IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Deciding to buy an ISF

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 07:27 PM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deciding to buy an ISF

Just curious, I currently have an 08 IS350 w/ 70k miles. Love the car, took me forever to save enough to buy it. Anyway, I have saved up another 17k and am thinking about going with a 2011 IS-F though I am finding it difficult to justify what is almost the same car for double the money, bought my 350 for 18k, average selling price for an '11 IS-F is about $36k. Looking around, I can get a 2016 Camaro SS with less than 10k for about $34k, the Camaro is quicker, newer, and more plentiful. Looking for an IS-F usually always means going out of state, which can be a little dicey.

I have never owned a GM product, never thought I would, but the thought of having something that is immediately quicker and is a coupe seems at least a little compelling. Have any of you all cross-shopped the 2 cars? Funny that I actually love the looks of the regular 350 more than the F, and I didn't find the power to be mind-blowingly better than my 350, though it did have that grunt in the mid-range that the 350 sorely lacks. The 350 is fantastic off the line, and IS really fast, but you can tell it just doesn't have the same torque passing on the highway. Trying to build a solid case for the IS-F, even though I am more than likely going to end up with one anyway
Old 01-29-17, 08:03 PM
ich1ban
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeh 2x the price is a bit much, although it's expected to pay a premium for any top of the line model.

However people still jump from 335i to M3, and in this case, their 335i was most likely faster with a tune and small/cheap mods.

Although some things just can't be replicated, and if you want the characteristics of the M/F, you have no other choice and will just end up with buyers remorse.

There are also other cars that are just more bang-for-buck like the Camaro SS, guess it really comes down to which you prefer in the end.

Just ask yourself which one you'd prefer in your short/long term ownership, and do you want to "fix what's not broken" since the Lexus is proven to you.
Old 01-29-17, 08:23 PM
Kevtron
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would honestly go with the ISF. I love mine.

Lexus will be a better built car all around compared to GM.

In my opinion, the interior of GM car's feel really cheap and crappy compared to Lexus.

Lexus/Toyota will always win when it comes to reliability.
Old 01-29-17, 08:31 PM
MicahIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought a 2011 ISF and so far really loving it. I wanted something fast, unique and fun to drive, really wanted that V8 sound and reliability was important to me. My friends said don't get an IS-F get a Corvette or a M3 but I felt like the ISF was a better choice long term and something I could drive and not worry about it breaking down on me. I also have a GM product and deeply regret it, a 2016 Chevy Colorado that is currently broken down in my driveway with enough mods my warranty is not an option. Part of me felt like I was going backwards with such an old design, and essentially what I had 11 years ago with my IS250 but I really loved that car and the quality was top notch. I had a newer IS as a loaner vehicle and while it was nice it felt a little too elongated and boat like compared to my old IS250.

I don't have a shortage of vehicles so it's not a daily driver either but besides the gas mileage i'd be fine driving it every day. Between my girlfriend and I we have 2x CT200h, a NX200t, Q5 TDI, '85 Toyota Pickup (Marty McFly recreation) and a Delorean.

Anyhow, it's all up to what you want it for, but if you really like your IS350 it might not be a bad move. I'd stay away from GM though regardless of what you decide!

Last edited by MicahIS250; 01-29-17 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 08:55 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've contemplated the same upgrade and made a thread just like you a few months back. I still haven't upgraded but I do plan on getting an ISF this year and also contemplated getting a 2016 Camaro SS as well. Especially with all the hype and praise its been getting in a ton of reviews. I even asked on a Facebook group (IS350 & ISF freaks) the same question and a lot of people felt very differently about this comparo.. In the end for me it comes down to the fact that the ISF is just a more special vehicle to own. It's a Japanese vehicle with a nice big V8. A Lexus that most people forget even existed or never heard about depending on how well they know their cars. And much more exclusive than a Camaro SS. But don't get me wrong, the Camaro is faster in pretty much every single way from speed, to handling, and even more comfortable.. It also has a lot of nice features that even the ISF doesn't get (if you get a 2SS anyway) and just a really great all around car. Hell it even does good on gas, about what you get from an IS350 on the highway from what I've seen (if you get the 8speed auto).

But one of my main gripes with the 6th gen Camaro is that a lot of people can't even tell the difference between the 5th gen (2009-2015) and the new 6th gen. On top of that, within another year you'll see them all over the place. And don't get me wrong, the car is a great looking car and I'm a fan of the design, but it just lacks that special feeling you get from a top of the line car such as the ISF or M3.

What's more is that the ISF is Lexus departure from their old image of being nothing but a boring luxury sedan marketed at old people. It was their first real shot at going against BMW and putting the world on the notice. Sure the IS300 came first, but that didn't really show that Lexus was trying. The ISF and the introduction of the "F" line showed that Lexus was no longer the same boring company it was... It's a truly special vehicle.

On top of all of that there are only approximately a little over 5000 ISFs ever made. And a lot of people will be caught off guard when they here a mean V8 roar coming from a little Lexus sedan. I personally can't wait till I have mine sitting at home. I've never felt like I need a car like this so bad lol.
Old 01-29-17, 10:39 PM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exclusivity of the IS-F is something I have always liked. The car I had before getting my IS350 was an Acura Legend 6 speed Coupe, another rare bird out of Japan. I love the idea of having something that is rare and unique, especially something Japanese made, since I have always loved Honda and Toyota products, in fact that is literally all I have ever owned. The ONLY thing that gets me is the main purpose of getting something like the IS-F is to have something of a "fun" car, something that is almost obscenely powerful that I take out maybe once or twice a week, I am wondering how much long term reliability is really going to be a concern. Of course, that is a question that only I can answer.

I suppose I am just a little bummed out that I missed what looked like a nice IS-F out of Kansas just the other day. In my quasi-active search over the last year or two, I have yet to see an IS-F in the color combo, year, mileage, and condition I have been looking for. That being said, I suppose it will really come down to availability when all the funds are secured. Having $17k saved up means getting a pretty hefty loan, which combined with my mortgage, might not really be possible. I have never done any financing on cars, my entire life I have saved up and purchased cash, which at times has been a miserable experience, I mean, sure, it's nice to own something outright from the get-go, the only problem is that almost no car can match the expectations/anticipatory excitement of someone that has been saving for 3, sometimes 4 years. Though due to the scarcity of the IS-F it seems that I may in fact have to get some sort of loan, which is always a challenge when you are looking at something in another state. I am not one of those people that can afford to hop a plane on a moments notice and head to some distant land where the possibility may be that I end up passing on the car. Hell, just to get a day off of work I have to schedule a month in advance.

Last edited by soloist3; 01-30-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-30-17, 12:49 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Those GM cars are sick performance cars for the money, but I never liked them.I test drove brand new Ford Mustang GT and it wasn't something I would drive. Lexus, BMW, and Audi were more attractive

I did read quite alot of comments from people that don't exactly like ISF looks with fake pipes and vents etc, and prefer the reqular 2IS body. So I don't know if it makes sense buying something that you don't even like.....

Something to keep in mind is that for the price of ISF you get way less miles and factory warranty from Germans, in some cases even free maintenance.
The following users liked this post:
2URGSE (01-30-17)
Old 01-30-17, 01:33 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
On top of all of that there are only approximately a little over 5000 ISFs ever made.
There was approx 5000ish sold in North America, the total production run worldwide was approx 11,500ish........still a rare bird here in the states for sure!
Old 01-30-17, 01:37 AM
kartoos100
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All very valid points in this thread. I have been longing and lusting for the ISF ever since it was announced about 10 years ago almost. I got myself a 2008 model IS 300 (yes we got them here in the 2IS body with a 3GR FE engine) brand spanking new. The ISF was not available locally till 2011 when it was all updated. I was one of the first at the dealership when it arrived and was put on sale, even got myself a test drive booked. The cost was around 84K USD full options which was way too much for me.

Fast forward to 2016 and I wanted to replace my 2IS (lack of oomph or early mid life crisis) and although i absolutely loved my car, I felt i had to fill that gap in my life with a reliable V8. spent best part of a year looking for the right ISF and got myself one just after Christmas. Hands down best decision in my life!! I only drive it once a week at best (still have the IS300 which is DD) and it brings a huge smile to my face when ever i am in it. I dont plan on tracking the car but just enjoy it. I might slowly add a few mods (bolt ons) but for now it is staying stock.

If you can afford one, go for it!!
Old 01-30-17, 03:43 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by soloist3
The exclusivity of the IS-F is something I have always liked. The car I had before getting my IS350 was an Acura Legend 6 speed Coupe, another rare bird out of Japan. I love the idea of having something that is rare and unique, especially something Japanese made, since I have always loved Honda and Toyota products, in fact that is literally I have ever owned. The ONLY thing that gets me is main purpose of getting something like the IS-F is to have something of a "fun" car, something that is almost obscenely powerful that I take out maybe once or twice a week, I am wondering how much long term reliability is really going to be a concern. Of course, that is a question that only I can answer.

I suppose I am just a little bummed out that I missed what looked like a nice IS-F out of Kansas just the other day. In my quasi-active search over the last year or two, I have yet to see an IS-F in the color combo, year, mileage, and condition I have been looking for. That being said, I suppose it will really comes down to availability when all the funds are secured. Having $17k saved up means getting a pretty hefty loan, which combined with my mortgage, might not really be possible. I have never done any financing on cars, my entire life I have saved up and purchased cash, which at times has been a miserable experience, I mean, sure, it's nice to own something outright from the get-go, the only problem is that almost no car can match the expectations/anticipatory excitement of someone that has been saving for 3, sometimes 4 years. Though due to the scarcity of the IS-F it seems that I may in fact have to get some sort of loan, which is always a challenge when you are looking at something in another state. I am not one of those people that can afford to hop a plane on a moments notice and head to some distant land where the possibility may be that I end up passing on the car. Hell, just to get a day off of work I have to schedule a month in advance.
i hear you about buyers remorse, especially paying cash, but two points: 1) in the last decade plus, financing has been so cheap that there are a lot better things you can do with all that cash then save 2-3% finance rates, and 2) BAR NONE, every time I get in my F and think for a moment about how much car I got for how much money (used), quite frankly it still shocks me and completely eliminates buyers remorse. I mean really, when you can pay what a Honda Accord costs and get a race bred car, it's a no brainer. That and the fact that the F is holding its value nicely means that I've never had a second of buyers remorse with the F--not a second!
Old 01-30-17, 05:37 AM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
i hear you about buyers remorse, especially paying cash, but two points: 1) in the last decade plus, financing has been so cheap that there are a lot better things you can do with all that cash then save 2-3% finance rates, and 2) BAR NONE, every time I get in my F and think for a moment about how much car I got for how much money (used), quite frankly it still shocks me and completely eliminates buyers remorse. I mean really, when you can pay what a Honda Accord costs and get a race bred car, it's a no brainer. That and the fact that the F is holding its value nicely means that I've never had a second of buyers remorse with the F--not a second!
F is holding its value if you buy it for a good price. You will loose alot if you pay retail or close to it. If you visit for sale forum, people can't sell their Fs for 6-12 month (same with local dealers here)
Old 01-30-17, 06:05 AM
Scott610
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default This is my 2nd isf would do it again but differently

Some of you know this is my secound isf . First one was totaled by my brother and I decided to get another one . I also bought a 2011 and came from a 2008 . Now I wish I bought a 2010 little high mileage and slap that rr racing supercharger on there but this all happen before it came out . Good thing is that I had my 2011 isf for 11 months now and it is a blessing that it's paid off . What I suggest if you have more then one car is to get a cheap isf and slap that supercharger on it lol 😜 And that's how I wish I would've done it
Old 01-30-17, 06:26 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

If I were in your shoes and had to choose between an IS-F or the 6th Gen Camaro SS with 1LE package, I'd go with the Lexus IS-F hands down (even if I've been with the 2IS platform for over a decade).

As others have stated, the Camaro SS is a fantastic bang-for-your-buck performance car but it lacks the rarity and potential resale value that the more exclusive IS-F carries. We're also seeing a new twilight of potential with this platform now that the ECU is finally tunable and vendors are providing amazing upgrades like forced induction. Combine that with Toyota/Lexus durability and you have a car worth owning for the long run (which probably can't be said about the 6th gen Camaro SS).
Old 01-30-17, 11:44 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
Something to keep in mind is that for the price of ISF you get way less miles and factory warranty from Germans, in some cases even free maintenance.
You do realize the maintenance offered on the German cars isn't "FREE", you're paying for it, it's in the final price.

Nothing is free.
Old 01-30-17, 11:48 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
F is holding its value if you buy it for a good price. You will loose alot if you pay retail or close to it. If you visit for sale forum, people can't sell their Fs for 6-12 month (same with local dealers here)
Highly disagree. It's a tight niche market and these cars may or may not sit. Really depends on who is stopping by to look at them.

I don't see how he can lose a boat load of money on a car, besides most people who buy these cars keep them for a while. This is not an M3. LMAO.

Quick Reply: Deciding to buy an ISF