IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help me solve an odd braking problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 06:03 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me solve an odd braking problem...

Hey guys - I have a 2010 ISF that has an odd brake noise. When the car is making very slow tight turns (I notice it most on left hand turns), the car almost stutters the rear driver side brake. I took it into the dealer to have them check it out, I suspected its something with the ABS as it almost sounds like an abs pulse (although i dont get a light on the dash, nor do i see the VCS/TRC light). They said its from the tires... i recently had new tires put on it (the problem existed prior to putting on the new tires. This evening i had my wife drive the car to reproduce the issue and the driver rear wheel is litterally pulsing when making the tight left hand turn. I took a video of the issue, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a Techstream cable/software and it looks like the ABS system doesn't have an code present, and the sensors are all reading for the ABS sensors (i see data for all 4 wheels). The car runs very strong, no other issues at all. Service is all current, recently had the rear diff oil replaced (the issue persisted before and after). Any ideas?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 01-27-17, 09:51 PM
cameljock
Driver School Candidate

I think it's a design flaw in the body and the amount they allow the steering wheels to turn. Mine does this too. Remember that they took an IS chassis and tried to cram a V8 in it! They had to make the front wider which made for some wheelbase steering issues. Just don't turn your wheel all the way.

Edit

OK just watched the video and is not supposed to do that. I don't know.
Old 01-27-17, 10:17 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Have you tried with the E brake on and off, and light pressure on the main brake, it sounds very tinny its not exhaust ??
Old 01-27-17, 10:23 PM
Bavarian
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm?

could it be the wheel bearing?

Did you already lift up the wheel with a jack and turned it by hand?

best from bavaria
​​​​​​​
Old 01-28-17, 07:57 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Does the noise keep getting louder as you drive or is it only when you make a slow left turn? It kind of sounds like it's rubbing on the dust shield....
Old 01-28-17, 11:31 AM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same noise. It drove me nuts. Ended up being a small pebble that got lodged in my caliper and was rubbing the rotor. I thought it was my wheel bearing as well but was able to pinpoint the location of the noise by putting my car up on jack stands and turning the wheel.
Old 01-28-17, 11:32 AM
silverlexg
Driver

The noise does not persist when driving straight, or if speed is increased. I don't get any noise when driving at speed (anything above slow turns), just when slow speed turns. I'll look at the dust shield, I felt the wheel/rim when I took the video and the rim is stuttering like something is grabbing it, either brake / hitting something or I also suspect a wheel bearing.. or perhaps something in the halfshafts/lsd.

I haven't had it up myself to check brakes or see if it has any play in the bearing but I figured either of those issues would probably result in louder noises as speed increased. I'm a bit irritated the dealer said 'it's your tires' when it's clearly a metal on metal noise. Frustrating I have to do their job troubleshooting, especially when it's under warranty.
Old 01-28-17, 11:34 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by cameljock
I think it's a design flaw in the body and the amount they allow the steering wheels to turn. Mine does this too. Remember that they took an IS chassis and tried to cram a V8 in it! They had to make the front wider which made for some wheelbase steering issues. Just don't turn your wheel all the way.

Edit

OK just watched the video and is not supposed to do that. I don't know.
LMAO, a design flaw in the body? Seriously.....that was pretty funny.

Last edited by 2URGSE; 01-28-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-28-17, 11:37 AM
wmjeffreyw
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The grabbing you feel makes it sound more like a wheel bearing/half shaft issue. Don't think it is a rear carrier issue the noise is too localized.
Old 01-28-17, 11:37 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Jack up the car, take the wheel off. Check the brake dust shield to make sure they didn't dent it, check for any foreign bodies in the calipers (tree branch or something else).

2. Check the CV joints for any tears.

Put the wheel back on, roll it with your hand, see if you can reproduce the noise again.

Check the torque on the lug-nuts, should be 67 ft-lbs.
Old 01-28-17, 02:49 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE

Check the torque on the lug-nuts, should be 67 ft-lbs.
I'm sure it's a typo but I think you meant 76 ft-lbs.
Old 01-28-17, 04:56 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like the dust brake shield. something may be lodged behind there?
Old 01-30-17, 02:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Look for the obvious first - as already stated. If it isn't the obvious, (dust shield, wheel bearing, parking brake), it might also be the Torsen spool having issues.
Old 02-04-17, 01:09 PM
silverlexg
Driver

I wanted to follow up - so i pulled both wheels off and rotors, no rocks or debris that i could see causing the issue, no obvious grinding marks, half shafts boots were good. I did notice that the rotors were very worn (original to the car @ 90k miles). I ordered and replaced them today and that seems to have solved the issue

I'd have figured the dealer would have been more than happy to sell me new rotors... i'm guessing they never even took the wheels off. Anyways - glad its fixed and i appreciate all the suggestions.
I purchased an installed original brake rotors (Part Number 424310W030) in case anyone is curious They are a steal at $105 on amazon
Old 02-04-17, 02:46 PM
knshro13
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Your rotors were original to the car with 90k miles?!?! Thats hard to believe when my rotors don't even last 30k...

Quick Reply: Help me solve an odd braking problem...