IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

guibo / flex coupling - replace rubber coupling or whole DS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 08:52 PM
GarageB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default guibo / flex coupling - replace rubber coupling or whole DS

Ive been unable to find a part number for the flex disc, and from what I've read the flex disc is not a separate part # anymore.

With that said, is it still possible to replace it with another Toyota/Lexus flex disc? Has anyone done this or compared the ISF to a Toyota spare part (from other Toyo/Lex models)?

Have a feeling that mine is putting a lot of slop/delay into my driveline. Getting rough downshifts and jerky feeling on sharp throttle stabs. Also, when cruising at neighborhood speeds, everytime I even touch the throttle I hear a small click from the middle of the car (i assume as I am re-adding torque to the DS).
Old 12-15-16, 09:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

The Guibos is bonded to the driveshaft. No idea if using a previously separate one would be without issues. I was sad to learn this some years ago.
Old 04-10-20, 02:12 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Damn and I was looking up wear n tear replacement parts. This is one of the things I was looking for...
Old 04-12-20, 02:34 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
Damn and I was looking up wear n tear replacement parts. This is one of the things I was looking for...
We've figured out the Guibo's do actually unbolt & separate.. However, they are not
sold individually.. They are included in the full purchase of the drive shaft, which also comes fully assembled with the center support bearing.

Research in progress to see if any other Toyota / Lexus Guibo part # is the identical unit.

Joe Z
Old 04-12-20, 02:44 AM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
We've figured out the Guibo's do actually unbolt & separate.. However, they are not
sold individually.. They are included in the full purchase of the drive shaft, which also comes fully assembled with the center support bearing.

Research in progress to see if any other Toyota / Lexus Guibo part # is the identical unit.

Joe Z
I'm with you on this Joe. I'm trying to help out this community as well and shed some light on things that many owners don't look for when it comes to maintenance.
Old 04-13-20, 02:10 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Toyota Lexus sure doesn’t like selling individual parts.
The following users liked this post:
RJMacReady (03-28-23)
Old 05-19-20, 08:17 PM
Lunatrix
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Joe Z
Mine is cracked in multiple spots, ever find a good work around for this, Joe Z ?
Old 05-19-20, 08:57 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Lunatrix
Mine is cracked in multiple spots, ever find a good work around for this, Joe Z ?
Where are the cracks ?? Not the thin rubber film over these pockets ?

MY08 with 180k miles

^^ Not mine, just eBay pic showing backside.
Old 06-25-20, 12:03 AM
MuzzaB
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to replace one of mine within a year as vehicle inspectors over here in New Zealand are pretty pedantic. And only a couple of Fs have been wrecked over here so finding parts is fiddly.
Has anyone pulled one out and taken measurements yet? I spotted a eBay listing for one for a LS460. That may work
Old 06-25-20, 01:18 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

Received 347 Likes on 219 Posts

While your in there you might as well upgrade or replace your transmission mount as well. I simply upgraded both mount and DS.

Positron (06-25-20)
Old 06-25-20, 07:18 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
While your in there you might as well upgrade or replace your transmission mount as well. I simply upgraded both mount and DS.

The one thing I'm worried about when doing aftermarket upgrades like this is that you might as well upgrade everything. The vibrations will transfer somewhere else and the other parts that are not reinforced end up getting more wear and tear. There was another thread about a similar issue they had when they upgraded most of the mounts to polyurethane and had a lot of arms for the front and rear suspension upgraded to FIGS. The ride was unbearably harsh for them in daily driving conditions and the other bushings that were not upgraded were shortly destroyed after the other upgrades. I asked FIGS if they could make a polyurethane giubo but said it wasn't really worth it unless you specifically need it for track use and they offer custom solid giubos as well.

I even asked them if they could make a polyurethane transmission mount as well since they already sell their solid mount but they too also said that the OEM transmission mount covers all axis to dampen vibrations. They've seen the KEIN mounts and don't agree that it does a better job since it covers only one axis.
Old 06-25-20, 08:54 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

The one thing I'm worried about when doing aftermarket upgrades like this is that you might as well upgrade everything. The vibrations will transfer somewhere else and the other parts that are not reinforced end up getting more wear and tear. There was another thread about a similar issue they had when they upgraded most of the mounts to polyurethane and had a lot of arms for the front and rear suspension upgraded to FIGS. The ride was unbearably harsh for them in daily driving conditions and the other bushings that were not upgraded were shortly destroyed after the other upgrades. I asked FIGS if they could make a polyurethane giubo but said it wasn't really worth it unless you specifically need it for track use and they offer custom solid giubos as well.

I even asked them if they could make a polyurethane transmission mount as well since they already sell their solid mount but they too also said that the OEM transmission mount covers all axis to dampen vibrations. They've seen the KEIN mounts and don't agree that it does a better job since it covers only one axis.
Driving a car no matter what’s done to it will wear and tear if that’s your concern I highly suggest buying a bike or bicycle and never touching the car again because every time you do it will wear and tear. Figs talks about it being a multi axis mount lol please...it’s not different then any other trans mount on a V8 it simply twists. It doesn’t shift forward or back or diagonally etc.....it simply twists and the Kein mount just like any other mount for a mustang, camaro etc keeps it in place and fights it from twisting. Guess what the driveshaft does? It twists so if you have good grip and make good power it will make the trans want to twist. Common sense here. Funny though how the oem mount and only there solid mount can handle this so call multi axis movement yet the Kein mount can’t. Kein mount being the best of both worlds, not solid and stiffer then the oem mount. Unbearably harsh is subjective. You can get a guy who rides in a car with sway bar bushings and cry about how “stiff and harsh” it is. I couldn’t imagine any of the people on here who complain about harshness and stiffness on stock suspension or with a simple USRS installed. Blows my mind lol it’s like you clearly picked the wrong platform. They obviously need something plush and soft. You can’t handle like a Ferrari and have the soft plush feel of an Escalade as well. It’s either or. I have both along with all poly bushings, spherical bearings and penske coilovers and I love how it handles and feels. I also have solid motor mounts and love how solid and instant the throttle and trans feels but someone else might lose their mind because of how horrendously stiff and harsh it feels. If your sensitive to any of those things just leave your car stock do some led interior bulbs and maybe tints and call it a day. I on the other hand love how my car feels and the performance I got from it. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Last edited by ISFpowered; 06-26-20 at 12:48 PM.
Positron (06-26-20)
Old 06-25-20, 11:52 PM
xdejablu3x
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ISFpowered
Driver a car no matter what’s done to it will wear and tear if that’s your concern I highly suggest buying a bike or bicycle and never touching the car again because every time you do it will wear and tear. Figs talks about it being a multi axis mount lol please...it’s not different then any other trans mount on a V8 it simply twists. It doesn’t shift forward or back or diagonally etc.....it simply twists and the Kein mount just like any other mount for a mustang, camaro etc keeps it in place and fights it from twisting. Guess what the driveshaft does? It twists so if you have good grip and make good power it will make the trans want to twist. Common sense here. Funny though how the oem mount and only there solid mount can handle this so call multi axis movement yet the Kein mount can’t. Kein mount being the best of both worlds, not solid and stiffer then the oem mount. Unbearably harsh is subjective. You can get a guy who rides in a car but sway bar bushings and cry about how “stiff and harsh” it is. I couldn’t imagine any of the people on here who complain on harshness and stiffness on stock suspension or with a simple USRS installed. Blows my mind lol it’s like you clearly picked the wrong platform. They obviously need something plush and soft. Can handle like a Ferrari and feel like a plush Escalade as well it’s like pick one. I have both along with all poly bushings, spherical bearings and penske coilovers and I love how it handles and feels. I also have solid motor mounts and lover how solid and instant the throttle and trans feels but someone else might lose their mind because of how horrendously stiff and harsh it feels. If your sensitive to any of those things just leave your car stock do some led interior bulbs and maybe tints and call it a day. I on the other hand love how my car feels and the performance I got from it. I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I don't mind a little harshness to the ride as I had stiff suspension and a decent amount of bracing in my previous car. For my job, we structurally repair rotary wing aircraft and most of the cracks are caused from vibrations. Everytime we reinforce area, another are becomes unstable and soon cracks there. Even the upgraded mods to the aircraft that dampen the vibrations also get destroyed (which is a good thing as that was it's intended use) but developed cracks in areas that were not a problem before. What I'm saying is that, I'd hate to upgrade one thing and have to upgrade the next when it wasn't a problem before. I'm still looking into the KEIN mount myself as it's not too expensive and easy install but those that do have it, most of us here would gladly appreciate some real world numbers rather than just a placebo and butt dynos.

You've done the community a good thing yourself by trying out the mount too and I've been following the KEIN mount threads. I guess I would just be more comfortable with concrete evidence to see if and how those transmission mounts performed. As for the giubos, it would be awesome to have aftermarket options for those who want or need them rather than to buy a whole driveshaft via aftermarket or OEM. Also, you're literally taking my response as a black and white answer. I try to open view points in the grey area because this is an open forum and we all love to learn about our vehicles.

I'm not looking for a track/street monster that rides like a super luxurious car and I very well know everyone's perspective of what's harsh to some may be smooth to them. If we can reduce the rate if wear and tear on bushings and other mounts alike, all while increasing performance of the vehicle (suspension and drivetrain wise), I'm all for it. I'm not looking for an end all be all customization of parts. I guess you could say something that can meet in the middle between performance and reliability.
Old 06-26-20, 12:52 PM
ISFpowered
Instructor

I don't mind a little harshness to the ride as I had stiff suspension and a decent amount of bracing in my previous car. For my job, we structurally repair rotary wing aircraft and most of the cracks are caused from vibrations. Everytime we reinforce area, another are becomes unstable and soon cracks there. Even the upgraded mods to the aircraft that dampen the vibrations also get destroyed (which is a good thing as that was it's intended use) but developed cracks in areas that were not a problem before. What I'm saying is that, I'd hate to upgrade one thing and have to upgrade the next when it wasn't a problem before. I'm still looking into the KEIN mount myself as it's not too expensive and easy install but those that do have it, most of us here would gladly appreciate some real world numbers rather than just a placebo and butt dynos.

You've done the community a good thing yourself by trying out the mount too and I've been following the KEIN mount threads. I guess I would just be more comfortable with concrete evidence to see if and how those transmission mounts performed. As for the giubos, it would be awesome to have aftermarket options for those who want or need them rather than to buy a whole driveshaft via aftermarket or OEM. Also, you're literally taking my response as a black and white answer. I try to open view points in the grey area because this is an open forum and we all love to learn about our vehicles.

I'm not looking for a track/street monster that rides like a super luxurious car and I very well know everyone's perspective of what's harsh to some may be smooth to them. If we can reduce the rate if wear and tear on bushings and other mounts alike, all while increasing performance of the vehicle (suspension and drivetrain wise), I'm all for it. I'm not looking for an end all be all customization of parts. I guess you could say something that can meet in the middle between performance and reliability.
The only thing I see I guess maybe breaking would be the cradle for the trans but my god is that thing beefy and thick. The aluminum there from the factory is enforced well. I personally would never see that being an issue honestly. Another good alternative would be a one piece driveshaft but with poly bushings as an option VS a solid aluminum puck. That way you get the performance but not the down side that some would see as far as stiffness and feel.
Old 06-26-20, 01:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,471 Posts

The part number for the guibos is 37511-30020. This is the same unit used in the 6-speed Supra. I did a measurement check with both cars in the air, and they're as identical as two parts can be. They run about $250 each or a little less from the most aggressive Internet Lexus parts sources.

To add a little to this - stiffening mounts undoubtedly moves stress somewhere else. Those squishy OEM mounts and bushings wear out for sure, but they don't wear out the expensive pieces. You'll never crack a transmission housing or stress fracture a block with rubber mounts. You definitely might with solid mounts. So just accept you'll be replacing more expensive parts than replacing cheap rubber bushings when the failures occur. If you're lucky, you'll sell the car before those failures happen.

I'm not bashing the Kein mount here either. I have one and I intend to install it when I do the massive makeover at 180k miles. But I'm keeping the OEM engine mounts (the revised design now used on all the 2UR-GSE platforms) mostly because I don't want the stress transfer from something more solid.
The following 7 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
caymandive (08-27-23), Joe Z (06-28-20), kingborica01 (08-25-23), lawrence1 (07-08-20), RJMacReady (03-28-23), s3v3n (06-19-22), xdejablu3x (06-28-20) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: guibo / flex coupling - replace rubber coupling or whole DS