car max sold me a car that was in two accidents

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 03:53 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default car max sold me a car that was in two accidents

sooo where to start ?

6 months ago i hit a deer coming home from a road trip in my F.

I had progressive take it to one of their shops (Worst mistake ever) and had the F repaired.

They gave me a new bumper and hood and repaired the fenders, the paint came out super orange peely .. they sprayed dupont Cromax

moving forward i moved to san antonio, and where they made repairs at in the fender started making a metal clinking noise.

i talk to progressive and they say they will take care of it, and he shows me my car's history

it was hit 2x with the original owner making claims but the accidents were not reported by the shop.

i called carmax and asked if i could have the difference of the car being a 2 accident car vs one with no accidents.

my question i guess is .. do i have any recourse with carmax ?

car is a 2012 OB with red interior, i bought it in february for 39,500 with 49K on the odo
Old 12-15-16, 04:35 AM
HankMoody
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gravesg
sooo where to start ?

6 months ago i hit a deer coming home from a road trip in my F.

I had progressive take it to one of their shops (Worst mistake ever) and had the F repaired.

They gave me a new bumper and hood and repaired the fenders, the paint came out super orange peely .. they sprayed dupont Cromax

moving forward i moved to san antonio, and where they made repairs at in the fender started making a metal clinking noise.

i talk to progressive and they say they will take care of it, and he shows me my car's history

it was hit 2x with the original owner making claims but the accidents were not reported by the shop.

i called carmax and asked if i could have the difference of the car being a 2 accident car vs one with no accidents.

my question i guess is .. do i have any recourse with carmax ?

car is a 2012 OB with red interior, i bought it in february for 39,500 with 49K on the odo
So you bought a 40K used car and didn't check the CarFax ?
Old 12-15-16, 04:40 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by HankMoody
So you bought a 40K used car and didn't check the CarFax ?

checked the carfax 3x's and then went an bought an autocheck vin run as well before purchase

also did the lexus pre buy inspection ...
Old 12-15-16, 05:39 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

So Progressive had a vehicle history report that doesn't show on carfax? Does not compute.
Old 12-15-16, 05:56 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FFM
So Progressive had a vehicle history report that doesn't show on carfax? Does not compute.
lol yea, so what im finding out is that the insurance companies maintain a database between each other that's not shared with an outside source.

so when the my guy at progressive ran my vin in this shared database, it pulled 2 claims/accidents with the original owner who had state farm.

state farm took care of both claims without issue it seems and the shops that did the work did not report it to carfax and other agencies etc ...
Old 12-15-16, 05:59 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Were you using carmax provided carfax/autocheck that was doctored? Unless insurance dropped the ball on putting those accidents on the record I don't know how those go unlisted.
Old 12-15-16, 06:01 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nks979
Were you using carmax provided carfax/autohistory that was doctored? Unless insurance dropped the ball on putting those accidents on the record thats all I can think of.

nope not doctored, just re-ran the vin to verify and the autocheck as well....

it looks like insurance dropped the ball on this one...

going forward i'll be sure to run the vin by my insurance company first for any claims on cars i buy.
Old 12-15-16, 06:15 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Okay it's official!!! Never buy a car from car max. Especially from Miami. I have a friend that has a friend that "specializes" in rolling back miles for cars of all makes and models. Car max happens to be one of his clients. I wanted to post this awhile back but I didn't want any back lash. After, reading this...I'm totally convinced! I'm sorry this happened to you OP. Lexus has a way to check the service history and something like this would come up. I seriously thought rolling back miles was a thing of the past and couldn't be done. Car max doesn't even have finance managers. The same salesman sells you the car based on your credit approved status to different banks. Something I'm not accustomed too. There's no negotiating...their hands are tied. So I think you should start with car max corporate and then work your way down.
Old 12-15-16, 06:30 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I've never trusted CarFax, Autocheck, etc etc etc when it comes to the full vehicle history... there is a lot that can somehow be unlisted on those things. I don't know exactly how the data gets reported to those companies, but somehow a lot of it goes unreported.

My IS250, for instance, had a completely clean carfax record. 1 owner leased vehicle. No accidents. No issues. Yet almost all of the vehicle had been repainted (noticeable to the trained eye), and when you pull Lexus service history it shows a repair for what they listed as "front impact damage, rear impact damage". Unfortunately I ended up buying that car on a cloudy day, when the car was dirty, and put too much faith in the CarFax only to be let down later when I got into the detailing work on it and saw obvious signs of repaint.

Heck, I've seen numerous brand new vehicles that have had panels repaired/repainted and the damage had never been disclosed to the new owners.
Old 12-15-16, 06:30 AM
ZaxF
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Okay it's official!!! Never buy a car from car max. Especially from Miami. I have a friend that has a friend that "specializes" in rolling back miles for cars of all makes and models. Car max happens to be one of his clients. I wanted to post this awhile back but I didn't want any back lash. After, reading this...I'm totally convinced! I'm sorry this happened to you OP. Lexus has a way to check the service history and something like this would come up. I seriously thought rolling back miles was a thing of the past and couldn't be done. Car max doesn't even have finance managers. The same salesman sells you the car based on your credit approved status to different banks. Something I'm not accustomed too. There's no negotiating...their hands are tied. So I think you should start with car max corporate and then work your way down.
"Specializes in rolling back miles". That's like saying he specializes in selling cocaine. Probably one of the more ridiculous things I've heard. Rolling miles back immediately flags when a new title is issued, so regardless if the miles were rolled back on the lot, as soon as the car is sold the miles are recorded and the title would be flagged NAM (not actual miles) on carfax and autocheck. Carmax is upfront about selling cars that have been in accidents but will not sell cars with frame or flood damage, or branded titles, among other things. Carmax partners with most of the major banks, and their 'finance manager' is an entire group called CAF. They are the liaison between the salesman and the bank. Rates are not negotiable, they are based on your down payment and credit worthiness. They aren't a traditional dealership that makes the customer jump through hoops and play the negotiation game while the salesperson goes back and forth to their 'manager' to close a deal.
Old 12-15-16, 06:31 AM
gravesg
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kitabel
Progressive had a vehicle history report that doesn't show on carfax? Does not compute

Nobody "dropped the ball", and you have no recourse with Carfax, all they do is report what they know and the accidents were never reported.

i wouldn't call it a vehicle history report, more like a shared claims database between insurance companies that's not shared with the rest of the world.

they could see the claims .. but for more detail i had to call state farm.

yea... after the phone calls .. they offered to to work a deal back on the car since its not been a year yet .. and put me into something else .. but .. ahh.. nah .. im good
Old 12-15-16, 06:43 AM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint work is fairly easy to spot. You will see fish eyes and other imperfections. If you have a hard time seeing with your eyes you can buy a paint meter and go around the car. When buying a used car there will always be some unknown. But if the car was in two prior accidents and you did not inspect the car yourself, don't blame anyone else.
Old 12-15-16, 07:03 AM
Kojak77
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stuffed a deer at 50mph several years ago in a 2005 Acura TL.

It was just under $9,000 in damage. I didn't call the cops, paid my deductible and had it fixed.

When I traded the car in, the dealer ran a Carfax report, and no accidents were there. They sold the car as a No Accident car.

Not sure if the lack of a police report prevented the crash from showing up or what.
Old 12-15-16, 07:14 AM
nicklausw
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would you think that Carmax has any liability? You always had the option to purchase Autocheck or get a PPI on your own. All of these reporting services are far from perfect, which is why it is your responsibility as a buyer to inspect or have it inspected.
Old 12-15-16, 07:18 AM
thoiboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kojak77
I stuffed a deer at 50mph several years ago in a 2005 Acura TL.

It was just under $9,000 in damage. I didn't call the cops, paid my deductible and had it fixed.

When I traded the car in, the dealer ran a Carfax report, and no accidents were there. They sold the car as a No Accident car.

Not sure if the lack of a police report prevented the crash from showing up or what.
No, it's up to you/Insurance company/body shop to report to Carfax. No reporting = nothing on the report!
The following users liked this post:
Kojak77 (12-15-16)

Quick Reply: car max sold me a car that was in two accidents