IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Official exhaust system setup discussion/video/news thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 06:29 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Official exhaust system setup discussion/video/news thread

Seems like this is a commonly reoccurring topic, with threads that get lost in the archives. Rather than compile every video and setup in the OP, I'll just link the post number within this thread with the header/system combo for quick reference as people post em.

Otherwise, just post up questions, concerns, news, videos, pics, whatever of your setups or plans.
Old 03-19-17, 05:30 PM
FFM
Racer

Perhaps one of the vendors can confirm. But I took a screen grab of Apex'i stating they are going to develop an exhaust for the ISF soon

Old 03-19-17, 07:11 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad you started this thread FFM! This is my custom full exhaust from stock header back.

Custom 2.5 inch x pipe to borla pro xs mufflers
Primary cats are gutted
No secondary cats
No resonators

Old 03-19-17, 10:40 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to replace my 'L' logos with a 'J' like this guy^^^. lol
Old 03-20-17, 01:56 AM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Glad you started this thread FFM! This is my custom full exhaust from stock header back.

Custom 2.5 inch x pipe to borla pro xs mufflers
Primary cats are gutted
No secondary cats
No resonators

https://youtu.be/VntmGuH_Fio
sounds mean af! How's the drone with this setup?
Old 03-20-17, 07:47 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DjMarkOne
sounds mean af! How's the drone with this setup?
There is drone around the 2-2.3k RPM mark but it isn't too loud or annoying.
Old 03-25-17, 09:54 AM
FFM
Racer

Anyone done headers w/ rear muffler delete?

Waiting on a few exhausts to be released and thinking this will be a good way to start while I wait.
Old 04-17-17, 05:35 AM
FFM
Racer

Well Meraki was having a sale on Borla's so figured I'd ****** one up to get me through the summer until some of the new options arrive on scene. Little review based on my experience after a week or so now.

First of all, thanks Josh for convincing me to pull the trigger haha. I am very pleased all around. Plus am looking forward to doing my own style muffler delete similar to the Bazooka in a few weeks. With that said, with factory headers and this exhaust I feel it's the ultimate bang for your buck daily driver exhaust.

Price vs Quality: Everything fits up just right, and for the price especially if it's on sale, it's hard to beat. The bends are smooth, and joints fit together quite easily. Some will argue that the slip joints are cheap, but I had no issues on my first go around getting the piping aligned, adjusted, and tightened with any leaks. Which this is likely the largest reason for the cost savings by not having it flanged.

Fitment: It's a little snug wiggling the resonated center section during install but once you clear some of the shields I didn't see any concerning points of contact with the chassis. Also something I don't see many people note, is that the center resonator is not an X type, which is awesome. It's straight through on each side. Much prefered than the turbulent crossover type.

Sound: It's quiet when you don't care (freeway commuting) and burly when you want it. Low throttle, it's seriously not that far off from stock which is pretty awesome especially leaving my neighborhood at 4:15am. Mid throttle sounds beefy, but with our gearbox it's quite easy to stay below 2k and quietly sneak out of the block. Cabin drone is a non factor. It's a V8 purring at best. I don't even hear it over my music in the mornings, which I generally don't have blasting that early. Compared to many other vehicles I have had its marginal at best and would never see it getting to annoying status.

WOT the intake still has the ability to overpower the exhaust from inside the cabin. Which is why a muffler delete may interest people more to increase the noise level passed the milder as is configuration. Outside my buddy said it has absolutely zero rasp, and just sounds throaty. The fact that the center resonator is damn near it's own muffler, would likely explain why the Bazooka isn't as nasty sounding as straight piped/res delete factory setups.

Overall impressions are this is a great buy for the intermediate exhaust noise enthusiasts. I do think some may feel it's a bit quiet, but I like the fact that I have the ability to swap between muffled and deleted ends. Which will please both parties and have the ability to do through bumper tips. Which it doesn't look possible to do 3.5" tips on the Borla mufflers due to how close the outlets are placed to each other. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but have only seen 3" tips added which personally I feel look just a bit too small.

There's a ton of videos for the Borla, so thought an in cabin rev would be something a bit different.
Old 04-18-17, 07:22 AM
V8Juice
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been looking at exhaust combos for some time now and noticed that Meraki had an exhaust combo that was ridiculously loud. I think it was called stupidly loudest exhaust or something. They also had one with the Hayward & Scott exhaust just wondering if that exhaust is a good investment if I wants loud?
Old 04-18-17, 08:54 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

No problem FFM, can't go wrong with the Borla, such a great bang for your buck!

V8 Juice, the Hayward exhaust was one of my favorite.. Sounded like a c63 amg!

Contact us for pricing!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-18-17, 02:11 PM
themap
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
No problem FFM, can't go wrong with the Borla, such a great bang for your buck!

V8 Juice, the Hayward exhaust was one of my favorite.. Sounded like a c63 amg!

Contact us for pricing!

-Josh
Does the Hayward also include the oval tips to keep it stock looking (bit with real tips)?

Joez vs Hayward.. which one would you pick and why?
Old 04-18-17, 04:05 PM
FFM
Racer

Originally Posted by themap
Does the Hayward also include the oval tips to keep it stock looking (bit with real tips)?

If you are going purely for exhaust note, the H&S is hands down the gnarliest available for the F. No lie sounds like a C63 with that mean grunt. However, there's no dyno evidence to support my claim, but in general an x pipe is advised with the scavenging effect in mind in order to make optimal power. The H&S is a divorced system thus why it sounds as such.
Old 04-18-17, 04:26 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Look what I found,

Old 04-18-17, 06:14 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by themap

Yes sir comes with the real oval tips!

I've had both exhausts on my car. The Hayward is more favorable to a lot of people because of the sound and how unique the system is.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-18-17, 08:48 PM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the market for an exhaust but I'm having a really hard time deciding. As I'm after an exhaust that sounds great. I'm from the NSX crowd and there were two choices if you wanted a great exhaust. First was a GT one the other was a gruppe m. I went with the gruppe m. In my search for an isf exhaust they all sound pretty bad or uninspiring as they're loud but only have 1 or 2 vocal octaves. I've always thought that a v8 sounded much better than a v6. But then again the c63 and the e90/e92s sound amazing.

The best combo so far is the novel setup and then a novel header paired with a hks SSM.

Greddy Ti - seems really well built but doesn't sound all that great. From the videos I've watched there's no difference in the rpm ranges.

Hayward and Scott sounds good but it may be a little too loud for a daily. Especially paired up with PPE headers.

Please correct me or inform me about these two exhaust as I'm looking to purchase one of them soon as the novel is way out of my price range. 6-7k for the combo I can do but not 13k.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Official exhaust system setup discussion/video/news thread