IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla exhaust installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 12:15 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Sounds like the exhaust is building interest again.

Contact us for yours!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-07-16, 02:46 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^I've mentioned the Borla clamp issue numerous times on this forum, and on the G35 forum in years past. David Borla and I had a rather heated eMail discussion on the subject 10 or 12years ago. I never liked the clamping method Borla uses and will let anyone know why who will listen to me. With the clamping systems available today, it's beyond me why Borla clings to this technology. Because of this, I would never buy a Borla exhaust, and would urge anyone with a Borla system to weld all the connections. IMHO, their clamping system is crap and over time will leak

Lou
This is true. I've had my Borla system on my car about 3 years now with around 40k miles... there is a slight leak and a tiny rattle that's developed over the years. Great value and price point though....the sound is really attractive compared to stock, but I wish it was a tad bit louder. As is, its perfect if you're hauling your wife, family, coworkers around.... if you're hauling other car enthusiast around, then yes, wish it were louder.
Old 01-16-17, 10:44 AM
davidborla
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iH8RICERZ
This is true. I've had my Borla system on my car about 3 years now with around 40k miles... there is a slight leak and a tiny rattle that's developed over the years. Great value and price point though....the sound is really attractive compared to stock, but I wish it was a tad bit louder. As is, its perfect if you're hauling your wife, family, coworkers around.... if you're hauling other car enthusiast around, then yes, wish it were louder.
After 40 years offering a million mile warranty I can tell you confidently that there are tens of thousands of Borla exhaust systems on the road for decades that don't have any leaks or rattles. Leaks and rattles are unacceptable on any Borla system and if you're experiencing one, or both, of these something is not right and needs to be fixed. As I mentioned, we offer a million mile warranty so please use our customer service team to remedy this for you. The experience will be quick and easy. Please reference me, and this forum, when you do so I know it's been handled to your satisfaction.

Connection points are a necessary evil in aftermarket exhaust systems due to the fact that they have to fit in a box that is preferably NOT oversized. As I mentioned above, the clamps we use in our systems last for decades without leaking. We wouldn't have the reputation we have if that was not the case. Yes, we can use a more expensive clamping system but our testing and experience shows the cost would far outweigh the benefits.

Anyhow, if you have any issues with our products we stand behind them. But we need you to tell us you have an issue or we'll never know.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Kojak77 (01-17-17)
Old 01-16-17, 10:58 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice... (10 char)
Old 01-16-17, 11:03 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

davidborla,
Good to see a Borla rep on here, since there are numerous members with your exhaust system on the F. Is there anything you guys can do to address the droning with these exhaust?
Old 01-16-17, 11:26 AM
davecape2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my car with the borla cat back system already on it and at every joint there was a leak. I just had mine tig welded on all the joints because I have no plans on changing the borla system. The car is a daily driver and I think the sound is just right for a daily driver. Anyways I'm not sure how long the previous owner had the exhaust on the car. Maybe it was not install correctly as far as the clamps go. I didn't see anything wrong with the clamps while they were taking them off as far as them being loose. I just believe that stainless is a harder material than a standard steel to compress with clamps therefore it has more potential to have leaks. But I love the way my borla exhaust sounds. Very nice system overall.
Old 01-16-17, 12:31 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

I am pretty happy with my Borla, only had it on for a month/1k miles or so though. There is def some droning, but nothing overly annoying. Mostly just in non-Sport mode up a slight grade below 40mph. I have seen some people mention welding in a "venturi" supplied by Borla that fixes it, but I'm not sure how much if any power is lost. I have read that it shouldn't be any, but no dyno sheets to confirm. Either way, happy my neighbors don't hate me and love hearing it being driven by someone else. Favorite mod on the car by far!
Old 01-16-17, 12:45 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the borla drone more or less than a muffler/2nd cat delete?
Old 01-16-17, 01:13 PM
davidborla
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
davidborla,
Good to see a Borla rep on here, since there are numerous members with your exhaust system on the F. Is there anything you guys can do to address the droning with these exhaust?
Thanks!

Regarding drone, we went through our customer service data and we've only received complaints for 2.5% of all the systems we've sold over 8 years. With a success rate of over 97% we feel the issue is not widespread. Please remember that sound is subjective so one man's drone is another man's symphony. Someone previously mentioned venturis, yes we've sent those out to all who have complained and the results have been very positive. If you want a set of venturis please contact our customer service team.

Any more questions, please let me know.
Old 01-17-17, 07:09 AM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I absolutely love my borla. I also have leaks at the slip joints. I REALLY with there was a through bumper design with tips. Contacted your customer service and was told they will not look into r&d since when the exhaust was being designed, the majority of people wanted to keep the stock exhaust diffusers.
Old 01-17-17, 07:54 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Lmood
Contacted your customer service and was told they will not look into r&d since when the exhaust was being designed, the majority of people wanted to keep the stock exhaust diffusers.
That's a bummer, since many have moved on from caring for the stock diffusers. Which is likely what led Lexus to go away from them on the RCF. People wanna see some mean REAL tips out the back haha.
Old 01-17-17, 10:43 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been around exhaust systems for almost fifty years, everything from bad systems that you would call junk to systems that were even worse. I've worked on race car headers of every type. Sealing them was sometimes an issue but generally doable. Leaks were just about always do to damage, poor gaskets or usually improper installation.

I installed the Borla on my F just after I purchased it and have had zero problems. I think the pipe clamps are well engineered and do what they are supposed to do. If they leak, I'd have to suggest that they were probably installed incorrectly.

Borla has always been known for a quality product. Odd that I'd see these comments, but I notice not to many people that own a Lexus do there own work. Maybe they should.
Old 01-17-17, 03:05 PM
moleb
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hmm

This has me worried. I was thinking about getting borla exhaust. But if they have welding issues I might go elsewhere. I'll do more research

Old 01-17-17, 03:25 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Most people have no issue with their Borla, I wouldn't worry at all it's a great exhaust that puts out some good power over stock!
Old 01-17-17, 04:00 PM
Lmood
Lexus Test Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by moleb
This has me worried. I was thinking about getting borla exhaust. But if they have welding issues I might go elsewhere. I'll do more research
the exhaust is great. Great sound, great price, easy install. I need to clarify that some of my leaks are install error. It's not enough to concern me. You can just see the the a soot trail at some of the joints. Again, I love my borla. I am very happy that I picked one up.

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust installed