IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

For those of you who like to beat on the Lexus "Reliability Drum", come in here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 08:06 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
Default For those of you who like to beat on the Lexus "Reliability Drum", come in here!

If any of you have been in the Lexus dealerships since around Christmas, it's hard to miss these posters all over the dealership! I usually take the F in once every 2 weeks for a car wash and decided to take a pic this time of this post board. VERY impressive if you ask me, and very UNIMPRESSIVE for BMW. Honestly believe there's a ton of truth in this chart. Low cost of ownership is very important when buying a vehicle imo!

V.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vitveet:
jadeboy (02-01-17), jadu (02-01-17)
Old 01-31-17, 08:59 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Consumer Reports say Audi is 3rd in reliability after Toyota/Lexus and Buick. BMW is 8th (out of 28 places) Cost of ownership depends on many things. If you buy/lease a car with free maintenance and warranty, your cost of ownership is zero (aside from tires) for the 1st 4 years

Last edited by kolyan; 01-31-17 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 10:35 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Not surprising in the least bit. Considering if any of the owners at the bottom of this list do decide to keep their cars following the lease period, those are huge bills to foot. Lexus was once known solely for its luxury and many times its conservative design and outlook. Some may claim they're just not as fun to drive. With the latest offerings, it's evident that you can have your cake and eat it too. Luxury, sporty, reliable, fun....there are no more compromises with this brand. And it's peace of mind with concrete data like that.
Old 02-01-17, 06:35 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Data source: Your Mechanic??? I dont have a mechanic so these do not apply to me apparently
Old 02-01-17, 06:44 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Vitveet
If any of you have been in the Lexus dealerships since around Christmas, it's hard to miss these posters all over the dealership! I usually take the F in once every 2 weeks for a car wash and decided to take a pic this time of this post board. VERY impressive if you ask me, and very UNIMPRESSIVE for BMW. Honestly believe there's a ton of truth in this chart. Low cost of ownership is very important when buying a vehicle imo!

V.
I suspect if Lexus charged Toyota labour rates the maintenance costs would be lower still. Around here Lexus charges $120 (Cdn) for an oil change. If they were to charge say $75 you would save $1000 or more over a ten year span.

I guess that Luxury service center experience doesn't come for free..
Old 02-01-17, 07:17 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggu
Data source: Your Mechanic??? I dont have a mechanic so these do not apply to me apparently
Not literally your mechanic!

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...y-maddy-martin
Old 02-01-17, 08:27 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Where they spread the reliability record among some cars, IS250 comes out to one of the most reliable? Isn't that the least reliable Lexus with engine and transmission issues? And BMW 328i as the most unreliable? Where is the 335i, or the 7-series?

​​​​When I bought IS350 some BMW buddies wished me luck, said they had 250 AWD before and it was a nightmare... Constant carbon build up in engine, catastrofic transmission and transfer case failures, etc...
Old 02-01-17, 08:52 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Old 02-01-17, 08:53 AM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
I suspect if Lexus charged Toyota labour rates the maintenance costs would be lower still. Around here Lexus charges $120 (Cdn) for an oil change.
Out here in Vancouver, Lexus charges $215 plus tax for an oil change on the ISF. Needless to say I don't go to them for my oil changes LOL
Old 02-01-17, 08:53 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
Consumer Reports say Audi is 3rd in reliability after Toyota/Lexus and Buick. BMW is 8th (out of 28 places) Cost of ownership depends on many things. If you buy/lease a car with free maintenance and warranty, your cost of ownership is zero (aside from tires) for the 1st 4 years
This is based on 10 year ownership, not 4.
Also, the IS250 is known as "the poor man's Lexus", as is the es350. (BMW 328 and the C class Mercedes that $28k new as well as are getting that label now as well). Sometimes when people get cars they can barely afford, they skimp on regular maintenance, therefore, leading to more problems and more costly repairs in the future.
Even though we know that the IS250/ES350/328i/C300 are still a Lexus/BMW/Mercedes, they are bottom of the barrel from the brands and can't expect the same qualities as the rest of the brands cars that are 2 and 3 times the cost.
One that surprised me on that list is Mitsubishi....Everyone I've known that's had one outside of the warranty period has had nothing but major issues.

V.
Old 02-01-17, 09:59 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFMichael
Out here in Vancouver, Lexus charges $215 plus tax for an oil change on the ISF. Needless to say I don't go to them for my oil changes LOL
I was actually surprised that the local dealer charges the same for the ISF as their other models. That's a big reason I still occasionally have the dealer change the oil. It also helps to maintain a relationship with them while my car is still under warranty. Apparently you have slightly better chance of getting Lexus corporate support for non-warranty issues if there is a history of service with a Lexus dealer.
Old 02-01-17, 10:17 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Here IS350 oil changes are between $75-90 for synthetic Mobil 1(up to 6qt), BMW charges $100-115 for 6-cyl and $135 for 8-cyl (up to 8qt)

I was told Lexus rates went up recently. I remember calling about ISF spark plugs replacement few years ago, now they charge even more for IS350. (About $600 as far as I remember). BMW charges $450 for plugs on N55 engine. Toyota charged me $330 for IS350 after big discount though.

Last edited by kolyan; 02-01-17 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-01-17, 10:24 AM
Lextasy4
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Interesting charts. Working in the automotive industry I can definitely concur with some of those unusually common car issues.
Old 02-01-17, 12:09 PM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was actually surprised that the local dealer charges the same for the ISF as their other models. That's a big reason I still occasionally have the dealer change the oil. It also helps to maintain a relationship with them while my car is still under warranty. Apparently you have slightly better chance of getting Lexus corporate support for non-warranty issues if there is a history of service with a Lexus dealer.
If the dealership out this way only charged that, I would be using to them for my oil changes as well.
I totally agree with you, always good to maintain that relationship with them

Last edited by ISFMichael; 02-01-17 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 12:28 PM
av8or
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

It also helps to maintain a relationship with them while my car is still under warranty. Apparently you have slightly better chance of getting Lexus corporate support for non-warranty issues if there is a history of service with a Lexus dealer.
take heed to this everyone.. this is a true statement.. lexus corporate looks at the service records of your lexus when you file a non-warranty issue.. the more you patronize lexus service, the better bargaining chip you have.. doesn't matter if you are second or third owner, if previous owner scimps on using lexus service, you might be ****** out of luck..

Quick Reply: For those of you who like to beat on the Lexus "Reliability Drum", come in here!