IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Replacing front map lights and license plate lights -any ISF specific how to videos

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-17, 01:19 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Replacing front map lights and license plate lights -any ISF specific how to videos

Started an LED conversion process today, Rear dome lights were easy. Front door lights were a bit interesting--the bulbs were very finicky and I couldn't put the plastic backing on without the lights either dimming or shutting off. Weird.

I got to the front map lights, removed the two screws from the sunglasses holder and was able to pull the back end of the entire unit down. But, the front wasn't coming off and I wasn't about to put more effort into it, as I can imagine that's an expensive piece if I break it.

I saw the ISX50 videos on you tube, but can't find anything for the F. Anyone have a link or advice on this process?

i was also too much of a wuss to tackle the license plate lights--pulled the trunk liner fasteners off and got to the point where the trunk release pull was blocking me from pulling it down further to access the license plates lights. And with my 5 year old begging me to play football, I gave up since I didn't want to be hasty. Never a free second to get anything done...

Appreciate any help that you can provide for either the map lights or the license plate lights.
Old 01-29-17, 02:13 PM
KSLAM
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I plan on getting a set for my F and making a video for my channel soon.
The following users liked this post:
Toothy (01-29-17)
Old 01-29-17, 02:23 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Sweet. I ordered mine through precision led, 8000k FYI.
Old 01-29-17, 06:16 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

I was under the impression that all of the Fs came LEDs in the license plate and map lights?! Maybe it was just the later years...
But also if I'm not mistaken, the isx50 have the same lights (same installation instructions) as the Fs. May want to watch that video and see if it helps you.

V.
Old 01-29-17, 07:40 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Started an LED conversion process today, Rear dome lights were easy. Front door lights were a bit interesting--the bulbs were very finicky and I couldn't put the plastic backing on without the lights either dimming or shutting off. Weird.

I got to the front map lights, removed the two screws from the sunglasses holder and was able to pull the back end of the entire unit down. But, the front wasn't coming off and I wasn't about to put more effort into it, as I can imagine that's an expensive piece if I break it.

I saw the ISX50 videos on you tube, but can't find anything for the F. Anyone have a link or advice on this process?

i was also too much of a wuss to tackle the license plate lights--pulled the trunk liner fasteners off and got to the point where the trunk release pull was blocking me from pulling it down further to access the license plates lights. And with my 5 year old begging me to play football, I gave up since I didn't want to be hasty. Never a free second to get anything done...

Appreciate any help that you can provide for either the map lights or the license plate lights.
The front map lights I believe are already led. If you're talking about the courtesy lights that turn on when you open the door, or unlock the door with the remote those are halogen and can be removed after popping the cover off. These were a bit stubborn to get out but eventually popped out.

Can't help on the license plate bulbs are I didn't do those.
Old 01-29-17, 10:57 PM
kartoos100
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just attempted the LED interior light conversion over the weekend. I am yet to do the mirror puddle lights as I need more than 15 mins to do them properly.

I didnt take any pics so i will explain the best i can.

The trunk light bulb was replaced first. it is a festoon and i pull down the assembly, took the back cover off. use a small flat head screw driver.

The rear dome lights were easy as. flat head screwdriver with some tape at the ends to prevent scratches and pull the light cover off. Two festoons to be replaced. I noticed that only one of them come on when you get near the car and both come on when you open the door.

The vanity bulbs were next, pull down on the light assembly from the side closest to the door. They come down easy and it is easy to change the bulbs this way. they are T10 wedges. Make sure they are right polarity before jamming them in. proceed to the other side. Again pull down from the side closest to the door.

The front dome was tricky because it was difficult to get the screw head it between the light cover. be careful, you may even use a credit card to avoid scratches. There are 3 wedge bulbs in there.

a piece of advise. get in the car close the doors and wait for the friggin bulbs to cool down. i didnt, used some paper towels and they slipped and got a nasty burn . best to use some gloves for grip. also have small hands.

I have a 2011 ISF BTW. I bought the LEDS from TRS. They are morimoto branded.

hope it helps. This was my second time around as i had changed the lights on my 2IS a few years earlier.
Old 01-29-17, 11:01 PM
kartoos100
Driver

Originally Posted by ultimase
The front map lights I believe are already led. If you're talking about the courtesy lights that turn on when you open the door, or unlock the door with the remote those are halogen and can be removed after popping the cover off. These were a bit stubborn to get out but eventually popped out.

Can't help on the license plate bulbs are I didn't do those.
As far as I am aware, the front map lights and the license plates are already LED on the Lexus 2IS.
Old 01-30-17, 03:55 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Yes, sorry, I think I used the wrong terminology--it's the lights next to the LED map lights that come on when the door opens that I was talking about.

Kartoos--were you able to get at the front dome lights without taking off the entire sunglass holder assembly? Did you just pull off the two plastic covers and replace the bulbs? It seems like there is not space to stick something in and remove the plastic covers to get at the bulbs. The ISX50 videos I saw showed to take off the entire sunglasses holder unti to get at the bulbs.

I dont know know why my door lights were such a problem. They seemed to be really finicky with their fitment. Sometimes I would get the bulbs in, put the back cover of the light fixture assembly on and something would cause them to dim or even go out??? I ended up leaving them in without the back cover of the light assembly on them--doesn't seeem like this would be an issue, but, I'm not sure how they will behave with repeated shocks from closing the doors.
Old 01-30-17, 06:04 AM
Vitveet
Racer

You do NOT have to take the entire light assembly down to change those lights, just each cover. Just carefully pry from the outside side of each cover any it'll come off.

V.
Old 01-30-17, 06:07 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Out of pure curiosity, what did you use to pry them off? Seems like a very tight fit.
Old 01-30-17, 06:27 AM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Out of pure curiosity, what did you use to pry them off? Seems like a very tight fit.
I had a small plastic tool to help pry the covers off. An old credit card would work too. A small screw driver might work as well, but just be careful as it'll be much easier to break something with the added leverage.
Old 01-30-17, 07:39 PM
kartoos100
Driver

Yes, sorry, I think I used the wrong terminology--it's the lights next to the LED map lights that come on when the door opens that I was talking about.

Kartoos--were you able to get at the front dome lights without taking off the entire sunglass holder assembly? Did you just pull off the two plastic covers and replace the bulbs? It seems like there is not space to stick something in and remove the plastic covers to get at the bulbs. The ISX50 videos I saw showed to take off the entire sunglasses holder unti to get at the bulbs.
yes. I only took the Plastic covers off. It is a tight fit. A credit card maybe better suited to avoid scratches.
Old 01-30-17, 09:02 PM
Vitveet
Racer

I used a small right angle pick. Can use a small screw driver or a small straight pick as well. Just take your time, very easy.

V.
Old 01-31-17, 11:10 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to thread-jack.. Anyone have recommendations on back-up light. I tried swapping them with 'high-end' bulbs, but the OEMs had better output. I want brightest at 4300K
Old 02-04-17, 03:16 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Yep, I stuck the blade of a razor knife in the gap between the lense and the map light console nearest the center of the car (i.e. If you are doing the drivers side map light, it would be on the right side of the lens) and it popped right out.

Now, for the trunk and the puddle lights.

Quick Reply: Replacing front map lights and license plate lights -any ISF specific how to videos