IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New GSF owner, need winter tires advice from ISF owners

Old 11-14-16, 04:20 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New GSF owner, need winter tires advice from ISF owners

Hey guys, just pulled the trigger on a GSF. I live in NY and this will be my daily. I searched and found a lot of you guys got Blizzaks tire/wheel combo off of Tire Rack. I do not see they have anything available for the GSF yet though. Wanted some input from you guys on whats the best route to go?

1) 18 or 19 inch wheels? Will 18's clear the brembos?
2) What kind of Blizzaks to go with? i see a bunch of different ones and really have no idea where to begin.
3) Michelin Ice-X tires vs Blizzaks, are the michelin's any better in the snow/ice?
4) anyone know if i base my choice off Tire Rack for the ISF that it will translate and fit a GSF?
5) Can i realistically drive a 467hp rwd sports car in the snow with the proper setup? LOL

Thanks guys.
Old 11-14-16, 05:00 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm running Michelin x ice on my stock 19s 245/40/19 all around slightly taller I'm lowered so I need the ground clearance , and so I don't snow plow for the city in my early morning commute. I had Blizzaks before but find the new xice 3 are very good in snow/ice driving . Since you're from ny give ravspec a shout they have experience dealing with us Lexus guys. Remember narrower width cuts through snow and slush much better then a wider setup. So if you opt for aftermarket wheel setup get a square setup. If you want to look at sizes on tire rack then yes select the 2012-up Isf as that year had slightly wider width wheels then 08-11
Old 11-15-16, 02:54 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^^^^Ditto I've run the Nokian Hakkepalittas before and they are hands down the best out there! I wouldn't run another snow tire if I had to make a choice
Old 11-15-16, 04:34 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, Ive read some reviews about the Nokian's. Are you guys using studded tires or non studded? I asked someone about studded tires today and they said that studded tires make a lot of noise due to the nails in them i guess?

Any truth to this?
Old 11-15-16, 06:27 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

The studded tires will be much louder... i've owned both... so unless you live in alaska.. a good winter tire will be more than enough and will be quiet. I run bridgestone ws-70/80s on my cars, but have also driven on the nokian hakkas. Not an F owner, but just figuired i'd chime in.. i'm from canada the land of ice and snow if that helps haha.
Old 11-15-16, 10:21 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

i have a set of wheels and tires from tire rack, i use 18 inch enkei wheels with a 40+ with blizzak ws80 225/45/18 all around and my isf works great in the snow. hope that helps

Last edited by blackisF08; 11-15-16 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-16-16, 06:10 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No need to stud your tires unless you plan to do some ice racing , it would be good only in conditions where the roads are iced up other then that they will wear out quickly on plowed roads. If i lived in mountain terrain then id consider it . You will be surprised how well this car goes in snow with proper set of tires, Awd is overated lol . With snow mode power is reduced to half it seems when you take off, as its from 2nd gear on the isF.
Old 11-16-16, 07:08 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by shivad87
Hey guys, just pulled the trigger on a GSF. I live in NY and this will be my daily. I searched and found a lot of you guys got Blizzaks tire/wheel combo off of Tire Rack. I do not see they have anything available for the GSF yet though. Wanted some input from you guys on whats the best route to go?

2) What kind of Blizzaks to go with? i see a bunch of different ones and really have no idea where to begin.
3) Michelin Ice-X tires vs Blizzaks, are the michelin's any better in the snow/ice?
4) anyone know if i base my choice off Tire Rack for the ISF that it will translate and fit a GSF?
5) Can i realistically drive a 467hp rwd sports car in the snow with the proper setup? LOL

Thanks guys.
I have 18" winter wheels with Blizzaks (LM-25?) on my ISF. The Blizzaks are ok but I wouldn't buy them again. They actually came with the car when I bought it. Personally I prefer Michelin's. I used mostly Pilot Alpins but I recently got the new X-ICE and they are working out quite well. My cars have always been RWD fairly high horsepower machines (GS400, old supras, cressidas, older Muscle cars etc.) Over the years I have tried many winter tire brands including other Blizzaks, Nokia's, Continentals, Goodyears and still prefer the Michelins. The Blizzaks are good but they just don't last. They feel great for about a season and a half. After that they are pretty much done. I can get three seasons or more out of a set of Michelins.

As far as driving a 467hp car in winter just remember that safe winter driving is more about the driver than it is the car. Just like you don't use all of your 400+ HP going through a school zone, you wont be using all of that power driving down a snow covered road (unless you want to have some fun...). Make sure you understand what your car will did when you hit the gas and learn to control the car more with the throttle than with the brakes and you will be alright. I only drove my ISF one winter mostly because I had to lend out my regular winter driver (1998 GS400) to a family member. The F is not any more difficult to drive than the GS400. The "Snow Mode" really does help if you feel the need to use it.
Old 11-16-16, 06:40 PM
Jermstn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As mentioned above, its not the car, its the driver. Ive winter driven/daily driven my previous ISF and current ISF for 4 years this winter. I live in Alberta, Canada where its not abnormal to see -40C (close to -40F for you anti-Trumps lol) and an average of up to 5 feet of snow annually. Ive ran Blizzak LM60's the past few winters and I love them, although they wear incredibly fast. Just remember to be weary of the throttle, take some time in an open space thats safe for you and the public to fool around with Traction Control etc...you learn very quickly what is and isn't safe. If I had the size option Id hands down buy the latest Kumho KW...the winter rally drivers here love them.
Old 11-17-16, 09:02 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks guys.

I have blizzak WS80 square set drop down to 225/45/18 they clear calipers with no problem. I to live in NY, Westchester County, remember narrower tire's will give you better traction in the snow. I'm not stock I have I/H/E so i have additional hp/tq and have No issues. For me it's only about 3 months that have to worry about snow WS80 should be more than adequate for someone driving in New York state.

Last edited by Weapon F; 11-18-16 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-18-16, 05:53 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like others said, the car is capable of handling winter driving. The VSC system does a great job of detecting jaw, and applying brakes on the wheel needed to keep the car straight. The TRAC does a good job at finding traction, combined with throttle cut, it will find the traction it needs to get the car moving. SNOW mode does a good job of keeping the engine lugged down, and spacing out the throttle mapping to allow better feathering of the throttle. SNOW mode also makes the transmission less prone to downshifting on the highway, to prevent any wheel spin due to the downshift.
You should practise turning off the traction control.. there will be situations when you need to turn it off completely (hold 5 sec) to "power out" of a stuck situation.
Old 11-20-16, 08:05 AM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Weapon F
I have blizzak WS80 square set drop down to 225/45/18 they clear calipers with no problem. I to live in NY, Westchester County, remember narrower tire's will give you better traction in the snow. I'm not stock I have I/H/E so i have additional hp/tq and have No issues. For me it's only about 3 months that have to worry about snow WS80 should be more than adequate for someone driving in New York state.
Thanks everyone or the very helpful feedback! right now Ive narrowed it down to Michelin Ice-X or Bizzak WS80's. Would love to go with 18s but having trouble finding wheels to clear the calipers. So i may just throw on the 19 Inch Niche Misanos i have sitting in my garage. They're a little on the wide side, 8.5 up front and 9.5 in the rear so i don't know how narrow i can go with the tires without it being stretched. So I have to figure that out... if anyone could chime in about that I would appreciate it.

Thanks again guys!!

Weapon F we should do an F meet up with other members in NY would love you hear your car with the headers and exhaust.
Old 11-27-16, 04:42 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone or the very helpful feedback! right now Ive narrowed it down to Michelin Ice-X or Bizzak WS80's. Would love to go with 18s but having trouble finding wheels to clear the calipers. So i may just throw on the 19 Inch Niche Misanos i have sitting in my garage. They're a little on the wide side, 8.5 up front and 9.5 in the rear so i don't know how narrow i can go with the tires without it being stretched. So I have to figure that out... if anyone could chime in about that I would appreciate it.

Thanks again guys!!

Weapon F we should do an F meet up with other members in NY would love you hear your car with the headers and exhaust.
I run Nokian happilatta studded tires I am on my third winter and the studs are still good, worn but not worn out. I have 19x8 19x9 and I run a square tire set up of 235/40 all around. You really have to look closely to figure out which is the 8" and which is the 9" when they are off the car and it dosent look at all stretched. I wouldn't go any narrower than that on a 9.5" 245mm might even fit a bit nicer. After each winter I measure the tread and if they need it i take them in and have them rotated in three years I have only rotated them once front to back and the insides swapped to the outside and right now all four are even tread wear with no camber wear either.

Last edited by Sylvan; 11-27-16 at 04:49 PM.