IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Review: Mod In Japan

Old 11-30-16, 07:24 AM
Eminence
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Review: Mod In Japan

I have been holding off with my review and was hoping that I would't have to make this post. Fairly long story but I will keep it short.

I will start off by saying I have been in the import/modding scene for over 15 years, many know me on My.IS, and have purchased products through many countless vendors including over a dozen sets of wheels. In some of my transactions there were hiccups and dissappointments and they weren't all perfect but nothing like my experience with Mod In Japan ("MIJ").

The story.....

After receiving logistical information and affirmation from both MiJ and Mackin Industries I ordered a set of TE37 Ultras through MiJ. Order was placed on May 24th which consisted of a set of wheels in custom black diamond color and matching center caps. ETA was approx. 8-12 weeks.

I would periodically check in with MiJ with the status of the wheel but it was nearly an impossible process. After getting close to the 10th week, I was informed there would be further delays. To cut down on transit time and get the wheels sooner I agreed to pay for them to be air shipped and I was informed to contact them at the end of the first week of Sept. I did just that and informed it was no longer an option because the wheels were already in the container, two separate containers. Wheels finally reach the state and I am still fighting to get the wheels shipped out. I would get tracking information but still had to push to get the wheels to the shipping company. In one incident, I had to threatened MIJ that I would file a claim with my bank for a chargeback. Surprisingly an hour later the wheels got picked up.

At the moment I am still fighting to get the center caps I paid for already. MiJ offered to issue a refund of $200 for the ordeal which I accepted however nearly a month later still no caps or refund. I inquired about both and was told on the 21st they were shipped and they will not issue a refund until I get all the items I ordered.

Hopefully this help anyone who is considering dealing with them.
Old 11-30-16, 09:13 AM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1. They suck now. They were good in the past but now won't even get back to you for a simple question. Stick with Meraki!!!
Old 11-30-16, 10:17 AM
kauaian
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have messaged a handful of vendors on this forum to include Meraki and got no response. The only ones who have my business is FIGS and RR.
Old 11-30-16, 10:53 AM
autoz4me
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Just fractionally off topic but Volk related.

Last time I ordered a set of Volks there lead time was up in the air because I think they being Volk do a certain amount of runs or builds of wheels there not just readily available.I know I missed a build run of the wheel I was after and had to wait months.

Mind you I'm in New Zealand so that may have been part of it.Im not sure F thatmay effect you guys in the US as clearly you aren't as isolated and have a huge market so availability maybe different.
Old 11-30-16, 01:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Not tying to rock the boat or offend anyone, just going to share my story. I ordered a complete Tom's kit from ModInJapan on 7/3 and didn't get the final piece until 11/18. I was also tense and upset and also blamed them BUT in reality their hand were tied and it had nothing to do with them . It was ALLLLLL the damn fault of Tom's . They had a production issue and wanted to redo the diffusers with a new manufacturer . This created a MASSIVE delay that was totally out of the control . I still called , texted , and was mad . I was told 30-45 days and now it's 8 weeks . I contacted Tom's directly only to find that they were in fact the problem and that Lou had been calling them Literally everyday , including calling them from SEMA, to find out when it was shipping out . Then when we did find out Lou called everyday still to see if he could expedite shipping and move things along for me . In the end I felt really bad yelling at Lou and being mad an MIJ when it was Tom's fault.

Bottom line is these frikn Japanese parts are rare, special , and hard to get. That's kind of why many people like them and covet them. I guess you just have to expect this stuff when getting parts from Japan . Just be patient .
Attached Thumbnails Review: Mod In Japan-photo221.jpg   Review: Mod In Japan-photo184.jpg  
Old 11-30-16, 07:51 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear this. My experience was the COMPLETE opposite with MIJ. After a few PMs and text, he called, we had a nice and fun conversation, I paid for my exhaust, throttle controller, and springs and they all sgowed up 2-3 days later. Even followed up with me to make sure the delivery made to me quickly and safely, in which they did. Pricing was excellent as well since I purchased multiple items.
I'm quite sure, as I8ABMR said, it's probably the manufacturer. Nothing he can do about that.
Hope it's all resolved soon enough bro! I know this sort of thing can be frustrating. Hang in their.

V.
Old 12-01-16, 05:38 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I've had positive experiences both times I have made purchases with MIJ. I don't think people realize that ordering things overseas can become quite the long and painful process, ESPECIALLY, with made to order products. Major wheel companies are no exception.
Old 12-02-16, 12:12 PM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kauaian
I have messaged a handful of vendors on this forum to include Meraki and got no response. The only ones who have my business is FIGS and RR.
FIGS is by far one of my best experience on this forum. They emailed me to double check I ordered what I needed and since I did not see the email in time, they called me internationally and left me a voice mail. Great service and always timely responses.

Now when I had ordered air suspension for my IS250 from here, it was the worst experience.
Old 01-20-17, 01:32 PM
Eminence
Pit Crew

So I just want to update this thread and say that Lou from MIJ made things right. I got my center caps and refund as promised.
Old 01-20-17, 02:31 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love reading drama!

You guys tend to forget almost all vendors are just "middlemen" in most cases and if a deal goes south with their supplier, it takes a lot of time to fix.
Old 01-20-17, 08:25 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Eminence
So I just want to update this thread and say that Lou from MIJ made things right. I got my center caps and refund as promised.
Good to hear! Stand up guys.

V.
Old 01-21-17, 07:55 AM
St4nc3
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I would like to add to this thread. and have to agree with most of the guys here about overseas products and their delays in productions, it's always due to them trying to bulk up enough products to save on the shipping prices and import taxes. they normally on Ready to Order products won't ship unless they have a certain amount of ordered items ready to ship. so 8-12 wks can turn into 12-20 weeks or more. As far as dealing with MIJ my experience was directly conducting business with Lou and his Customer service was excellent and would occasionally text me directly to let me know the status of my items i ordered from them. My HKS SSM exhaust. and few other small items. Also Mike Figs has an exceptional customer service and i also deal directly with him as he's been making custom parts for all my cars. and as well with Rafi from RR-Racing.

Jose.
Old 01-21-17, 08:50 AM
Eminence
Pit Crew

It was not so much the wait time from overseas that burnt me but it was the fact that when it got to state side there were more delays. As to transit delays I am completely aware of the assiciated issues but I made it clear that I would cover air shipping.

I am not saying that MIJ is 100% responsible for the mishap but they hold some accountability.

I will add that I went with MiJ over RavSpec because I was lead to believe it was going to be a smooth transaction and shorter wait time. The rep from RavSpec was actually upfront about the production, transit and delivery time.

Nothing surpasses Mike @Figs' customer service. I been a customer of Mike since day one when he started with hood prop kits for the first gen IS.

My last order from Mike was last Nov for BC coils and all the available rear l links for the F. Everytime got to me with any hiccup.
Old 01-23-17, 03:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lexneffect
love reading drama!

You guys tend to forget almost all vendors are just "middlemen" in most cases and if a deal goes south with their supplier, it takes a lot of time to fix.
boooom !!!!
Old 01-23-17, 04:54 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

That's sucks to hear.

I ordered my joe z exhaust from them and got it in 48hrs. I had a good experience so it sucks seeing a bad one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review: Mod In Japan