IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Help! Wheel lug stud loosened?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 02:23 AM
sectorz33
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Wheel lug stud loosened?

hi all, I need help recently drove from the mechanics and the had one of the studs on my car literally came off clean! And the lug nut was down the street on the floor. The upon looking for the stud we found it inside the disc brakes hub. When I brought it back to the shop immediately we found one of the stud missing and the rest of the stud loose to a point you can literally push the studs through the hub. We installed air suspension in and we were adjusting the preset heigh up and down couple of times before I drove off. Can anyone explain how this is even possible? I thought these lug studs are heavily torqued into the hub. How did all the rest of the 4 studs got loosen? that got me and my mechanic very confused of how that would even be possible. We retorqued all 5 studs into place and it's not as loose as it was before, but just trying to understand what happened.
Old 11-13-16, 04:25 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Have you ever drove with the lug nuts loose? Do you have aftermarket wheels? Hubcentric rings?
Old 11-13-16, 04:29 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

The studs are pressed in - I have never heard of them coming loose. Good news is New studs are cheap.

Are they the stock studs?
Old 11-13-16, 10:09 AM
sectorz33
Driver

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Have you ever drove with the lug nuts loose? Do you have aftermarket wheels? Hubcentric rings?
i have a Vossen cv3 and don't think it needs a hub centric ring? The only thing is that we probably didn't torque it.. Is it possible that loose lug nuts can loosen the stud bolt like that? I didn't even get a 1/4 mile before hearing noise and realize one stud is missing and when we jacked the car to take the wheel off the are four we're loose and was able to be pushed the other side!
Old 11-13-16, 10:23 AM
sectorz33
Driver

Originally Posted by Vervish
The studs are pressed in - I have never heard of them coming loose. Good news is New studs are cheap.

Are they the stock studs?
they are stock studs. Never in my life studs got loosen.
Old 11-13-16, 02:15 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

And still never.

Your stud didn't got loosen. Your stud got broken.
Old 11-13-16, 04:39 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Were they over torqued with an impact?

Unless your vossens are custom fit for our hubs you'll need hub centric rings.
Old 11-13-16, 05:09 PM
sectorz33
Driver

Originally Posted by tas02
And still never.

Your stud didn't got loosen. Your stud got broken.
I checked all five studs in are broken, took it to a tire shop and they popped the studs out applied lock tight and everything went back on. Hopefully that doesn't happen again..
Old 11-14-16, 07:36 AM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I would definitely recommend investing in hub centeric rings with the Vossen wheels as they were not designed specifically for a IS-F the hub diameter is likely oversize. Also I would recommend make sure to check the wheels with a torque wrench.
Old 11-15-16, 06:10 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

My theory is that because the wheels are not hubcentric, the lugs are doing most of the work. If there is any play with the lugs(loose) then the wheel will move in and out, up and down. this can cause the lug to be pushed back through the hub. This is only my theory though. Did you ever have any vibration with your wheels? Either that or the shop did something to them.
Old 11-15-16, 12:59 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sectorz33
I checked all five studs in are broken, took it to a tire shop and they popped the studs out applied lock tight and everything went back on. Hopefully that doesn't happen again..
I have never seen something like this before but if you need locktite to keep you studs in place versus the press fit there might be an issue with the stud e or hub hole diameter.

My theory is that because the wheels are not hubcentric, the lugs are doing most of the work. If there is any play with the lugs(loose) then the wheel will move in and out, up and down. this can cause the lug to be pushed back through the hub. This is only my theory though. Did you ever have any vibration with your wheels? Either that or the shop did something to them.
Many people think this, but it is a myth that hubcentric rings help with the load on the tire. The friction fit between the wheel and the hub from the tightening torque on the bolts is the only thing that holds the wheel in place. Once the torque on the bolts is eliminated the wheel rests on the studs and wobbles and will eventually break the studs. The only point of the hubcentric ring is simply to aid in mounting, although this is minimized with tapered wheel lugs. I have never heard of studs getting loose until they actually fall out, this seems like a rare situation.
The following users liked this post:
ptthere (03-17-22)
Old 11-15-16, 04:13 PM
sectorz33
Driver

no vibration of the wheel ever but I will look into a hubcentric ring though
Old 11-15-16, 04:15 PM
sectorz33
Driver

Originally Posted by Piston1047
I have never seen something like this before but if you need locktite to keep you studs in place versus the press fit there might be an issue with the stud e or hub hole diameter.

Many people think this, but it is a myth that hubcentric rings help with the load on the tire. The friction fit between the wheel and the hub from the tightening torque on the bolts is the only thing that holds the wheel in place. Once the torque on the bolts is eliminated the wheel rests on the studs and wobbles and will eventually break the studs. The only point of the hubcentric ring is simply to aid in mounting, although this is minimized with tapered wheel lugs. I have never heard of studs getting loose until they actually fall out, this seems like a rare situation.
very rare indeed, I think lifting it up and down to adjust height without torquing it was the problem, and when we were done we possibly forgot to torque the wheel.
Old 11-15-16, 04:46 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

What are the torque specs of the lug nuts?
Old 11-15-16, 08:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

What are the torque specs of the lug nuts?
76 lb-ft for the vast majority of Toyota and Lexus products.

Quick Reply: Help! Wheel lug stud loosened?