IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 Lexus IS-F to Premiere at NAIAS on January 8, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 03:13 PM
davidbenji
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I've looked at many of the pictures and even some video of the car, and while I am very excited about it, I think I will probably still give a slight nod to the RS4. The thing that I appreciate about the Audi is that it looks fast and mean, but still classy and expensive. It's still an elegant car, but with a flair of aggression.

I really like Lexus' idea with the IS-F and i don't doubt that it's going to be a beast to drive, and I have been trying REALLY hard to like the exterior of the car but I can't seem to fall in love. I hate to say it, and many of you know how much I love Lexus, but the car truthfully looks ricey to me. The front bumper just reminds me of so many Civics that I have seen, and the side skirts/vents in the fenders are a little too over the top. I also can't force myself to like the wheels either...I just don't like them. I do love the rear end though. I wish the grille utilized a different looking plastic mesh, because that looks like every other Japanese sedan over the last five years.

All in all, it looks fast...bust "fast" as in tacky and after market tacked-on fast. The RS4 still looks stately and elegant...and fast.

All of that said, those who have seen the car in person on this board (ryan, others) have said that it looks good so I will reserve final judgment until I see it in person.
I couldnt agree with you more. Personally, I think the stacked exhausts looks like a gimick, it would look soo much cleaner in the back if they would have done 2 large tips or if the quad was done side by sides .ie RS4 and M3. Personally, the body modifactions looks like an aftermarket body kit for civic. I would be all over this car if it was done tastefully...bulged fenders, larger rocker panels, and more agressive front end styling.
Old 04-01-07, 09:28 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbenji
I couldnt agree with you more. Personally, I think the stacked exhausts looks like a gimick, it would look soo much cleaner in the back if they would have done 2 large tips.
I so wish they had done 2 large tips like you said. The rear of the IS350 is perfect the way it is. Going slightly more aggressive would've been perfect, but those diagonal quad exhausts are just weird.

A huge reason why the IS-F is garish looking is because of Ultrasonic Blue. It's such an attention grabbing color that also exaggerates the strange styling points of the car. I think if Lexus had used Black or SGM in Detroit or Chicago some of us might have been more impressed.

Even though I have some issues with the exterior, I still find the car appealing. SGM with that two-tone interior would be my choice.
Old 04-01-07, 10:22 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to consider that on one hand, Lexus HAD to do something different with this car. They couldn't just do the same thing as M, RS, and AMG and with this being the first "F" car it probably needs to be rather dramatic.

That being said, I can understand why the car is so garish looking, I just don't LOVE it and could see it looking better if certain things were changed. I think the rear end is one of those dramatic points...that I actually really like. The diagonally stacked pipes are different, and something that nobody else has done. For some reason I really like what they have done with it...I just don't care for the fender vents and front bumper, or wheels. But again, nobody else has styling elements like these.
Old 05-17-07, 05:47 AM
JessePS

Any concrete date set for the release of the car?
Old 05-17-07, 07:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

January 2008. It has not changed.
Old 05-17-07, 08:28 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Not sure when the release is for the Canadian market, but here's Lexus USA info that was just displayed not too long ago at Toyotafest 07 in Long Beach,CA

Old 05-17-07, 10:04 AM
JessePS

Originally Posted by flipside909
Not sure when the release is for the Canadian market, but here's Lexus USA info that was just displayed not too long ago at Toyotafest 07 in Long Beach,CA

np thx guess i'll go into to the dealership.

Hmm ... be nice by Spring next year