IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone put Stock mufflers on a Borla system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 06:23 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone put Stock mufflers on a Borla system?

Just wondering if anyone has tried putting the stock mufflers on to a Borla cat-back system?
May be best of both, keep the gains, ditch the drone...?
Old 12-19-16, 06:31 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I think someone here had the stocks welded on to an after market catback a couple years back. I'd have to try to search for it.
Old 12-19-16, 06:38 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Not Borla but here yea go.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-mufflers.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/618225-my-new-rear-section-exhaust.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/602047-this-is-how-i-got-rid-of-the-drone-on-my-joe-z-exhuast.html

Last edited by Diesel350; 12-19-16 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 08:18 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Was thinking of doing the same thing to my Borla with PPE headers setup (= too loud/drone). I bought 2 additional resonators off of Amazon and when I got to the muffler shop there wasn't anywhere to fit them in the back, and we looked for about 25 min trying to find a spot to weld them on and no dice

So my next option is to weld on the stock mufflers to the Borla????? I can't imagine losing that much power just with the stock mufflers considering the whole system is open all the way back to that point?
Old 12-19-16, 09:38 AM
mahcah
Racer

Before and after dynos please

Provided that you do it.
Old 12-19-16, 01:34 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Was thinking of doing the same thing to my Borla with PPE headers setup (= too loud/drone). I bought 2 additional resonators off of Amazon and when I got to the muffler shop there wasn't anywhere to fit them in the back, and we looked for about 25 min trying to find a spot to weld them on and no dice

So my next option is to weld on the stock mufflers to the Borla????? I can't imagine losing that much power just with the stock mufflers considering the whole system is open all the way back to that point?
It does create a bottleneck though. You will have increased pressure pushing at the mufflers. How much is a good question.
Old 12-19-16, 01:41 PM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
It does create a bottleneck though. You will have increased pressure pushing at the mufflers. How much is a good question.
But unless we're running boost, don't we need some back pressure anyways? Lol
Old 12-19-16, 01:46 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Since the Borla gets rid of the 2nd cats, and that crushed Y splitter piece, I would assume the Borla pipes with stock mufflers would still keep some of the gains. But it's speculation at this point.
anyone know the size of the pipes right before the mufflers on the stock system?
Would be nice if I could just measure and cut the stock mufflers off the stock system, and install them on the 2.5" Borla pipes at the clamps after the rear axle
Old 12-19-16, 01:49 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by DjMarkOne
But unless we're running boost, don't we need some back pressure anyways? Lol
It's there.
Old 12-19-16, 02:49 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
Would be nice if I could just measure and cut the stock mufflers off the stock system, and install them on the 2.5" Borla pipes at the clamps after the rear axle
More or less what I was thinking of ^^^^....... only mine would literally be cut off enough to just have room to weld to the Borla piping to keep the 2.5" diameter and flow characteristics of the Borla just with the stock mufflers.

Because the stock mufflers are well designed as Lou's pic showed when they cut his open, the characteristic that I'm going for is the destructive interference that it would provide to cancel out the drone of the straight through design of the Borla mufflers.

I'm still debating whether to do this or not
Old 12-19-16, 02:51 PM
mahcah
Racer

More or less what I was thinking of ^^^^....... only mine would literally be cut off enough to just have room to weld to the Borla piping to keep the 2.5" diameter and flow characteristics of the Borla just with the stock mufflers.

Because the stock mufflers are well designed as Lou's pic showed when they cut his open, the characteristic that I'm going for is the destructive interference that it would provide to cancel out the drone of the straight through design of the Borla mufflers.

Dew it dew it dew it
Old 12-19-16, 03:59 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

if the stock pipe size is like 2-1/4" then if a guy was to get the right size adaptor and clamps, this could be done with no Welding required, making it completely reversible with no mods to the Borla components.
...Just need to know stock pipe size right at the mufflers...
Old 12-19-16, 04:00 PM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

If you don't mind losing some of the overall volume of the exhaust along with losing the drone, quarter wave resonators (aka side branch resonators) will kill the drone and will add zero restriction to the exhaust. I did this with my Tacoma and it worked beautifully.

A bit of reading on the subject (Google will give you a whole lot more):

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...tely-gone.html

I'm looking into this option for my F currently:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...enix-area.html
Old 12-19-16, 04:44 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BLKLBL
if the stock pipe size is like 2-1/4" then if a guy was to get the right size adaptor and clamps, this could be done with no Welding required, making it completely reversible with no mods to the Borla components.
...Just need to know stock pipe size right at the mufflers...
That would be nice as well to not have any mods to the Borla and just have a slip fit version of the stock mufflers to attach to the Borla system so you can swap back when needed or if you wanted to sell the exhaust........ Let us know if you go this route

Originally Posted by Tom2769
If you don't mind losing some of the overall volume of the exhaust along with losing the drone, quarter wave resonators (aka side branch resonators) will kill the drone and will add zero restriction to the exhaust. I did this with my Tacoma and it worked beautifully.

A bit of reading on the subject (Google will give you a whole lot more):

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...tely-gone.html

I'm looking into this option for my F currently:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...enix-area.html
I have thought about this route as well with a J pipe (basically a Helmholtz chamber). Are you looking to do this soon to your F?? If so let me know which J pipe/side branch resonator you use!!

I'll do some research as well and see what I find
Old 12-19-16, 05:06 PM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

That would be nice as well to not have any mods to the Borla and just have a slip fit version of the stock mufflers to attach to the Borla system so you can swap back when needed or if you wanted to sell the exhaust........ Let us know if you go this route
i had orderd some 2" exhaust silencers to put in the lower outlets of the Borla system to try out... But that order apparently got lost somewhere between Hong Kong and Canada, so after 8 weeks of waiting for parts that never came; I'm back to the drawing board...
​​​​​​​so I may try this

Quick Reply: Anyone put Stock mufflers on a Borla system?