IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

What part to replace to get rid of drone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 07:58 AM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What part to replace to get rid of drone?

I have sikky headers, a borla exhaust, and no cats; what part is causing the drone because I seriously want to get rid of it fully, 1,900-2,300rpms is nearly all booming drone sound and I think after driving with this setup for a year I need a change. Any help figuring out how to fix it would be great. If possible, I want to keep the headers. Thanks again for any replies
Old 11-09-16, 08:07 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have full borla with stock headers, no drone. Are you sure your borla has the resonators installed? I know you have sikky headers but I don't rember anyone complaining about a drone with catback borla on isf.
Old 11-09-16, 08:38 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I have PPE headers and Borla and the drone is pretty bad for my ears. The drone wasn't nearly that bad with the stock manifolds, so it's the headers and no cats that really amplify the drone!

Maybe it's just my age too, but I can't stand the drone anymore either and I will make some changes to my exhaust to try and cancel out those frequencies between 1,900 - 2,600 rpm for me.

I'm probably going to start with HF cats, probably GESI and see how that affects the drone/sound?
Old 11-09-16, 09:08 AM
Eedo123
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's what I read to, the high flow cats might help a bit; and ya, my resonators I think are gone, I might end up putting back the stock exhaust and put the cats back as well but just keep the headers and get the tune as well. I want to keep some power but I really want to be high in the rev range sometimes, only thing holding me back is the drone and how loud my exhaust gets in the high rev range. By the way, the car was bought used with all the exhaust work done from the previous owner, and it's really well done work, but I just want to be able to really go full throttle more of the time without causing too much attention.
Old 11-09-16, 09:18 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I have PPE headers and Borla and the drone is pretty bad for my ears. The drone wasn't nearly that bad with the stock manifolds, so it's the headers and no cats that really amplify the drone!

Maybe it's just my age too, but I can't stand the drone anymore either and I will make some changes to my exhaust to try and cancel out those frequencies between 1,900 - 2,600 rpm for me.

I'm probably going to start with HF cats, probably GESI and see how that affects the drone/sound?
I also have a Borla and plan to get PPE headers with hi-flow cats.. RR Racing now has their own fabricator & I was recently chatting with him & Rafi about potentially installing some helmholtz resonators as well. When I visit their new shop, we'll see if there's sufficient space for them & perhaps test several lengths to determine what's optimal for cancelling out drone. If that works out, I'll share the results & details.

-Mike
Old 11-09-16, 10:12 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Perhaps use sound deadening material. I have that on order and will use the material in the trunk and rear seat area. We'll see if it helps keeping most of the resonance out the cabin. I too have the Borla catback but on stock manifolds.
Old 11-09-16, 10:27 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mahcah
Perhaps use sound deadening material. I have that on order and will use the material in the trunk and rear seat area. We'll see if it helps keeping most of the resonance out the cabin. I too have the Borla catback but on stock manifolds.
I've tried that. Doesn't work. You need to cancel the drone with some side branch resonators.
Old 11-09-16, 10:31 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Your best bet would be altering the mufflers and/or adding resonators. If you have a good welder in your area have him make a twin loop system muffler or side branch resonator like the icode.

Name:  HKSSSMLeftSide.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  79.7 KB

Last edited by Diesel350; 11-09-16 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-09-16, 10:53 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ap2s2k
I have full borla with stock headers, no drone. Are you sure your borla has the resonators installed? I know you have sikky headers but I don't rember anyone complaining about a drone with catback borla on isf.
I ONLY have the borla catback with stock manifold and it certainly drones...
Old 11-09-16, 11:06 AM
ISFMichael
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to be a lot of different opinions on drone with the cat back systems on our cars. Some people with the borla say it's bad while others say it's not. I am getting my borla cat back installed this Saturday. I'm leaving the stock manifold. Will chime in with my opinion then.
Old 11-09-16, 11:21 AM
ap2s2k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kiryu
I ONLY have the borla catback with stock manifold and it certainly drones...
Sorry I meant header back (full exhaust), no drone. If you have just the rear section of borla there is a lot of reports of drone even with stock manifolds.
Old 11-09-16, 11:30 AM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I had a terrible drone around 2K after installing PPE "regular" headers and their exhaust, even with high flow cats. Switching to PPE long tube equal length headers and removing the cats made the drone disappear.

I had previously considered have some Helmholz chambers installed. I recall reading a CL thread linked to a discussion on a Mustang site that went into detail about how to size these for a particular rpm.
Old 11-09-16, 12:18 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^This

Lou
Old 11-09-16, 01:36 PM
mahcah
Racer

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I've tried that. Doesn't work. You need to cancel the drone with some side branch resonators.
No difference at all? What material did you use? How much space did you treat with sound dampening?
Old 11-09-16, 01:39 PM
mahcah
Racer

IMO my drone is minimal. It's bearable. Anyone know if the Bazooka pipes reduce drone?

Quick Reply: What part to replace to get rid of drone?