IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Swift springs install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 03:07 PM
sedition
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Swift springs install question

Had a shop install Swift springs and USRS, the rest of the suspension is stock. Car made some creaking noises over bumps shortly after installation and the problem was the LCA bushings needed lubrication.

Another month or so after install and I start hearing a clicking noise from the rear springs when the load in the rear changes -- not necessarily just over bumps. Definitely more prevalent after car has been driven for a while, and could more replicate it when making tight circle turns over uneven surfaces. Sometimes I was able to bounce the rear end and hear the click/creak and then I could tug on the spring and hear it again.

Seemed like the spring was loose in its seat, so took it back to the shop. They inspected it and everything seemed fine even with the noise. They couldn't say much without pulling it all back apart and since the noise is so minor, they just recommended replacing the rear coil spring insulator (top piece of rubber that sits between the top of the spring and the strut tower).

Anyone experience this? They lubricated the insulator and it quieted down a decent bit. Is it possible the insulator is molded to the stock spring and now that the Swift springs are in there is a tiny gap when the load changes and the spring shifts around? I'm wondering if anyone replaced this part while doing the springs to anticipate this problem.

John
2012 ISF
Old 11-30-16, 06:16 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I've only ran into squeak when it is cold outside, but never when it is warm. On the swifts the lower portions where the coil almost touches should have a rubber insulator, wonder if the shop removed them from the springs? Although don't think it would contribute to a rubber sounding squeak... assuming they are there for paint protection and rusting issues. Also get a clunk/ping when I drive up the curb of the driveway at an angle. I've dismissed these as normal.
Old 11-30-16, 11:41 PM
sedition
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's more of a metallic "clink" as if the spring is not seated fully and slips back into place ever so slightly.

The coil spring insulators are $7-8 bucks a piece and I'm thinking of replacing those to ensure a tighter fit, but I'm guessing no one else has had to do this?
Old 12-01-16, 05:58 AM
Ah Lau
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try Installing Thrust Needle Bearings

I have a Öhlins coilover suspension setup installed 17 March 2015.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...group-buy.html

After about 11 months / 6,000 miles I started to hear knocking / popping / clunking noises from the rear suspension.

The noise was eventually traced to a broken shim on top of the helper spring.

I went to my local bearing store and bought:

4 pcs INA AXK 6590 A Thrust Needle Bearing for about USD 7 each.
http://www.nsk-ina-***.com/INA/INAAXK6590/
https://www.amazon.com/INA-AXK6590-B.../dp/B007D2T3SI

8 pcs INA AS 6590 Thrust Washer about USD 2 each.
https://www.amazon.com/INA-AS6590-Th.../dp/B007D2RBNW

I oiled the bearings with:
ZX1 C76 Micro Pin Oiler.
http://www.team-zx1.com/c76-zx1-micr...pin-oiler.html

Then I sandwiched each bearing top and bottom with the thrust washers.

Since only the rear suspension was making noise, I had my garage disassemble the Öhlins, and insert this bearing sandwich between the Swift spring and the helper spring.

No more noise.

The coilovers also move up and down more silkily because there is no more binding friction and the suspension is much more supple than before.
Attached Thumbnails Swift springs install question-20160712_150844.jpg  
Old 12-01-16, 05:21 PM
dcguy
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Next time you have your rear wheels off... Each rear strut tower has 2 12mm bolts that mount the tower to the chassis. Perhaps those are missing? or were never re-installed? Willing to bet that would make some noise. You have to peel up the edge of the fender liner to see them.