IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Need exhaust shop/welder recommendation - Phoenix area

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 08:12 AM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need exhaust shop/welder recommendation - Phoenix area

Has anyone used a good exhaust shop in the Phoenix area (preferably east valley) that they could recommend? I'd like to have quarter wave resonators (aka side branch resonators) added to my ISF exhaust system. I've had Redline Performance Manufacturing in Mesa do great work for me in the past, but they are so busy they are not even taking appointments right now. Any suggestions?
Old 12-19-16, 09:12 AM
davecape2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats funny I am also looking for an exhaust shop to weld my borla exhaust system and get rid of the clamps. I just booked an appt on wednesday to get it welded. But I don't really know there level of expertise there. My biggest thing was to get the joints welded with stainless wire with the mig or tig welded with stainless filler. Don't want a standard copper wire on stainless tubing. That will just rust. Anyways they are planning to do it with stainless wire with mig. But I'm going to perfomance muffler in peoria.
Old 12-19-16, 09:30 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

OP, which exhaust do you have? I have a Borla and would like to do the same thing.. I'll be very interested in your results.

-Mike
Old 12-19-16, 03:51 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Dave, let us know what you think of Performance muffler's work. I'm hoping to find a shop on the East side, but would go to Peoria if necessary.

Mike, I have an ISS Forged DES exhaust system on my car (ISS uses Magnaflows). I just installed PPE headers last month - that was 2 full days of fun on my back in the garage - not a job I ever want to do again. I love the way the exhaust sounds when I get on it, but I really want to kill the 1,700 - 2,200 rpm drone. I occasionally have to put clients in the F and the drone is just too much for that with this exhaust. I had a quarter wave resonator installed on a supercharged V6 Tacoma and the results were amazing - the drone was 100% gone and the overall volume was a bit reduced, but you still get a great growl at WOT. There was a lot more room under the Tacoma than the F. Packaging in the F may be a challenge, but I've got a few ideas. Have you calculated a length for a QW resonator on our car yet? I just did a quick calc, and need to double-check everything, but I'm thinking about +/- 31" would about do it.

I just called PPE and am waiting for a callback to set a time to have them get it on their lift and see what they think about packaging - and to give me a quote.
Old 12-20-16, 05:10 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tom2769
Mike, I have an ISS Forged DES exhaust system on my car (ISS uses Magnaflows). I just installed PPE headers last month - that was 2 full days of fun on my back in the garage - not a job I ever want to do again. I love the way the exhaust sounds when I get on it, but I really want to kill the 1,700 - 2,200 rpm drone. I occasionally have to put clients in the F and the drone is just too much for that with this exhaust. I had a quarter wave resonator installed on a supercharged V6 Tacoma and the results were amazing - the drone was 100% gone and the overall volume was a bit reduced, but you still get a great growl at WOT. There was a lot more room under the Tacoma than the F. Packaging in the F may be a challenge, but I've got a few ideas. Have you calculated a length for a QW resonator on our car yet? I just did a quick calc, and need to double-check everything, but I'm thinking about +/- 31" would about do it.
I have not looked into any calculations yet, and math is definitely not my strong suit.. However, RR Racing has hired a fabricator and he mentioned that we might be able to do some road testing with various sizes to determine the optimal set-up to kill the 1,700 - 2,200 rpm drone. I hope to take him up on that offer after I get headers w/high-flow cats installed.

-Mike
Old 12-20-16, 02:11 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I have not looked into any calculations yet, and math is definitely not my strong suit.. However, RR Racing has hired a fabricator and he mentioned that we might be able to do some road testing with various sizes to determine the optimal set-up to kill the 1,700 - 2,200 rpm drone. I hope to take him up on that offer after I get headers w/high-flow cats installed.

-Mike
Interesting. If this comes to fruition, please share the results. After further refining my calcs for a quarter wave tube (revising resonator air temps assumptions), I think a QW resonator of about 26-27" would about do it as well. I'd love to see what RR finds...
Old 12-20-16, 07:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft

-Mike
The way to realy lessen the drone is to use PPE EL headers rather than UL headers. Expensive, I know, but it works.

Lou
Old 12-21-16, 05:08 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flowrider
The way to realy lessen the drone is to use PPE EL headers rather than UL headers. Expensive, I know, but it works.

Lou
I hear ya... I've thought about going that route, but I'm hesitant due to the additional $1K in cost. Though, custom fabrication isn't cheap either & I'm sure it could easily cost hundreds in labor to figure out the optimal set-up with custom resonators. I sure wish you weren't so far away.. I'd like to ride in an IS-F with the EL headers.

-Mike
Old 12-21-16, 01:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I used a shop in peoria to weld the flanges on my Joe Z . They were great but I can't find the name or number . Plus Peoria is 50 miles from you probably. I'll pm you if I find the name
Old 12-21-16, 03:59 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I used a shop in peoria to weld the flanges on my Joe Z . They were great but I can't find the name or number . Plus Peoria is 50 miles from you probably. I'll pm you if I find the name
Thanks Tammer. I have an appointment for this Friday at PPE in Tempe for them to discuss adding quarter wave resonators and give me a quote. If this is something I go through with, I start a new thread to share the results.
Old 12-21-16, 05:25 PM
davecape2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I actually went to a fabricator that was able to tig weld the borla exhaust and get rid of the clamps for me. He did a nice job with it. Although its more of an offroad shop it sounds like he will tackle just about anything. I was honestly a little worried about bringing it there. Its a hole in the wall place but again he did a nice job on it. Its Gordon's cross eyed fabrication. There in phoenix.
Old 12-21-16, 07:02 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

If they were able to find the proper diameter and length helmholtz chamber that would do the community a HUGE service. Might as well fab em and sell em at that point. Would require welding in but that's no big deal.

I understand EL headers change the tone which changes the resonance and thus reduces drone but many people here fell in love with the car due to that mean characteristic growl of a 5.0 I don't want to give that up and pay more for it either.
Old 12-22-16, 12:10 PM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I have used this guy twice and have been satisfied both times http://www.catsonlyaz.com/ in East Mesa just off main st near the 202.

This is a hole in the wall type place but the owner ( I forget his name) is a car guy and likes working on mods and does so at a reasonable price. I had him perform the Gundo Hack on my 911 exhaust, I removed the mufflers and brought them in and he only charged me $40.
Old 12-22-16, 05:21 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Dave and BL, thanks for the info on other shops. I may check them out for some additional exhaust work I need to have done on my Tacoma.

I stopped by PPE in Tempe today and talked to Paul, I've got an appointment for Jan 26 to have them put quarter wave resonators on the F. PPE will not be the economy choice, for sure, but I have zero doubts of the quality of their work.
Old 12-22-16, 06:04 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Are they basing the dimensions off your calculations or they doing the math themselves. You can increase diameter to shorten length no? It's a matter of volume?

Quick Reply: Need exhaust shop/welder recommendation - Phoenix area