IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Servicing ISF at toyota Dealershp

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-16, 02:20 PM
berny87
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing ISF at toyota Dealershp

Hi, I am new to the forum and I brought a white 2008 ISF (69k KM) back in May. I was wondering if all of you take your car in for service at Lexus all the time or if anyone would take it to Toyota for a serving?
The previous owner took it to lexus for servicing everytime.
I would love to hear your thoughts.
I called my Toyota dealership and they said they can basically do what lexus does at 1/3 the price.
Old 11-25-16, 02:45 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

I've taken my GS350 and GX460 to Toyota dealerships for services (oil and fluids) without issues. 1/3 of the price seems very cheap but if you can get that, that's great.
Old 11-25-16, 02:52 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Some have good experiences with it but make sure they actually know what they are doing. Tried about 2 weeks ago to get an alignment and they put an is350 f sport alignment on it instead of an isf alignment, among other screw ups. This can be put on that particular dealership not having a great reputation but still make sure they know what they're doing before letting them work on it.
Old 11-25-16, 03:06 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Took my IS300 to the local Toyota dealership all the time, no problems. Got my F and all of sudden they are scared of it haha told me it was too low to get on their racks although I'm on stock height. But agreed their service is close to the same at a much lower price.
Old 11-25-16, 03:25 PM
berny87
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. Seems a little hit or miss with the dealerships.
Is there a specifications sheet I can bring in for them to do the servicing?
Or would they have lexus specifications at the Toyota dealership?
If there aren't any specs, they would just randomly "service" the car right?
Old 11-25-16, 03:31 PM
Jmt1011
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
Some have good experiences with it but make sure they actually know what they are doing. Tried about 2 weeks ago to get an alignment and they put an is350 f sport alignment on it instead of an isf alignment, among other screw ups. This can be put on that particular dealership not having a great reputation but still make sure they know what they're doing before letting them work on it.
Lol what is the difference between a Fsport alignment and a F one?😂 Better run far away from that dealership!
Old 11-25-16, 03:35 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmt1011
Lol what is the difference between a Fsport alignment and a F one?😂 Better run far away from that dealership!
no idea but it said 350 f-sport on the sheet and the specs were way off of F spec sheets
Old 11-25-16, 05:22 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been getting my RC F serviced at a Toyota dealership. I'm out in the sticks of North Carolina on a contract and the nearest Lexus dealer is in Raleigh which is over an hour away. The local Toyota dealership here has done great work and it's reasonably priced. They likely employ some of the best technicians in the area since it's not like there's a lot of options out here.

But if I were in the city I'd probably go to my Lexus dealer.

I have to drive 90 minutes on Wednesday just to get my exhaust done since none of the exhaust shops in the area want to mess with the electronics on a Lexus (it has electric valves).
Old 11-25-16, 09:41 PM
N2LEX2L
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
I've been getting my RC F serviced at a Toyota dealership. I'm out in the sticks of North Carolina on a contract and the nearest Lexus dealer in Raleigh which is over an hour away. The local Toyota dealership here has done great work and it's reasonably priced. They likely employ some of the best technicians in the area since it's not like there's a lot of options out here.

But if I were in the city I'd probably go to my Lexus dealer.

I have to drive 90 minutes on Wednesday just to get my exhaust done since none of the exhaust shops in the area want to mess with the electronics on a Lexus (it has electric valves).
If you are choosing between either Johnson Lexus, Raleigh or Durham, I have had a far better experience at Johnson Lexus of Durham.
Old 11-26-16, 02:54 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

It depends on what you are having done. I had an oil change and battery done at Toyota and they did fine (actually better than my Lexus dealer) and it shows up in my Lexus driver history. If it were more serious, F-specific work, I'd strongly recommend considering the dealer or a specialized F mechanic.
Old 11-26-16, 07:25 AM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

A Toyota is a Toyota, even if they call it a Lexus. There is nothing special about working on an IS F. I'm a huge fan of doing as much work on these cars as I can and doing it on my own. With the help of this web site, I've run into almost nothing that I cannot do myself.

I bought my car from a Toyota dealer with 6500 miles on it and I'm pretty sure they re-did the alignment (they said they did anyway) to their specifications, not the IS F specs, because the insides edges of the front tires were showing wear. In stalled the Figs lower control arm bushings myself and left the alignment alone. Tires look great at 20,000 miles. Alignment is not magic and is subject to experimentation.

Dealing with my local Lexus dealer has not been very good. They doubt my ability to do anything myself and anything I tell them that should be covered under warranty they will require the car be examined by their technicians. even then they require a second examination.

The local Toyota dealer is just the opposite. If it is a maintenance part they usually have it on hand and even offer suggestions on the installation. Very nice parts people and at reasonable prices. I would have them service my car anytime.

Be really lucky that you don't own a Mercedes or a BMW. Good luck if you do. I'll never own another.
Old 11-26-16, 01:23 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by N2LEX2L
If you are choosing between either Johnson Lexus, Raleigh or Durham, I have had a far better experience at Johnson Lexus of Durham.
I actually tried sending the service department at Johnson Lexus of Raleigh an email about getting my aftermarket exhaust installed, since they are closer to me. They never even replied. Based on that experience I will not use them from now on. I mean they can't even reply? What a joke. If I really need to go to a Lexus dealership while I'm here in NC then I will make the extra ~30 minute trip to Durham (I'm near the coast).

As for my feelings about using Toyota vs Lexus in a major city; Lexus charges more therefore it's reasonable to assume that they pay their techs more. That leads me to the final conclusion that they have better techs. That may not be the case, but when there's nothing else to go on how do you decide?

I am fairly sure of one thing though. When you work on your own vehicle you will learn the ins and outs of your vehicle. So taking your car to a place where they routinely work on your exact car is less likely to result in a mistake due to their familiarity with it. When a vehicle is as rare as the F, many Toyota dealerships may have never even had one in their shop before. Any fool should be able to change the oil, but if I needed transmission or engine work I would only take it to Lexus.
Old 11-26-16, 05:01 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

All that is true^^^. MOST of the time, whenever someone is paid more to do their job, they do it better than someone who is paid less... almost human nature...lesser pay makes some people pay less attention, not care as much, rtc etc etc...almost like they have nothing or very little to lose if the ****** up.
On another note, I use Johnson Lexus of Raleigh for oil changes, car washes, etc...they've done a decent job...really no real complaints. They treat me well too...I've gotten back scene, tours of the place to....garage area is huge and the techs def have their ***** together...very clean and professional looking/feeling environment in every area of the place, not just where the customers see. If you guys are ever there, ask to see the garage area and see how those techs are working... Def made me feel comfortable with my car in their hands.
Toyota dealership is not close to thw same environment....but def not complaining about their service either.

V.
Old 11-28-16, 05:37 PM
berny87
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice everyone.
It looks a bit hit or miss in terms of the dealerships and boils down to whether they are familiar with servicing an ISF.

For the knowledgeable people out there, is servicing an ISF that much different from servicing a is250?
Probably quite similar for a normal service.
But quite different for the "major services" you think?