IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 Retro to LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 04:28 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTISF
I have some Depo's on my other car.. Decent quality for the most part.. The lenses on mine started to peal tho. after about 4 years.
I have Headlight Armor to put on them. Hopefully, that will extend the life of the lenses.
Old 02-23-17, 04:44 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I was about to pull the trigger with this ebay seller until I read Zach's thread about the problems with this ebay seller. I recently bought a pair of Depo HL's from http://www.ebay.com/usr/spoonzauto?_...p2047675.l2559. They are made in Taiwan, not China. I am working on the parts swap. Repinning looks to be a nightmare.
Repinning takes about five minutes on each side.
Old 02-23-17, 05:07 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
I agree. You have to move 5 wires total. It's not hard at all if you look at the pic of how Sewells come then it's pretty obvious what has to move where.
Old 02-23-17, 05:36 PM
Rickna
Racer

There are far fewer pins on the Depo connector than the OEM. I'm just wondering...
Old 02-23-17, 06:47 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a new set from that ebay seller a couple months ago and had no problems with them. They were in perfect condition. Hope that helps.

That said, dude sounds like a jerk. 20% restocking for something that probably hasn't shipped? C'mon.
Old 02-23-17, 11:51 PM
cha7Li3
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you brought the brand new set you might be fine, looks like alot of issues are stemming from getting a used set. I guess I was lucky with my used set. It's either that or the fact that he learned his lesson from the bad response with zmcgovern4
Old 02-24-17, 11:17 PM
FWizard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
There are far fewer pins on the Depo connector than the OEM. I'm just wondering...
Can you please let us know how the install goes for the Depo headlights? I'm wondering how the fitment is and light pattern with stock HID bulbs.
Old 02-25-17, 05:17 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

He just emailed me back and said its to late to cancel. So if I dont want them ill have to return them for a 20% fee. SO if there is a problem, no way in hell im paying that. We shall see. Hopefully nothing bad happens lol.. I need motor mounts too..
If they're brand new lights there should be no way they can have issues... so you should be fine. My thread was summarizing all of the issues i had trying to buy a used set of lights from that seller.
Old 02-26-17, 02:42 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what's the guys policy on cancels, etc before a part ships? you should be able to cancel if it hasn't shipped and have a tracking number provided.
Old 02-27-17, 04:41 AM
Rickna
Racer

Originally Posted by mahcah
Originally Posted by STLblueF
I agree. You have to move 5 wires total. It's not hard at all if you look at the pic of how Sewells come then it's pretty obvious what has to move where.
You guys are right. It's not the nightmare I was thinking. I'd like to mod this so the LED strips are on all the time. I know I can do this with a relay and some wring.

Originally Posted by FWizard
Can you please let us know how the install goes for the Depo headlights? I'm wondering how the fitment is and light pattern with stock HID bulbs.
I suppose I could do a write up when I get the time. I have many other projects going on.
Old 03-06-17, 09:06 PM
SRTISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Help... So my lights showed up and everything works except the LED strip.. From what Al is telling me, they re-pin the harness to have the LED work..
I installed the blinker relay too.
I have to figure out how to make the AFT light turn off, pull the relay out or something?

Can someone look at this and see if anything jumps out at them as being incorrect? I noticed the middle row of pins, there is no clip for it to go into on the harness side. Its a black wire so I tried grounding it manually to no avail.

Old 03-06-17, 10:30 PM
cha7Li3
Driver

Help... So my lights showed up and everything works except the LED strip.. From what Al is telling me, they re-pin the harness to have the LED work..
I have to figure out how to make the AFT light turn off, pull the relay out or something?

Can someone look at this and see if anything jumps out at them as being incorrect? I noticed the middle row of pins, there is no clip for it to go into on the harness side. Its a black wire so I tried grounding it manually to no avail.

Does the LEDs not work at all? Or does it work when you turn on your headlights?
Old 03-06-17, 10:32 PM
SRTISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does not work at all.. Nothing happens at all, which makes me thing it is not pinned correctly. i expected a flicker if I wiggled the wires or something and got nothing.
Old 03-06-17, 11:18 PM
cha7Li3
Driver

does not work at all.. Nothing happens at all, which makes me thing it is not pinned correctly. i expected a flicker if I wiggled the wires or something and got nothing.
Check out this post.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post7756020

has the picture of how it should be pnned when it came from Sewell Lexus
Old 03-07-17, 05:19 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

A couple of things going on here. First of all, the green wire does not look like it is pushed all the way in the connector. There is a clip that "clicks" when the pin seats all the way in the harness. I would pull the white protector off the front of the connector with pliers and try to get that pin set.

Second, the black wire is in the wrong spot and it looks like the red is too. From top to bottom on this pic, the bottom row should be: green/yellow, white/black, purple, green, red, [skip], white, thick orange, thick white. You can use a safety pin from the front to push out the rubber plugs for the unused spots and a small flat head screw driver to push up the plastic clips holding the pins in place then pull the wires from the back of the connector.

I moved the black wire to the middle row next to the red/yellow, but I don't think the black wire is used (that should be the 50% brightness power wire). It may be OK in other locations that are not used. You should be OK re-setting the green and red wires to the locations I noted though.. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2008 Retro to LED headlights