IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Clunk sound from front passenger area

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-17, 06:35 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Clunk sound from front passenger area

Hey guys, I'm noticing lately with cold weather that driving over uneven pavement I am hearing a clunking sound coming from the front right wheel area. Does not seem to occur when it is warmer out, just when it's below 40 degrees F (or I'm not noticing it as much). Also, this is really only occurring at lower speeds when coasting, and does not happen when driving over speed bumps.

Anyone experience anything similar and what was the remedy?

I've jacked up the front end and shook down the wheel and sway bar, so I don't think it's an end link or a ball joint. I inspected the subframe bolts and all are accounted for and tight. Could my swift springs be causing this noise or a blown shock?

Doesn't seem to affect steering feel or driving in any way, just sounds like something is loose and it's kind of annoying. Thanks
Old 01-09-17, 07:09 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Certain its not interior noise? Mine does this once in a while as well, mostly when its cold out. I narrowed it down to where the vent and dash meet on the passenger side, it makes a loud clunking noise.
The following users liked this post:
STLblueF (01-09-17)
Old 01-09-17, 07:10 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine does this and I believe it is a blown shock per what the dealer says.
Old 01-09-17, 07:12 AM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nks979
Certain its not interior noise? Mine does this once in a while as well, mostly when its cold out. I narrowed it down to where the vent and dash meet on the passenger side, it makes a loud clunking noise.
Could be. That would explain why it doesn't happen in warmer weather too I guess. If something on the suspension was truly loose you would think it would make noise all the time.
Old 01-09-17, 08:08 AM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by STLblueF
Could be. That would explain why it doesn't happen in warmer weather too I guess. If something on the suspension was truly loose you would think it would make noise all the time.
My strut did the same thing last year. Slow leak and more sound in the cold weather.
Old 01-09-17, 08:16 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We had the same sound from rear driver side, was a leaking/blown strut. Replaced and now all good no matter if warm or cold.
Old 01-09-17, 09:39 AM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Are you lowered at all? I noticed that when its cold out it seems like the fender liners are more rigid and stuff and I seem to rub more in cold temps. Never had this issue til recently where I went to a cold morning Cars and Coffee. Later in the afternoon and when the car warmed up I didn't hear the noise again.
Old 01-09-17, 01:44 PM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i have the same sound coming from the rear of my car. I'm by no means overweight (170lbs), but i notice when i get out of my car i hear a clunk. Guessing it is something in the suspension, just not sure what.
Old 01-09-17, 02:10 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Originally Posted by topguy573
i have the same sound coming from the rear of my car. I'm by no means overweight (170lbs), but i notice when i get out of my car i hear a clunk. Guessing it is something in the suspension, just not sure what.
Does it only happen when you close the door? if so, then its the air vent in the trunk. Could be the rear brake also.
Old 01-09-17, 03:23 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check your sway bar end links. i just installed KW's and hear a clunk from passenger rear. going to have it checked it where i got KW's installed.
Old 01-09-17, 03:41 PM
topguy573
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Does it only happen when you close the door? if so, then its the air vent in the trunk. Could be the rear brake also.

it does happen when i close the door, but also happens when i get out of the car.
Old 01-09-17, 03:42 PM
PiusGS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you change your exhaust? When i had my joe z put on the installer didnt check for wiggle room and it was causing a clunking sound when i went over a bump.
Old 01-09-17, 04:35 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look into 2011 shocks/springs and bump stops if your shocks are shot and you're not interested in aftermarket. Did mine and it's much better than before when it was new.

Old 01-09-17, 04:37 PM
STLblueF
Pole Position

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Look into 2011 shocks/springs and bump stops if your shocks are shot and you're not interested in aftermarket. Did mine and it's much better than before when it was new.
Im actually already on 2011 shocks but they came with swift springs. The roads I drive every day are absolutely terrible so it's not a surprise if one of them is blown. I ordered a replacement shock today, we'll see if that takes care of it.
Old 01-09-17, 04:58 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Im actually already on 2011 shocks but they came with swift springs. The roads I drive every day are absolutely terrible so it's not a surprise if one of them is blown. I ordered a replacement shock today, we'll see if that takes care of it.
Same with the roads that I frequent. I bought some BC racing coils with swift springs that I'll be putting on in the near future.

Quick Reply: Clunk sound from front passenger area