IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission Issue/Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 08:57 AM
PearlIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issue/Problem

A little background on my issue/problem.

I had a couple codes pop up while driving and was able to figure out the problem. It was a simple fix but I had unplugged my battery to clear the codes. The next time I drove the car I noticed that when under very light throttle shifting from second to third the RPM's jumped around 200 to 300 RPM then engaged 3rd. I had never noticed this before clearing the codes. It hasn't been causing any problems. When under normal/heavy throttle it doesn't do this. It shifts directly to the next gear. It also doesn't do this while in sport mode.

If this was the only issue I wouldn't be writing this thread. Well yesterday was my first day outside of my extended platinum warranty. While getting on the highway under normal acceleration this happened between 4th and 5th. I was able to replicate it 1 more time but the issue didn't repeat itself every time I tried. So the second to third issue has been there for 6 months. I mentioned something to the Lexus dealership I service my car at but they didn't seem concerned. I don't beat on this car. I get on it but it's pretty rare. The best way to describe how its shifting is like the car is a normal econo transmission. It's very strange. I'm starting to wonder if i'm having a solenoid issue.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Cheer

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-03-17 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-02-17, 09:14 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

of course they won't be concerned as they don't want to deal with warranty work. there's a thread on transmission fluid change, read that and report back.
Old 03-02-17, 09:14 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Do you know what codes they were? Were they transmission related?

I would start be having them check the fluid level..
Old 03-02-17, 09:19 AM
PearlIS
Rookie

The codes were due to the intake pipe leaking additional air into the system. None related. I've read through many different threads on transmission issues but wasn't able to find one that was similar to my issue.

Its funny you say have them check the fluid. I asked if they would and he said it was too much work and it wasn't worth doing. It's a closed system and the fluid doesn't need to be check till you reach 100k. Kicking myself for not pushing the issue more.
Old 03-02-17, 10:10 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Like mentioned above, all these symptoms seem low transmission fluid related. If thats the statement the dealership gave you being it to much work? Chances are they can't service it. Start looking for a new dealership to handle the case. If this issue was documented, I'm sure they can work with you.
Old 03-02-17, 10:21 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PearlIS
A little background on my issue/problem.

I had a couple codes pop up while driving and was able to figure out the problem. It was a simple fix but I had unplugged my battery to clear the codes. The next time I drove the car I noticed that when under very light throttle shifting from second to third the RPM's jumped around 200 to 300 RPM's then engaged 3rd. I had never noticed this before clearing the codes. It hasn't been causing any problems. When under normal/heavy throttle it doesn't do this. It shifts directly to the next gear. It also doesn't do this while in sport mode.

If this was the only issue I wouldn't be writing this thread. Well yesterday was my first day outside of my extended platinum warranty. While getting on the highway under normal acceleration this happened between 4th and 5th. I was able to replicate it 1 more time but the issue didn't repeat itself every time I tried. So the second to third issue has been there for 6 months. I mentioned something to the Lexus dealership I service my car at but they didn't seem concerned. I don't beat on this car. I get on it but it's pretty rare. The best way to describe how its shifting is like the car is a normal econo transmission. It's very strange. I'm starting to wonder if i'm having a solenoid issue.

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Cheer
sounds like you had same as what mine was doing / but mine was 7-8 shift, was getting a flare ( same slip of 200-300 RPM ) but this is a fluid level related issue....had mine changed and new filter @ 100K and it has not done it since, these transmissions are VERY VERY sensitive to fluid levels....even if its just a little bit low you may get it when its cold out side.
Old 03-02-17, 10:26 AM
PearlIS
Rookie

This is all great information. I'll definitely get it checked out then. The car only has 38K miles. A little surprised i'm having issues with it.
Old 03-02-17, 10:29 AM
PearlIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Like mentioned above, all these symptoms seem low transmission fluid related. If thats the statement the dealership gave you being it to much work? Chances are they can't service it. Start looking for a new dealership to handle the case. If this issue was documented, I'm sure they can work with you.
It's a brand new dealership and massive so i'm assuming they can take care of my issue. I really believe it's the guy i'm working with. Really haven't been a fan of him. Maybe it's time to request someone else.
Old 03-02-17, 12:06 PM
davecape2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it over to Arrowhead Lexus and talk with Lee. I just had mine changed about a month ago.
Old 03-02-17, 12:33 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlIS
It's a brand new dealership and massive so i'm assuming they can take care of my issue. I really believe it's the guy i'm working with. Really haven't been a fan of him. Maybe it's time to request someone else.
yes, some service advisors can be very challenging to deal with. Your concern is the car, instead ask your current advisor or another advisor which tech has more or less experience with the ISF? And get on board with that techs service advisor team. I've already gone through 3 service advisors. Just recently, when I scheduled an appointment for the valley leak plate, they told me your advisor no longer works here. I requested for the tech and they said he works for this team now. So that's I where I go...lol
Old 03-02-17, 01:45 PM
PearlIS
Rookie

I was just reading through the Mother of All Transmission Fluid Change threads and I couldn't believe it when I got to the 3rd page someone was having the same issue with the same gears. He ended up being 1/2 quart low. He never updated the thread so I'm assuming that was the problem.

Sent all the information to the dealership and hoping they will cover it under my old warranty. If not, sounds like I need to get it done anyway. Really hoping this is the issue. Seems like a simple fix if so.
Old 03-06-17, 02:56 PM
PearlIS
Rookie

I'll update the thread as I have more information. Hopefully this will be helpful to anyone that has the same problem as I do. After I sent my email with my questions and concerns the Director Fixed Operation got a hold of me and said he would take care of the diagnostic and fluid if needed at no cost to me. They are also taking care of the airbag recall. Should have some additional information in the coming days. Hopefully it's just a fluid level issue.
Old 03-06-17, 03:04 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Having had a 2006 GS transmission rebuild done a while back, I don't have optimistic comments to leave, but F's transmission is supposedly sturdier and less flawed in design than the infamous 6-speed auto in 2006. You should be alright.