IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Advice for a future ISF owner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 10:57 PM
Adziu
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Advice for a future ISF owner?

Hey everyone I currently own a 2007 IS250 AWD and have been doing some research on the infamous ISF lately since I intend on purchasing one sometime this year. So ever since I had found out about the ISF when it came out, it has been an interesting car to me. The IS250 isn't my first Lexus since I have had a few IS300's in my past as well as an ES300. Now as far as it comes to the ISF what are the things I should look out for when looking at one? How is the maintenance on it? (Like oil changes, tires, brakes). Now I have been hearing things about them like the 2011+ being a better F to own due to suspension changes. Being 23 years old I am looking to get an 08-09 F since they happen to fall in my price range. How are they after 100K miles? Everyone that I know with an ISF has them under 100K miles, so I would to hear the input on them once they hit 100K and go up. Now since this is a car I plan on keeping for a long time I'd like to prepare myself for one when the time comes.

thanks!
Old 02-27-17, 11:11 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Go for the latest possible 2011+ if you are going to keep it, you wont regret it. There is a stack of reading just in this forum good luck.
Old 02-27-17, 11:27 PM
Adziu
Driver

Originally Posted by isfvss
Go for the latest possible 2011+ if you are going to keep it, you wont regret it. There is a stack of reading just in this forum good luck.
My budget is kinda tight making $400 a week so it doesn't really give me much of a choice but to go with a 2008 since I see a ton of those that would fall into my payments. I mean at the end of the day it's still an ISF. I mean what else is different besides the 2010+ having Torsen LSD and having LEDs in the headlights (i can always buy those since they are around on eBay or wherever for sale), and the speedometer being different from 2012 (correct me if i'm wrong). I do intend on doing some little mods to it like JoeZ catback PPE headers and JoeZ intake along with swift springs to lower it a little bit.
Old 02-27-17, 11:29 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If you get an 08/09 because it is in your price range, look for the following:

1. Brake Pads - stock pads dust/contaminate your wheels like crazy. Upgrade to a better pad when you can. Most use Project Mu NS400 for street use. A lot less dusting, and works just as well as stock.

2. Water pump - is it leaking? If not, it will in the future. Be prepared to install a new water pump. While you are there, you might as well install a new thermostat since an 08/09 is getting to be near 10 years old. (See also valley plate leak - # 6 in my list)

3. Rear Lower control arm bushings - Figs and RR Racing sell similar products that will help reduce front inner tire wear.

4. Nav touch screen - If the car you are looking at has had a life in the sun, be prepared to replace the touch screen for your display (if it hasn't already been done).

5. Ride quality - If you can't stand the "harsh" ride of an 08, you might want to look into upgrading to the 2012 shocks/springs and necessary hardware or an aftermarket coilover setup.

6. Valley plate leak - some of the early F models had/have a problem with the valley plate leaking coolant. Can be pricey to repair. Make sure the car you are looking at is not leaking coolant down the back of the engine. (Mechanic might be able to see this if he knows where to look).

7. Recalls - By this point, most of the F's out there should have had the recalls done (except airbag recall). If the car you are looking at hasn't had the recall work done, be prepared to be without a car for a few days when you do get the work done.
Old 02-28-17, 03:47 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

My friend, if you are making 400$/week you ought to be thankful that you have an IS250 and call it a day. No offense, but your post seems somewhat dillusional. A Joe Z exhaust and install will cost you a months salary on its own. How about insurance? How about V8 worth of gas? How about winter tires/wheels in IL? Unless you get an 08 that has NONE of the issues above, plus doesn't need tires (which they almost always do) and doesn't need rotors, etc etc) you are looking to go into serious debt to support your hobby. Good luck, but I'd think twice.
The following 5 users liked this post by Jz39:
ImportISF (03-01-17), isfvss (02-28-17), lobuxracer (02-28-17), shu5892001 (03-01-17), YeShrug (06-22-18)
Old 02-28-17, 06:10 AM
Adziu
Driver

Originally Posted by Jz39
My friend, if you are making 400$/week you ought to be thankful that you have an IS250 and call it a day. No offense, but your post seems somewhat dillusional. A Joe Z exhaust and install will cost you a months salary on its own. How about insurance? How about V8 worth of gas? How about winter tires/wheels in IL? Unless you get an 08 that has NONE of the issues above, plus doesn't need tires (which they almost always do) and doesn't need rotors, etc etc) you are looking to go into serious debt to support your hobby. Good luck, but I'd think twice.
Insurance is the same as IS250 because i already called and checked. I spend a boatload of money on the crappy awd drivetrain killing my gas. I'd rather upgrade to something I will keep for a long time. Still got plenty of time. As far as installing stuff i don't have to worry since i have access to a lift at a shop and what not. Rather do the work myself than pay some shop to rip me off. On another note Lexuses aren't cheap to maintain either. IS250 is slow and i need power
Old 02-28-17, 06:42 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Adziu
Insurance is the same as IS250 because i already called and checked. I spend a boatload of money on the crappy awd drivetrain killing my gas. I'd rather upgrade to something I will keep for a long time. Still got plenty of time. As far as installing stuff i don't have to worry since i have access to a lift at a shop and what not. Rather do the work myself than pay some shop to rip me off. On another note Lexuses aren't cheap to maintain either. IS250 is slow and i need power
I would be very very VERY surprised if the insurance is the same for a 23 year old. Get an actual vin from an ISF and call your insurance again. They maybe mistakenly giving you a quote for an IS F sport. And no they won't be responsible for giving you the earlier lower quote after you buy the ISF and find out the rate jumps significantly, people here have experienced sticker shock when they go to insure their car.

Maintenancewise, oil isn't too bad, but the brakes should give you some pause in terms of price, and it's not just labor, it'll be parts.
Old 02-28-17, 06:53 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I have an 08 with a little over 100k miles and so far it's been super reliable. I never experienced the faulty water pump, valley plate or frozen nav screen. I did encountered front wheels hubs going bad in which I did replaced them both @ 94k miles. Besides that, basic maintenance was the only work I had done. I plan to keep my F for a very long time so I usually replace fluids and filters a little earlier then usual.

NOTE: Brake pads, front rotors, and tires GO OUT FAST on this car. If you drive it slow...it should be fine but if you push it hard with smiles on your face, be prepared to pay $$$ for these items.

Last edited by idoke1; 02-28-17 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 08:05 AM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

drive it.. don't garage it..
Old 02-28-17, 10:34 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

If the numbers and budget allows for it, an IS F will be a definite upgrade to your current vehicle. But I'd forget about the mods and additional parts, unless some are absolutely necessary (brake pads, tires, oil, etc.).

I know the better bet would be to find a 2011MY, but if it's not financially feasible at this time, there isn't anything wrong with the 08-09 IS F. It might not have the Torsen LSD, the newer headlight design as with the later years, or the upgraded suspension, but you first have to make sure you account for the items you will be utilizing everytime you start the car.

-Insurance CAN be quoted to what you are paying currently, but I'd opt for as much as full coverage as the budget allows. Being 23, rates will still be somewhat high. The upside to this is that in about 2 years, rates should drop significantly. I've owned my F for nine years (Feb. 29th being the ownership date), and honestly, I didn't see a drastic decrease in my premium until I was about 25-26.

-Wear and tear items will need replacing. With an IS F, it's much faster than the 250, so brake pads and tires will wear. Nothing major, but tires especially can eat into the budget if it's not planned for ahead of time.

-Maintenance was something 2008ISF and idoke1 touched on greatly. Having a first year or second year IS F means it has more recalls and maintenance items that need to be addressed. The water pump can be a DIY, but I'm not entirely sure if the valley plate can be. And this beast takes nearly 10 quarts of oil on every change. Be prepared to handle some jugs haha.

And after all these items are accouted for, then you can prep for mods. It only makes sense to take care of the car first before adding items to it. Wheels, suspension, aero/aethetics, and the rest will all be available to you. But you definitely have to make sure that budget is in order. Having owned my F for so long, tires, brake pads, and oil changes are all she needs to give you unlimited smiles per gallon. Take care of her, and she'll never let you down.

Best of luck to you my friend, and take pics when you do get your IS F.
Old 02-28-17, 11:07 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

High miles = more maintenance. 120k miles service is gonna be $1200-1500. Around 100k you probably need valve clearance adjustment too. Car is V8 and city driving will get you less then 15mpg. Tires are more expensive then IS250 17s, winter set is needed....Another $1500. So basically 1 major service and winter set will cost you 2 month salary....Up to you....

Last edited by kolyan; 02-28-17 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-28-17, 11:10 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im 20 and my insurance actually went down getting into the ISF from an accord at 19, and is still relatively low so thats probably not an issue. Keep in mind although these cars are very solid things will wear out now that its getting close to 10 years old... I just payed ~$3000 for a bad starter motor, replaced the radiator at the same time which was not cheap either. If you can do these things yourself for (much) cheaper then it might not be so bad but if you are buying an 08 and planning to keep it these things will go bad and they won't be cheap, it will likely not be a car you just need to put gas and oil in to keep it running forever at this age.

+1 on saving and buying a 2011 or up in another year or so.
Old 02-28-17, 01:02 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

+2 I would call that insurance company again. NO WAY in hell your insurance is staying the same. It's a v8 and alot more expensive to insure than an IS250. My insurance when up over $300/per year going from a GS to an IS-F
Old 02-28-17, 01:29 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Well, others have mentioned it but let's break this down....
you male approximately $1200 per month. Your payments will be $400-$500 per month. Insurance $200 per month (minimum). That's $600-$700 gone per month. If this is your only car, you'll run thru oil changes in NO TIME....Let's be generous and say $100 per month oil change and $100 per month gas. We are at $800-900 gone of your month salary ($300-$400 left). Can't forget, you have to eat....Being generous again (if you don't eat much), $100 per month. Other miscellaneous items to live on monthly (clothes/shoes, hygiene items, tools you may need to work on your car, etc etc), being generous again, $100. That's $100-$200 left of your monthly salary. Multiply that by 12 and we have $1200-2400 left PER YEAR. I'm sure you vacation here and there....And may have a lady or 2 you wanna take out....Or family members to buy gifts for for bdays/Xmas.....Bro, you could be down to $1k per year after all necessary things are paid for.
We haven't even gotten to any maintenance items (valley plate leak, approximately $1k, brake pads and rotors, all over $1k, water pump/radiator/timing belt/thermostat $1k, body/paint protection/cleaning, maybe a few hundred per year, etc). And God forbid you get a ticket....Lawyer fees and insurance hikes here we come....
Let's not mention if you decide you want to move out of your parents house.....Or get forced out.... Easily $500-900 gone per month for your own place

Point is, I believe you're far in over your head here with this car given your salary. You won't be able to properly maintain the car, which will lead to more problems sooner than normal. I'm not here to tell you to not get the car, just pointing out the obvious (or maybe NOT so obvious). Of course you could get a better job/earn more money but reconsider before you force yourself to live miserably until the car is paid for/until you get better pay. An is350 will be a big bump in performance for you, you could get one with lower miles (requiring less maintenance), and overall cost of ownership is significantly cheaper than the F.

Thanks for reading!

PS:. With leaving yourself with under $2k a year to yourself, forget headers, exhaust, etc. FBO+tune is well over $4k, before any installation. Would take you 2-4 years to save up for this things at the rate you're at now.

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 02-28-17 at 10:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vitveet:
ImportISF (03-01-17), lobuxracer (02-28-17)
Old 02-28-17, 01:44 PM
mikha619
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
Let's be generous and say $100 per month oil change and $100 per month gas.

V.
An oil change every month?!? Never heard of that. And if he has access to a lift and plans on doing the work himself, I'm sure the oil change won't cost him 100 bucks either.

Quick Reply: Advice for a future ISF owner?