that article? Talk about wild speculation.
Old 01-08-08, 11:33 AM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

The IS 350 GT2 is powered by a 470+ hp V6 engine and will compete in the American GT2 LeMans Series and not in the German DTM series as many had hoped here in Europe.
i am not knowledgeable about races yet i am puzzled by 2 things:
  • how the article title mentions the IS-F rather than the F-Sport line yet it says that the engine is (the 3.5 liter base) v6 rather than the IS-F's (5.0 liter) v8
  • also they are confirming that the car will not compete in DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters --> German Touring Masters), which i would think is obvious! aren't DTM's mostly German! or at least European cars? If this is the case why would WorldCarFans consider such sources and address them as “many had hoped here in Europe” or is DTM struggling this much after Opel and previously Alfa Romeo backed out?
Old 01-08-08, 02:53 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by kattanh3
i am not knowledgeable about races yet i am puzzled by 2 things:
  • how the article title mentions the IS-F rather than the F-Sport line yet it says that the engine is (the 3.5 liter base) v6 rather than the IS-F's (5.0 liter) v8
  • also they are confirming that the car will not compete in DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters --> German Touring Masters), which i would think is obvious! aren't DTM's mostly German! or at least European cars? If this is the case why would WorldCarFans consider such sources and address them as “many had hoped here in Europe” or is DTM struggling this much after Opel and previously Alfa Romeo backed out?
That article above is someone's wild imagination. It's all BS.
Old 01-08-08, 03:50 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

So all that work that Team Lexus has done went into this Racing Concept??

I remember reading something about that Team Lexus IS and Toyota not completely abandoning that car, instead popping up in another form later down the road. Maybe this is their general idea with obvious modifications (but that obviously could have changed now).
Old 01-09-08, 10:43 AM
joshmtx
Rookie

http://lexus.jp/brand/event/autosalon2008/

Do they currently run the SC430 in the Super GT series. I don't know much about this series. Is there any TV coverage here in the States? It looks like the IS F Racing Concept is just that right now. We'll all know in two days or less.
Old 01-09-08, 08:18 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by GFerg
So all that work that Team Lexus has done went into this Racing Concept??

I remember reading something about that Team Lexus IS and Toyota not completely abandoning that car, instead popping up in another form later down the road. Maybe this is their general idea with obvious modifications (but that obviously could have changed now).
How is this the case if Team Lexus doesn't even exist anymore?
Old 01-09-08, 09:41 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Josh, the Lexus SC430 dominated and won the Super GT (GT500 Driver & Team Championships) for 2006. However the Honda NSX reclaimed those titles for 2007.

Last edited by Badman Forever; 01-09-08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 10:11 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kattanh3
lol yea i read ur post today, here is an update...

I think they are confused as well, it can't be referred to as IS-F and IS 350 GT2 at the same time.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080108....le-mans-series

They are definitely confused because they don't know what they are talking about.

Here's an update to that original post.

[Update] After some further research, we have come to the conclusion that this is indeed not the IS-F Racer Concept which will be on show at the Tokyo Auto Salon. This is the IS 350 GT2, a project which was started in 2005 and canceled in 2006. It still stands to reason that the IS-F Racer Concept will head to the States rather than Europe, but the Japanese GT Series is of course still an option too.

So this update pretty much says that they originally gave out mis-information to begin with. Then they just phrased the update in a way to smoothly retract what they originally stated.

The GT2 project was canned long ago, this whole thread is based on speculation and people speculating further. If anyone can provide reliable information on an IS based race car debuting anywhere in the world this year, I'm interested to hear about it.

So far the information I've read from "worldcarfans" has been a waste of time.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 01-10-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-10-08, 08:58 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
How is this the case if Team Lexus doesn't even exist anymore?
agreed. there is no more team lexus, it's gone, so everything is just from lexus now

Quick Reply: IS-F Racing Concept (merged threads)