IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Interesting IS-F info

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 08:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Disinformation can be more powerful than information. Also keep in mind the power rating is nominal. There will be variances in individual units, and possibly substantial ones. So the marketing numbers are "representative" not absolute.
Old 09-27-07, 09:21 PM
is-fan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are absolutely right. I believe that the 408 hp "from a source" is just more speculation at best. Seems to me it is just disinformation because it seems unreasonably low. I wouldn't be surprised if Lexus is purposely putting out this disinformation before they surprise us with the "real" official specs.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Disinformation can be more powerful than information. Also keep in mind the power rating is nominal. There will be variances in individual units, and possibly substantial ones. So the marketing numbers are "representative" not absolute.
Old 09-28-07, 11:59 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That would be my guess. It would mimic what they did with the Tundra's 5.7L V8 when they surprised everyone with the real specs for that engine.
Old 09-28-07, 12:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That would be my guess. It would mimic what they did with the Tundra's 5.7L V8 when they surprised everyone with the real specs for that engine.
Trucks and cars are different. Just because Toyota kept the Tundra specs secret (in order to hide it's towing capacity), which was a surpirse since no one expected Tundra to tow that much.

But, does not mean same trick will work here especially when Germans are famous for underrating most of their cars specs (with 380 WHP dyno, the new M3 is actually putting out close to 440 HP rather than 420 HP, the 335 TT always puts out 280 WHP, which means it is actually putting close to 330 HP) and in the light of 480 HP C63 AMG coming out next year and Audi RS5 with a turbocharged 480+ HP, I am not who are they going to shock in this case?
Old 09-28-07, 01:48 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Trucks and cars are different. Just because Toyota kept the Tundra specs secret (in order to hide it's towing capacity), which was a surpirse since no one expected Tundra to tow that much.

But, does not mean same trick will work here especially when Germans are famous for underrating most of their cars specs (with 380 WHP dyno, the new M3 is actually putting out close to 440 HP rather than 420 HP, the 335 TT always puts out 280 WHP, which means it is actually putting close to 330 HP) and in the light of 480 HP C63 AMG coming out next year and Audi RS5 with a turbocharged 480+ HP, I am not who are they going to shock in this case?
Toyota's overall philosophy is the same for all of it's vehicles. No matter what vehicle you're talking about, Toyota has historically kept specs a big secret until they actually released official specs. Leaks about future Toyota products are very rare. And Toyota in recent years has used disinformation or fake info for several future product launches making it even harder for the real info to get leaked early, and also making it tougher for the competition to know what Toyota has. The Tundra is just one example of this. Disinformation was used before the launch of the IS350, LS460, and most recently is being used for the new USDM Corolla.

Nobody here said anything about the IS-F beating an RS5 or C63 AMG in HP, so I don't see why you are taking this out of context and comparing all these cars.

My comments were that IS-F specs will surprise compared to the specs that people are hearing from "insider Lexus sources" and compared to people who think the IS-F will have a low amount of HP. Lexus is aiming to beat the gas guzzler tax with the IS-F, something which sorry to say most of the German competition has not achieved. Automatically this limits the amount of power that Lexus can tune the IS-F for.

This is not the time or place to be talking about how "famous" the Germans are for underrating their cars . There are enough examples of Germans overrating their cars as well as numerous examples of the Japanese underrating their machines.
Old 09-28-07, 01:57 PM
dgsvt
Driver

380 whp M3???? 480 hp C63??? 480+ Turbo RS5?? What are you talking about? Where are these numbers coming from? Where have you seen a dyno of a 2008 M3? OK... What I really want to know is when are you trading in the Corolla for the 08 M3?
Old 09-28-07, 03:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Nobody here said anything about the IS-F beating an RS5 or C63 AMG in HP, so I don't see why you are taking this out of context and comparing all these cars.

My comments were that IS-F specs will surprise compared to the specs that people are hearing from "insider Lexus sources" and compared to people who think the IS-F will have a low amount of HP. Lexus is aiming to beat the gas guzzler tax with the IS-F, something which sorry to say most of the German competition has not achieved. Automatically this limits the amount of power that Lexus can tune the IS-F for.
Point taken. I am in disagreement with the philosophy that keeping the specifications confidential especially when it is a few months to 1 year after it was first revealed to the general public and does seem very uncommon.

I gave those examples since to pretty much prove this point that there is info, dynos and impressions available since those cars will be launched here in North America sometime in spring or summer next year.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-28-07 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-30-07, 01:05 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I was at the taste of lexus today and they had the pearl white IS-F with 2 tone black/white interior, not a fan of the black and white seats it was already dirty from people sitting in it.
Old 10-01-07, 04:24 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

We have confirmation from Flipside909 (according to his sources) that the car will have over 414HP and that all other numbers being given to Lexus employees are fake. His sources are very reliable as they've proved themselves in the past.
Just to clear the record, I did not make that statement. I confirmed with my direct sources that the 407 HP number given at the Taste of Lexus - Irvine was in fact an erroneous number that was being told.
Old 10-01-07, 09:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
Just to clear the record, I did not make that statement. I confirmed with my direct sources that the 407 HP number given at the Taste of Lexus - Irvine was in fact an erroneous number that was being told.
I never implied that you yourself made the statement, only that you confirmed with your sources about it .
Old 10-02-07, 02:02 PM
EtherSpill
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cherplex
I was at the taste of lexus today and they had the pearl white IS-F with 2 tone black/white interior, not a fan of the black and white seats it was already dirty from people sitting in it.
Has anyone sat in the back of the IS-F yet? I read a report somewhere that said Toyota made an effort to increase rear legroom by redoing the front seats. My major knock on the IS-350 I sat in was that the rear was very uncomfortable for six foot tall adults.
Old 10-02-07, 02:17 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EtherSpill
Has anyone sat in the back of the IS-F yet? I read a report somewhere that said Toyota made an effort to increase rear legroom by redoing the front seats. My major knock on the IS-350 I sat in was that the rear was very uncomfortable for six foot tall adults.
Not really.

It may be designed the same as the regular '08 2IS. The back side of the front seats were scooped out a bit, giving miniscule knee room. It helps, but not significantly.
Old 10-02-07, 07:49 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by EtherSpill
I have this past weekend. Same legroom, but as mentioned by Phil above, the front seatbacks are a little more recessed compared to previous, thanks to the revised seat pocket.