IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oil change mess

Old 12-05-16, 11:12 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by s4chico
Check post #4
oh, thanks for pointing that out. thanks lobuxs also!

Is anyone with a lowered car using this?
Old 12-05-16, 04:05 PM
supersonic
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my question for everyone is this,

when setting the car on rhino ramps, doesnt it not drain all of the oil because its not level?? Ive always thought about this and wondered, if this isnt a problem then i might as well start doing it at home.
Old 12-05-16, 11:34 PM
snackids
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sure it's slower, but you're not going to get hot oil spewing out of the drain, so you can drain the oil when it is at full operating temperature without burning yourself or coating your tools with hot oil. Saves a whole lot of mess too because you can just stuff the hose in your drain pan, open the valve, and take a break while it drains. Or you can do the filter while it is draining because you can move your pan to sit directly under the filter because the hose is making sure you don't make a mess.

Seriously, if you haven't used one of these, you have no idea what you are missing.
When the valve is installed, do the threads extend past the floor of the oil pan? I was reading on 4Runners where this is the case and not all of the oil drains out of the pan. Granted we're talking about a few ounces only but just wondering.
Old 12-06-16, 04:35 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by newgsman
Would this still work if the funnel is not red
Definitely not! I've had nothing but trouble using any other color!!

-Mike
Old 12-06-16, 06:45 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by supersonic
my question for everyone is this,

when setting the car on rhino ramps, doesnt it not drain all of the oil because its not level?? Ive always thought about this and wondered, if this isnt a problem then i might as well start doing it at home.
I actually back the F into my garage and set the ramps on the driveway so when I am on the ramps the car is pretty much level.
Old 12-06-16, 07:52 AM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scruggyj
Do you guys have the issue of oil running onto the undertray behind the drain plug? I had my car on ramps and was draining the oil and the stream was partially hitting the undertray and now I have a bunch of residual oil on it. Made a big mess!
i put my car on ramps as well but i never had that happen. i always do however leave the oil cap on the engine until after i remove the drain bolt underneath the car to prevent a too powerful stream, simply physics.
Old 12-06-16, 09:53 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by snackids
When the valve is installed, do the threads extend past the floor of the oil pan? I was reading on 4Runners where this is the case and not all of the oil drains out of the pan. Granted we're talking about a few ounces only but just wondering.
I haven't tried removing the valve after draining to see what the exact volume is. If you are really worried about it, you can add a second washer, or if you're really wound up about it, you can drop the pan and grind it off flush with the inside of the pan. It's impossible to get all the oil out of an engine which is why there is a dry fill number and a change number. Dry fill is usually about a quart more than change in an engine our size.
Old 12-07-16, 12:59 PM
FNSSESPORT
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
oh, thanks for pointing that out. thanks lobuxs also!

Is anyone with a lowered car using this?
Fumoto offers an option with a shorter nipple, which could be an option for lowered cars. I personally opted for the shorter nipple, it was quite a bit cheaper for some reason. The only drawbacks i see as a result of the shorter nipple are:
1) you need a special "socket" to attach the drain hose to the shorter nipple. The socket was $1.00.
2) There was no cap available for the shorter nipple (to keep dirt out etc). You could probably just get the cap for the longer nipple and cut it down.

I never though I would use the word "nipple" so many time is a paragraph.
-R
Old 07-12-21, 03:43 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

No. Never had that issue, and since I put the Fumoto valve in place of the drain bolt, I've had even less opportunity for creating a mess.
Fumoto F-103N is what you need for this one and most Scion/Toyota/Lexus engines. I just stick a clear plastic hose on the nipple, open the valve, have a beer or two while I'm waiting, then close the valve and it's all done. No mess, no fuss. The worst part of the oil change now is the filter change.
Lance how is the Fumoto valve holding up over the years? I was thinking about getting one
Old 07-12-21, 05:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,837 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Still works a charm. I put one in my Supra and I found it stuck in a bit far and left a little over a quart when level and fully drained using water. I did some custom grinding on it an got it down to less than a cup. I imagine I could do the same with the GS F and IS F, but with 10+ quarts at full capacity vs. 6.6 for the Supra, it makes a much smaller difference. The burr bit wasn't my best friend, but I'm not worried about it since this spot is constantly covered with oil, so corrosion is very unlikely.

The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
21ce (12-06-23), ChpEng (07-12-21), MileHIFcar (07-12-21)
Old 12-05-23, 06:28 AM
dosnglenn
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Fumoto F-103N is what you need for this one and most Scion/Toyota/Lexus engines.
A quick update.
I messaged Fumoto last week and the F103N has been superseded by the F133N for the IS F application. The F133N "has a larger internal body and will drain faster".
The following 2 users liked this post by dosnglenn:
21ce (12-06-23), lobuxracer (12-05-23)