IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Adams rotors shot after less than 10,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 04:22 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adams rotors shot after less than 10,000 miles

So in November of last year I had to replace my pads and rotors and decided to go with Adams rotors with the upgraded G4000 high carbon iron along with ebc yellow stuff pads. As of right now, according to the dealership, my pads and rotors are completely shot and I've driven probably 10,000 miles. The G4000 high carbon iron is supposed to help the rotors last longer but clearly something's wrong. I never really liked the ebc yellow stuff pads but I was under the impression that they were very friendly to rotors and don't cause any premature rotor wear. I honestly drive completely normal, no track days, no brake stands and drive the car 95% of the time in the city so I'm not braking from high speeds either. Has anybody else had problems similar to this with Adams rotors? I've seen plenty of people talk greatly about how their rotors have held up over the years but I'm going to contact Adams rotors and let them know about this situation.

Last edited by 2010ISF; 12-14-16 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 04:40 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have the measurements?
Old 12-14-16, 04:45 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Not yet, took the car in to get pads changed and they called me to tell me the rotors were shot and that they ordered parts and are going to install it tomorrow. I'll follow up with them on measurements tomorrow morning
Old 12-14-16, 04:54 PM
themap
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get the measurements and seeing them in person before changing the pads. Unfortunately, the dealers are there to make money and there are times when they will recommend something that isnt needed.
Old 12-14-16, 04:59 PM
2010ISF
Driver

I took my car in at the end of November to fix the valley plate leak and they originally told me that my pads were worn and down to 2 mm. They showed me and everything so I ordered pads and went to take the car in to get the pads replaced and they just told me about the rotors. I gave them the okay to order the rotors but I let them know that I was going to come in the morning to talk to the tech and see what's going on.
Old 12-14-16, 05:25 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The only person that I recall having an issue with Adams rotor was flowrider. I couldn't find the thread where he explained in depth the issue but this is the link to a follow up. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nt-rotors.html

Also, I just want to make you aware eBay and Amazon sell the OEM rotors for less than $430 for all 4 corners. I kid you not, I got mine shipped in less than 24hrs for $390. I mated them with Winmax pads and done the complete opposite as you. I been drag racing, running well into triple digit speeds, braking hard!, and have had no issues. Except for dust and brake noise. They're track pads so I'd expect that.
Old 12-14-16, 05:29 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/351736385921

Here you go! I emailed this same seller and they gave me a better deal!
Old 12-14-16, 05:35 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Thanks for the tip! The dealership cut me a deal of 120 per rotor since they originally told me the rotors were fine but I'll keep that in mind next time because that's basically a steal!
Old 12-14-16, 07:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
The only person that I recall having an issue with Adams rotor was flowrider. I couldn't find the thread where he explained in depth the issue but this is the link to a follow up. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...nt-rotors.html
My issues with Adams Rotors were cosmetic in nature, packaging of the product, and terrible customer service. I now have over 20K miles on the Ferodo pads and Adams rotors. Plenty of life left in both.

Lou
Old 12-14-16, 08:02 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Slight mistake on my behalf, rotors were installed at the end of November last year instead of march of this year. But according to the receipt from the install of the brakes I've still only gone less than 10,000 miles on them
Old 12-14-16, 09:38 PM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

What makes them 'shot'.. I think that'll confirm/answer any doubt that's circulating that brand. I wouldn't be surprised if they just said that to get the fee of replacing them. Your usage sounds way too conservative to be simply worn down.

Also, I'm 30-32K on my OEM pad/rotors. 90% City.
Old 12-14-16, 09:51 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Adams has the worst service known to the auto industry but in this case it's a good chance the dealership is just trying to make a buck off you. Everytime my wife takes her SUV in for for service they give her a list of things that "need to be replaced" 95% of it is BS even the fluids changes they recommended were premature even according to the service manual, they are out to make money, the more they sell you the better bonus they get.
Old 12-14-16, 10:59 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Originally Posted by jum3
What makes them 'shot'.. I think that'll confirm/answer any doubt that's circulating that brand. I wouldn't be surprised if they just said that to get the fee of replacing them. Your usage sounds way too conservative to be simply worn down.

Also, I'm 30-32K on my OEM pad/rotors. 90% City.
by shot I mean that both the pads and rotors are worn to the point where the dealership says it's unsafe to drive on. They showed me how worn the pads are a few weeks ago but I haven't seen the rotors yet
Old 12-14-16, 11:02 PM
2010ISF
Driver

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Adams has the worst service known to the auto industry but in this case it's a good chance the dealership is just trying to make a buck off you. Everytime my wife takes her SUV in for for service they give her a list of things that "need to be replaced" 95% of it is BS even the fluids changes they recommended were premature even according to the service manual, they are out to make money, the more they sell you the better bonus they get.
yeah I agree with you 100% that's why I let them know that I want to see the rotors before they install the new ones and possibly waste my money. They'll be wasting their own money if they order rotors and it turns out I don't need to install them
Old 12-15-16, 06:21 AM
imp0rted1
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
Do you have the measurements?

any update?

Quick Reply: Adams rotors shot after less than 10,000 miles