IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

1SICKTHOUGHT: What if the IS-F is "too hardcore"???

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-07, 12:16 PM
LexFather

Exclamation 1SICKTHOUGHT: What if the IS-F is "too hardcore"???

Looking at reviews, it seems overall opinion is this is a track car for the street. When you add a very nice sounding (could be interpreted as loud) V-8 and "HEY LOOK AT ME" styling, well, what IF, buyers think the car is just "too much"....

This is the true ANTI-LEXUS. Not the 2GS 400 or IS 300 anti-Lexus. Totally ANTI-LEXUS.

Will this car attract and keep loyal Lexus buyers who truly want a harder edged Lexus and/or will it attract people to the brand moving up from STis and EVOs etc who can appreciate its hardcore nature.

This is truly unchartered waters (again) for Lexus and Japanese brands as a whole.

Amazingly, I thought of instead of an IS-F"R" as in the other thread, but maybe a "toned" down IS-F?

Your thoughts...
Old 12-13-07, 12:51 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny you post that. im still trying to convince myself that the is-f would be as entertaining to drive as say, an m3...

after the reviews ive seen, i really cant see the is-f as being very hardcore at all.
maybe its a departure for lexus.. maybe.. but definitely not for japan.
Old 12-13-07, 01:02 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not worried about that in the least. Lexus has always paid more attention to ride quality and it seems they succeeded here based on the reviews so far. C/D called the ride "commendably mellow" and said that the "ride-handling balance was perhaps its greatest achievement" (obviously comparing it to other performance lux sedans). Winding Road's review also praised the ride quality.

R&T did say that the car was jittery on poor road surfaces, but it seemed to target the steering movement of the car on such surfaces more than the ride. Edmunds was the only one to criticize the ride quality in the reviews I've read so far, but I think they were comparing it to other Lexus sedans like the LS, not to performance cars.
Old 12-13-07, 06:17 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

no toning down please...........
Old 12-14-07, 08:51 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

It's not hardcore enough.

I've got an LX to haul around stuff in comfort.
I've got an LS to massage my butt.
I want something I can drive to the track, have a bunch of fun, and drive back.

Obviously the IS-F isn't meant to be an only car -- I hope that they kept that in mind designing it.
Old 12-17-07, 11:53 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you talking about, sure it is. IF this isn't a daily driver what is? A Porsche GT2 or GT3 isn't a daily driver, but a 50K lexus sure is. I think people are trying to make this car something it isn't. It is a semi fast car that handles decently, compared to a real sports car it pales in comparison (i.e Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, Audi R8 or even RS4) I mean it is going to be a great car, but it isn't a true sports car so don't try to make it out to be something it isn't.
I think you guys are getting a little caught up with the fact that it has 400+hp, who cares. My dads SL55 has 500+hp and it doesn't feel that fast compared compared to my friends 997 TT. Then again my friends porsche is about 1 sec faster to 60 than his car but my point is, is that it is not a TRUE sports car.
Old 12-18-07, 12:36 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd wait with a point of view on this untill I have driven one.
Old 12-18-07, 12:45 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
R&T did say that the car was jittery on poor road surfaces, but it seemed to target the steering movement of the car on such surfaces more than the ride.
So pretty much R&T is declaring that the IS-F will not be useful in the metro LA area...

Old 12-18-07, 02:27 PM
vip3r1850
Driver

Originally Posted by ffpower
So pretty much R&T is declaring that the IS-F will not be useful in the metro LA area...

What about New York, The Pothole State ??
Old 12-18-07, 03:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
What are you talking about, sure it is. IF this isn't a daily driver what is? A Porsche GT2 or GT3 isn't a daily driver, but a 50K lexus sure is. I think people are trying to make this car something it isn't. It is a semi fast car that handles decently, compared to a real sports car it pales in comparison (i.e Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, Audi R8 or even RS4) I mean it is going to be a great car, but it isn't a true sports car so don't try to make it out to be something it isn't.
I think you guys are getting a little caught up with the fact that it has 400+hp, who cares. My dads SL55 has 500+hp and it doesn't feel that fast compared compared to my friends 997 TT. Then again my friends porsche is about 1 sec faster to 60 than his car but my point is, is that it is not a TRUE sports car.
sports cars have nothing to do with horsepower count.
Old 12-18-07, 09:13 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Looking at reviews, it seems overall opinion is this is a track car for the street. When you add a very nice sounding (could be interpreted as loud) V-8 and "HEY LOOK AT ME" styling, well, what IF, buyers think the car is just "too much"....

This is the true ANTI-LEXUS. Not the 2GS 400 or IS 300 anti-Lexus. Totally ANTI-LEXUS.

Will this car attract and keep loyal Lexus buyers who truly want a harder edged Lexus and/or will it attract people to the brand moving up from STis and EVOs etc who can appreciate its hardcore nature.

This is truly unchartered waters (again) for Lexus and Japanese brands as a whole.

Amazingly, I thought of instead of an IS-F"R" as in the other thread, but maybe a "toned" down IS-F?

Your thoughts...
dude, you should be a writer for a car magazine. I thought this before and every time I see your longer posts, you're a great writer! lol, sorry I have no opinion on the subject.