IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

got smoked by a 340i, heat soak detune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 04:44 AM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy got smoked by a 340i, heat soak detune?

Yesterday afternoon i was cruising our coastal road when at a traffic light a see a black 3 series with square angel eyes, i was not sure which model it was at that point. When light got green i step on it and he changed lanes, i was in front til 2nd then he passed me really fast. i followed him but he continued to open the gap. He had the opportunity to repeat it two more times, same results, the last one we were in open road and even on 4th gear he was always pulling away.

The car was a 340i that comes with 326Hp, which is under-rated by BMW, so lets say it have maybe 20more HPs...around 350, thats far away from 416, i should had probrems at all with that car, so my conclusion is that heat soak is affecting me because of the hot weather in Panama, yesterday it was 92degrees and 90%+ humidity. Im pretty good with feeling how the car is performing and i had always felt that the car after 10 minutes of hard accelerations feels detuned.... i guess it retards the ignition timing because of the heat soak. During the mornings when the car is not that hot, its definitely another car.

i had have the car just for 3 month its a 2010 USB that i bought from someone that only used on weekends so it only have 8,000 miles, but after yesterday incident, i want to pinpoint the problem and see if i can tune the car properly. So tonight when i come back from work il will connect the techstream tool to look if there is any new code, i did it when got the car and it was clean.

Next im considering changing spark plugs, even it only have 8,000 miles, but it have more than 5 years. What do you think of one step colder spark plugs? i suppose these might help me with the hot weather.

Feedback?

p.s. im full stock for now...... ah.... i almost forgot to mention, the car is only giving me around 11.4 MPGs, so it might be running rich on fuel too, heat soak detune?
Old 12-19-16, 04:52 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

are you aware that youre in the IS F section right? Coz no way in hell a 3 series or 335, even the 335is will smoke the IS F, unless its heavy modded..... IS F 416 HP V8...boom..
Old 12-19-16, 05:05 AM
PTYIS2
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07is
are you aware that youre in the IS F section right? Coz no way in hell a 3 series or 335, even the 335is will smoke the IS F, unless its heavy modded..... IS F 416 HP V8...boom..

Yes, i just updated my signature, i own a 350 and recently bought an ISF....... i was driving the ISF, and yes it might be that the 340 had some mods or maybe it was an Mperformance version that comes with 355hp supposedly...... or the heat soak its really hurting my F or else........
Old 12-19-16, 05:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

There's always somebody faster whether their car is modded or better driving or whatever.
The following users liked this post:
Kojak77 (12-22-16)
Old 12-19-16, 05:49 AM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat is going to hurt the turbo bimmer more than the F. If he spanked you by that much he was either tuned or you bought a 350 with ISF badges.
Old 12-19-16, 06:04 AM
rmillsISF
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Berger Tune puts that thing around 375-380HP and 380Tq. That's 60HP to the wheels more. He'd be pretty even at that point unless you have mods to yours.
Old 12-19-16, 06:25 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It's really not that unbelievable...
Old 12-19-16, 06:30 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PTYIS2
Yes, i just updated my signature, i own a 350 and recently bought an ISF....... i was driving the ISF, and yes it might be that the 340 had some mods or maybe it was an Mperformance version that comes with 355hp supposedly...... or the heat soak its really hurting my F or else........
you can't determine the performance of your car, based on a car you raced with no idea of that cars mods. Johnny tran could have had 10 g's under the hood of that car.

1)check your KCLV value. either with ebay software and the cable, or you can take it to the dealer and pay them an hour labour.
or
2) get it on a Dyno to compare numbers to other ISF's
3) take it to a drag strip to compare numbers ISF's. you can run the corrections for altitude, pressure, and weather, and that will allow you to compare to all other ISF's
Old 12-19-16, 06:33 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by PTYIS2
i almost forgot to mention, the car is only giving me around 11.4 MPGs, so it might be running rich on fuel too, heat soak detune?
Something is up - the BMW should not have walked on you that easily and unless you are driving at WOT alot, your MPG should not be at 11.

I would start with the simple things. Resetting your ECU, confirming that the air filter box is sealed all the way around and there are no blockages/obstructions.
Old 12-19-16, 08:19 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 44 Posts

The 335/435/340/440 can also be configured with the M Performance Power Kit (MPPK) right from the factory or aftermarket through the dealer.

My 435i convertible has it and adds another 35HP to around 355HP.

No way to tell if the car has it or not from outer appearance unless they installed the sticker on the door rocker panel.

It is definitely a nice upgrade. I really enjoy the added power and more throaty exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails got smoked by a 340i, heat soak detune?-s-l1000.jpg  

Last edited by chuckNX; 12-19-16 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 08:24 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I don't understand why all the surprise at the 340i. Edmunds was able to get 4.4 and 12.7 out of the 340xi. That is very much ISF competitor worthy and that is stock. It is also faster than Motor Trend/CD best times of 5 flat and 13 quarter, but those were the rwd versions. Add a simple tune or catback/downpipes and you can gain more than ISF's gain with same mods. 335 with bolt on and tune was always much quicker than E92 m3.
https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series...ce-tested.html

Same thing goes for the Red Sport Q50. It's "400 HP" but it constantly dynos at 385whp and is awd.

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 12-19-16 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-19-16, 08:48 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I've run back to back to back to back (you get the point!) 1/4 mile runs and actually my times got better each run. Never any suggestion of heat soak.
Old 12-19-16, 08:50 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Something is very wrong! Everyone seems to be missing the point of the OP getting 11.4 MPG. Seriously Most of us average 20MPG or higher.

Lou
Old 12-19-16, 08:53 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Omg!!! Your 2010 F only has 8k miles! That's freaking sweet! And USB!!! That was a nice find congrats! Don't let the loss get to you. When I went to the drag strip for the first time, I got whooped by a 550i. My cousin was furious because he knew it was heavier and stock...so he thought. Weeks later, after practicing more at the drag strip. I find the owner of the same bimmer. Indeed, he told me and showed me he was all stock, except Tune. His tune was controlled via cell phone, he had access to air intake temps, oil temp, hp and torque numbers. All via cell phone app, It was crazy! With just a tune his car was making well over 500hp/ft/lbs of torque.
Old 12-19-16, 10:22 AM
semnosNSX
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I totally get what you are feeling, but you can't beat yourself up over it thinking that something is wrong with your car because you lost a race. It is almost impossible to know what happened without knowing what the other car had done to it (if anything). This reminds me of the days when I was heavy into the sport compact car scene. I had a heavily modded Honda civic that looked relatively stock from the outside (other than wheels and lowered), but had more money under the hood than the car was even worth lol. I can't tell you how many Mustangs and Camaro's I destroyed regularly. I even pulled on a Porsche during a late night freeway run. Can you imagine how the owner of the Porsche felt when his $80K car just got beat by a $10K civic? lol.

Anyway, just do a full inspection of your car to make sure it's running right and forget about the BMW that beat you. I'm sure there will be plenty of cars in the future that you will beat.... and plenty that will beat you. At the end of the day, just be safe out there!

Also, 11MPG is low, but not out of the ordinary if you are doing all city driving and keeping your foot buried in the pedal. I drive ALL city and "get on it" once or twice a day and I see about 16MPG.