IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

LC 500 One Take video......

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-17, 05:38 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Yeah I think this is shooting for that 650 coupe or non AMG 550 coupe crowd. I think the problem will be with the LCF which is going to be competing at the M and AMG level so will have to keep the MSRP down if possible, and add a ton more power.
Old 02-20-17, 06:04 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Im sure it's simply to add more to their lineup and to cater to different demographics.
How different are those demographics though? An RCF fully loaded is nearly 80k already. And it's not like the LC has much more power. It just doesn't make sense to me. And I can imagine some RCF customers are probably pissed that after just a couple years there is already a coupe one upping them, certainly by looks, if not by performance.
Old 02-20-17, 06:22 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
How different are those demographics though? An RCF fully loaded is nearly 80k already. And it's not like the LC has much more power. It just doesn't make sense to me. And I can imagine some RCF customers are probably pissed that after just a couple years there is already a coupe one upping them, certainly by looks, if not by performance.
I doubt it. The LC will be such a low volume car (400 world wide) you'll probably hardly ever see it on the road.
Old 02-20-17, 08:11 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
Yeah I think this is shooting for that 650 coupe or non AMG 550 coupe crowd. I think the problem will be with the LCF which is going to be competing at the M and AMG level so will have to keep the MSRP down if possible, and add a ton more power.
I think your right. I actually think another main competitor might be the Maserati GT. It's about 130K, has 407-460hp pending trim and weighs north of 4K lbs. It would indeed be interesting to see how the F version is developed, I see around mid to low 500s. I don't see the MSRP being lower with more power than AMG/M models.
Old 02-20-17, 10:48 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I doubt it. The LC will be such a low volume car (400 world wide) you'll probably hardly ever see it on the road.
That's 400 per month.

Ken.
Old 02-20-17, 11:11 PM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LC will be a very nice car to hold on to used, looks great and the interior is another class above and no need to worry about costly repairs or maintenance of the german rivals (s class, 6&7 series) which means this will hold its value well. But the LCF will be the big game changer for lexus, I am hoping it's way more than 600hp and under 150k (preferably 120-130k) that will make it a bargain over the AMG GTS, F type SVR, aston or Bentley for twice the money...anticipation!
Old 02-21-17, 01:56 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The base prices are on a different level. What demographics? Quite frankly, the ones with real deep pockets. The LC looks to have a more mature and classy styling interior and exterior design. A fully loaded LC is already over 100k.
Old 02-21-17, 03:55 AM
Jz39
Advanced

^^^I get it. I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here just because it seems odd that LEXUS would bring out another 2+2 coupe so soon after the RCF--I can't think of another company with as few models in their line up that has two 2+2 coupes nearing the 100k range. Maybe if it was a 2 seater and/or convertible I could I could better see its reason for existence.

$20-30k sticker difference is big, but it's not like the difference between 50k and 100k--an LCF would surely increase that price difference, but what is a F version going to bring? The LCF already has the F bag of goodies and as a 2+2 it doesn't seem to make sense to try to turn it into an LFA replacement. If I was an RCF owner that could've stretched another 20k+, I would have been pretty pissed to see this come out. Plus, given its likely exclusivity, I bet it will hold resale value much better than the RCF.

Im assuming that Lexus will use the LC to usher in a new direction for future models and are not too worried about sales, so for that reason I can understand to some degree--but even that comes into a bit of question when the top line model rolls out with the same V8 powertrain, at least for now. And slapping a couple of turbos onto this car doesn't seem in line with its luxury 2+2 image. Plus, that engine bay looked pretty damn tight.
Old 02-21-17, 08:31 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

The difference is the RC base starts at $40k, with F model at $65k and usually adds $5-15k for options. So you can spend $80k and look 90% the same as a leased base model. The LC500 and hybrid start at $90k+ with the LCF likely at $120k or more and definitely have a more unique and well balanced design along with low numbers. Where the RCF I still think looks horrendous, the LC500 is a sexier BMW i8 and as attention grabbing as the gorgeous F Type.

At first I couldn't understand two expensive coupes with similar performance either, but it works for BMW, Audi, Benz, so why not? Have to give Lexus major props for offering NA V8's when so many are switching to turbo options. This is why the ISF appealed to me. Although they didn't get much attention in the beginning I think more people will start to see what a performance value the F line offers in the used/new market.
Old 02-21-17, 10:04 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^I get it. I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here just because it seems odd that LEXUS would bring out another 2+2 coupe so soon after the RCF--I can't think of another company with as few models in their line up that has two 2+2 coupes nearing the 100k range. Maybe if it was a 2 seater and/or convertible I could I could better see its reason for existence.

$20-30k sticker difference is big, but it's not like the difference between 50k and 100k--an LCF would surely increase that price difference, but what is a F version going to bring? The LCF already has the F bag of goodies and as a 2+2 it doesn't seem to make sense to try to turn it into an LFA replacement. If I was an RCF owner that could've stretched another 20k+, I would have been pretty pissed to see this come out. Plus, given its likely exclusivity, I bet it will hold resale value much better than the RCF.

Im assuming that Lexus will use the LC to usher in a new direction for future models and are not too worried about sales, so for that reason I can understand to some degree--but even that comes into a bit of question when the top line model rolls out with the same V8 powertrain, at least for now. And slapping a couple of turbos onto this car doesn't seem in line with its luxury 2+2 image. Plus, that engine bay looked pretty damn tight.
On a side note, I really do hope lexus come out with a LFA replacement (hopefully LCF) that is more accessible. LFA being almost 400k, is a limited collector's items that doesnt really do much for lexus (and honestly,if I have 400k I go for speciale or lp640 SV) - you dont see it anywhere other than press. Lexus need a sub 200k car that competes against R8 aston SVR NSX to let people know it's serious about F performance brand
Old 02-21-17, 12:11 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like a 100k+ rcf to me
Old 02-21-17, 04:27 PM
Jz39
Advanced

If they come out with an LFA replacement to boot, it would be unprecedented in this day and age that a company would have as many coupes in its lineup as sedans...CT, GS, IS vs RC, LC, LFA.
Old 02-21-17, 04:49 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA
?.....Where the RCF I still think looks horrendous, the LC500 is a sexier BMW i8 and as attention grabbing as the gorgeous F Type.
Sadly, I have to agree on this one. The RCF is just not a good looking car. It catches your eye the first time you see it with its edgy styling, but that fades real quick, both inside and out. That and the fact that I think the RCF has some of the worst looking wheel options I've ever seen....
Old 02-21-17, 05:33 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

RCF is kind of a disaster. The only thing it has going for it is they kept it NA where all others didn't. Which honestly, also makes it slower than the competition. The weight INCREASE over the ISF was also quite stupid.

This looks like a well refined luxury coupe. LCF better be a monster. And a new ISF better be in the works to bail out the RC.
Old 02-21-17, 10:55 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by FFM
RCF is kind of a disaster. The only thing it has going for it is they kept it NA where all others didn't. Which honestly, also makes it slower than the competition. The weight INCREASE over the ISF was also quite stupid.

This looks like a well refined luxury coupe. LCF better be a monster. And a new ISF better be in the works to bail out the RC.
In my opinion, the '19 RCF will be it for RCF. Don't think there will be a redesign. The LCF (2020 model, supposedly releasing fall of '19) and LC500 will be the only 2 performance coupe's from Lexus.
If the ISF v2 is announced, I'll have a hard time choosing between the LCF and ISFv2! Things are going to get exciting for Lexus fans in the next 3 years!

V.

Quick Reply: LC 500 One Take video......