IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Lexus dealership left off the oil cap...

Old 11-30-16, 12:06 PM
mikedtrd
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISF2NV
Hey Mike this hurts my eyes especially that both me an my bro in law service our F's there. ****ty part is that's the only closest Lexus dealer for us , Kitchener is next but thats another 1hr drive and 2hrs for you. I just had my oil done there on 28th. Now ill be opening up my hood and checking over. My buddy works there so I request for him to do my oil change on my car. I think theyre using low pay rookie apprentices
Hey Martin, ya I'm still in disbelief they screwed up this badly... especially since there's only a small handful of IS-F's that are serviced at this dealership. With your buddy looking after your service you should have better luck!
Old 11-30-16, 12:21 PM
mikedtrd
Driver School Candidate

So after talking to the service manager off and on since Monday, he has decided to personally make the hour trip from London to my house to pick up my car, leave me his car and take care of the issue. They'll be cleaning up the oily mess in the engine bay, replacing the hood liner if necessary and changing the oil and oil filter once again as per my request. I'll let you guys know how it goes...
Old 11-30-16, 01:22 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedtrd
So after talking to the service manager off and on since Monday, he has decided to personally make the hour trip from London to my house to pick up my car, leave me his car and take care of the issue. They'll be cleaning up the oily mess in the engine bay, replacing the hood liner if necessary and changing the oil and oil filter once again as per my request. I'll let you guys know how it goes...
He better be driving an LFA or at least an F car...lol. In all seriousness I'm glad they're coming through with something. I don't fancy the fact, he'll be driving your car for a 2hr round trip. Lots of opportunity for him to open her up. I say 2hr because I think you mentioned you live an hour away and he'll be picking it up and dropping it off, I assume.
Old 11-30-16, 01:33 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely a nice offer from them but like soulfreak said I wouldn't let someone put ~100 miles on my car. Then again I'm weird about people driving my car at all, but it seems like a genuine gesture to make things right.
Old 11-30-16, 03:29 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be worse....when I brought mine in last month for an oil change they crashed it in the car wash and had to keep it for 4 days to fix the rear bumper. Yee haw!
Old 12-01-16, 07:22 AM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Why don't yall just do the oil change your selves fairly simple save yourself 1-2 hour drive and you get peace of mind it's done correctly. ... it will only be a one time investment of a jack a pair of jack stands and a oil container
Old 12-01-16, 08:14 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a dash cam might be more entertainment and more stories to tell

Hope they top it up with v power and include a bottle of stabilizer when they return you F since you intended to store it and had already put the product in. Plus a voucher for free oil change . Their concierge is great I'm just worried who works on these cars.

Hey ap2s2k maybe you should share your experience too if you'd like

one of them was them taking his car next door to Toyota to perform oil change and charging Lexus labour rate.

So Like you said yourself you might aswell do the oil service at your local Toyota and a major service at Lexus as it will be a master tech doing it.

good luck and we should meet up at grand bend motorplex next year

Last edited by ForzaF; 12-01-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-01-16, 08:59 AM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would be hesitant about someone driving my ISF round trip for 2 hours.

If I were you, going forward I would start doing my own oil changes, easiest DIY. You will not only save money, but you will have piece of mind knowing it's done right.
Old 12-01-16, 10:30 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would request to get the liner replaced. Oil soaked in to it. And that stain will never come out. You want to have a clean looking engine bay, and that includes the liner.
Old 12-02-16, 04:18 AM
jdubbsISF
Driver

Originally Posted by mikedtrd
Now that I've realized there's more than enough oil I'm much less angry lol. Thanks for the advice, ya hope they'll at least clean up their mess and a free oil change would be nice too
Free oil change?! You'd consider going back after that experience? Take it elsewhere, that's a Jiffy lube level mistake.

Also - they should offer to flatbed it rather than have him beat on your car for 2hrs and put more unnecessary mileage on it

As an aside, nice to see a bunch of Ontario F owners
Old 12-02-16, 07:31 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
There's an old saying in private aviation: "there are 2 kinds of pilots: those who have made a landing with the gear up, and those who haven't... yet".
There is no such thing as "we would never make that mistake, because XYZ". Surgeons leave sponges and retractors inside patients every day.
Leaving off the filler cap is the much smaller sibling of the more common and fatal problems:
1. Forgetting to replace the drain plug before adding oil
2. Forgetting to add oil after draining
3. Forgetting to install the new filter

What does the shop do in 1., 2., or 3. when caught?
They lie. They're not going to buy you a new engine.
not if there is proof like an invoice from a Lexus dealership that the tech put in 6 litres of oil instead of ~9.5 that F takes. I know a person that that happened. He developed engine issues within first 100km. After checking his invoice and raising hell at service mngr. Office, they replaced $8k worth of parts that even him doesn't know what exactly. Everything off the books with a rental for 2 weeks. So far no more problems.
I have 2 dashcams when I take mine for oil changes and it payed for them selfs already with proof of their shortcuts.
Old 12-02-16, 07:33 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Take this as a lesson guys...if you must get something done at the dealership...always, always double check it before you leave the lot.

Walk around the car, before you leave the lot.

In my younger days I would, while under warranty, always take my car in for oil changes to make sure it was documented, etc.

One time, I had a tech forget to put OIL back in a little 4 Cylinder Scion TC 5speed that I had. I watched him start it up, back it off the lift, go outside, park it and shut it off.

Service writer came in, said "you are good to go!" I grabbed my keys, popped the hood, checked the oil level....nothing on the stick.

Walked back in, said we have a problem....

I made them put oil in it, pull it back into the shop...and redo the whole oil change right infront of me while I watched.

The Tech was mortified.
Old 12-02-16, 08:40 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Being cheap, I used to take my IS300 to Firestone for service. They would always F-up something....the worse being once they didn't fully install the drain plug back correctly and the first bump I hit in the road ALL OF MY OIL CAME SPILLING OUT!!! Pulled into a gas station and I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Oil light came on and as I idled there, the car **** off (guess a safety/protection circuit in place when the engine is low on oil to prevent self destruction).
I had to get the car towed to Firestone down the road and they gave me an oil change plus another free one. They didn't pay for the tow though...but I didn't fight it because insurance cover it 100% anyhow.
Things like that are impossible to see/check after getting your car serviced.
That's my horror story told for the day, lol. First one will never touch the F...those guys just don't take pride in their service/work. I could literally write a book about the negative visits I have with 3 different Firestones over the past 10 years!

V.
Old 12-02-16, 11:03 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

He knew something was off after that 100km, there was unbelivible loud metal noise coming from the driver side under engine , car sounded like a 20 year old diesel with 500k km on it, no joke. He called them up, everything recorded that customer complains about engine noise after an oil change etc. He brought it over and yes, mechanics were trying to hide the issue etc. After going over his original invoice it was discovered that they actually pour in 6 litres of oil, he was charge for 6 litres of oil also. When confronted, they said that they had some left over oil on the shelf that they added. Yes, lexus dealership was so generous they gave him 3.5 litres of oil for free!!! Bunch of B.S. , meanwhile service advisor admited that he thought that isf takes 6 litres etc and that's where service mngr got involved and the rest is a history. They pony up $8k in parts and labour even though his car still has powertrain warranty, they said there is to much paperwork to put that thru warranty lol, they knew they f..ed up big time with paper trail, they had to own it.
Old 12-03-16, 09:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,324 Posts

My ISF hasn't been to the dealer for anything but warranty. My GSF will never be at the dealer for anything but warranty. I subscribe to TIS, and I do all work on my cars myself. At least that way, if it gets all whacked I know for sure who did it and precisely what was done to cause it.

Warranty? $8k in repairs for an engine that costs $27k from Lexus knowing full well the rod bearings are completely useless? Nope. Not buying it and would accept nothing less than a full engine replacement for such an egregious error. What does this clearly say? "I'm sorry Mr. Customer, I am an idiot who failed to open the service manual so I could properly service your vehicle." This is no different than the moron who replaced my coolant pump, under warranty, and failed to clean the engine undercover. I called them and said "I have coolant all over the engine undercover and I can't be sure it is not still leaking. I am about to drive 12 hours to South Florida, and I am not confident your repairs were done properly." I have very little respect for dealership wrenches. They are too concerned about logging 80 hours in a 40 hour week for my taste. Shortcuts are their norm, and quality work is not on the schedule. Never again...