Project Mu HC800 pads too big to fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-16, 09:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,080 Likes on 2,472 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
When you're doing a pad change and compress the pistons you're sending the dirtiest fluid which is at the caliper back into the upstream system. It's generally a good idea to crack the valve and get rid of the dirty fluid versus recirculating it.
Which is just another reason I like Earl's Solobleeders. Crack the valve and the fluid only goes out, no air gets back in.
Old 12-06-16, 02:07 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Which is just another reason I like Earl's Solobleeders. Crack the valve and the fluid only goes out, no air gets back in.
I should have mentioned the one-way bleeder valve would be a good idea to have/use for this specific operation.
Old 12-06-16, 02:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,371 Posts

^^^^Yep, based on Lance's recommendation from almost 8 years ago:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-for-is-f.html

I use 'em and luv 'em.

Lou
Old 12-07-16, 11:37 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I had a similar issue when installing these pads with my RR Racing rotors. I was able to get one side in (inside pad), but couldn't squeeze in the outside pad with the shim. I ended up leaving the shim out on the outside, and the pads barely fit. A month or two later, I was able to re-install the shim on the outside pads.

-Mike

I did this the first time around, and managed to squeeze them in.....BUT after driving for a few miles I realised that the pads were in constant contact with the rotors and eventually even started to slightly bake.

Had to stop the car and remove them before things got worse.

I figured the shims not being installed lead to excessive heat transfering to the pads and rotors.

Can anyone think of another reason why the pads start to bake when I squeezed them into the rotors without the shims?
Old 12-07-16, 11:44 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Defratos
I did this the first time around, and managed to squeeze them in.....BUT after driving for a few miles I realised that the pads were in constant contact with the rotors and eventually even started to slightly bake.

Had to stop the car and remove them before things got worse.

I figured the shims not being installed lead to excessive heat transfering to the pads and rotors.

Can anyone think of another reason why the pads start to bake when I squeezed them into the rotors without the shims?
The rotors are too thick.
Old 12-08-16, 02:00 AM
Defratos
Racer

^ The Odd thing is I've had the figs 2-piece rotors installed with Racing Brake XT910 pads from January, so nearly 11 months and the rotors haven't gone down in thickness?

I would have assumed enough space would have been created by now, and I drive the car very aggressively at high speeds and brake very aggressively.

Plus I never had this issue when I installed the rotors new on new RB XT910 pads, so could the Project Mu pads really be that much thicker?

Last edited by Defratos; 12-08-16 at 02:06 AM.
Old 12-09-16, 01:42 AM
DrRMHISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this isn't necessarily a Project mu pads issue, but it's related, so bear with me.

Recently I balked at the proposed cost (here in the UK) for a main dealer to replace my front discs and pads, so I purchased Brembo discs and pads and fitted them myself. Other than the simplicity of fitting them compared to my previous B8 Audi S4 I'm now wondering whether the pads are dragging. It may be a combination of switching to winter tyres (I know, its 13C / 55F, but this is just wrong) and there could be tyre noise, but I think I'm hearing the pads in constant contact with the discs. My daily commute is about 35miles each way on motorways and when I stop, the wheels and discs aren't significantly hot, but something is just bugging me. I used a clamp to push the pistons back into the calipers to fit the new thicker pads over the new thicker discs so that's fine. There is some slight squealing at mid pressure (hard pressure and it goes, light pressure and it isn't there), but does the brake system pull the pistons back fully when everything is powered up? Is there anything I should do / look for?
Old 12-09-16, 09:24 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,948 Likes on 1,371 Posts

^^^^Brembo is a manufacturer of calipers. AFAIK, Brembo does not make disks or pads. So I wonder what brand you actually bought

Lou
Old 12-09-16, 09:45 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Brembo is a manufacturer of calipers. AFAIK, Brembo does not make disks or pads. So I wonder what brand you actually bought

Lou
Oddly enough, I've seen the OEM Jurid pads with Brembo markings on them. Jurid is stamped into the backing plate, but Brembo is stenciled on the pad as well. You are correct, Brembo does not make pads at all.
Old 12-09-16, 10:32 AM
DrRMHISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the pads came from a motor factors here in Edinburgh, and came in a Brembo box.

The discs came in Brembo boxes and I bought them from Amazon.

The part numbers show as Brembo in each instance.

Does that change anything though?
Old 12-16-16, 10:25 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Just wanted to update this thread. We are currently having 20 sets of the front pads from our next batch shaved by 1mm to more easily install over the seemingly ever so slightly wider Racing Brake 2-piece rotors that Figs sells
The following users liked this post:
Defratos (05-16-22)
Old 12-16-16, 07:28 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking

If you just put a little Em.Ay.En into it they should slide right in...

...kidding
Old 12-19-16, 02:41 PM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure Brembo has multiple in-house foundries not only for calipers, but discs too.
Old 12-19-16, 11:12 PM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the update Speedfreaks,

I managed to get one pad in on each caliper and the remaining two I've just given to our projects department to trim down by 1 or 2 mm.
Old 12-20-16, 01:04 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

I just ordered mine, can't wait to try it....

Quick Reply: Project Mu HC800 pads too big to fit?