IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 06:48 PM
BJM2014
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ Today

Just had these installed today. Vancouver gets alot of rain like Seattle, so these are what they call high performance all season tires, and a good comprise between summer only and pure snow tires. Street legal for insurance if we do get a trace of snow. Had the AS3's before and only got about 30K or about 19000 miles so hoping the new + model last longer.
Old 11-01-16, 08:07 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BJM2014
Just had these installed today. Vancouver gets alot of rain like Seattle, so these are what they call high performance all season tires, and a good comprise between summer only and pure snow tires. Street legal for insurance if we do get a trace of snow. Had the AS3's before and only got about 30K or about 19000 miles so hoping the new + model last longer.
front or rears?
Old 11-01-16, 09:05 PM
BJM2014
Pit Crew

Replaced the Rears, Fronts are ok....
Old 11-02-16, 04:49 AM
silverspot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at these tires , did they seem to make any excessive road noise.
Old 11-02-16, 06:23 AM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

I have these tires installed for about 1500km , they were so noisey at first but have become more quiet, but the grip is really good for an all season in the dry and wet. Hit some black ice the other day going up a hill and it spun the back wheels lost grip and scared the hell out of me, luckily I corrected it and saved my car.
Old 11-02-16, 06:50 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How were the previous A/S3 in the snow?? I also looked at these and the conti extremecont dws 06. Also are you running the 245/275 combo or stock sizes?
Old 11-02-16, 10:11 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I was looking at these but ultimately choose the BFG G-Force Comp 2 - A/S... They were a couple of hundred cheaper and were number 2 compared to number 1 with the MPS A/S3's... I'll let everyone know how they work on the roads in the mountains.
Old 11-02-16, 10:26 AM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
How were the previous A/S3 in the snow?? I also looked at these and the conti extremecont dws 06. Also are you running the 245/275 combo or stock sizes?
im running that setup but don't have the old ones to compare with , should be getting snow soon so will keep you guys posted on the grip and handling.
Old 11-02-16, 07:55 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I had the old A/S3s for about 17,000 miles. For an all season, they had very good dry traction (1 HPDE too!) and good wet traction. They were good in the snow. This was true for about 12,000 miles. After that, they were pure crap, even dangerous.
I now have the Conti DWS06. Not as good dry traction (2 HPDES) but should have better wet and snow traction, but this will be the first winter with them.
Old 11-02-16, 08:18 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm running these in Stock sizes and agree with others; dry and wet traction are exceptional.

I also just put the a/s+ on my prius. They discontinued the a/s. Apparently the "+" equates to the added silica in the compound.
Old 11-03-16, 08:40 PM
BJM2014
Pit Crew

My wheels/tire setup is stock, no change. These are not snow tires, they are really just a way to be legal in the event we have a trickle of snow and I get caught somewhere and need to get home. If I see any snow or a hint of snow the ISF doesn't leave the garage, our Nissan X-Terra 4x4 is available for that....
Old 11-04-16, 08:48 PM
FWizard
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by InfamousF
im running that setup but don't have the old ones to compare with , should be getting snow soon so will keep you guys posted on the grip and handling.
Do you plan to just run these A/S 3+ in the winter?

I just got these tires too, they are decently priced and fair well in tire rack comparisons. However, I would never use them for full on Canadian winters.
Old 11-05-16, 09:20 AM
silverspot
Driver School Candidate

I am a Tire Dealer in Florida. At first glance, these tires looked like they would be very noisy , they also look like they would be susceptible to cupping. One of my guys ordered a set for a customers newer Volvo SUV last week. I was looking at them on the car and just thought they may be a bit aggressive for our climate in Florida. I saw the treadwear rating was very high. I just wanted to here some responses from people who have actually run these tires. Feedback from real-time users is the best info ever. Thanks
Old 11-05-16, 10:15 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

See my response above. I honestly have never paid attention to road noise on tires (covered by the loud exhaust). I ran the A/S3 (no plus) for about 17,000 miles on my ISF and the same mileage on my 2002 IS300. Keeping in mind these are an all season tire, I think these are a good compromise, definitely for Florida and areas with little snow. I live in Ohio and we get decent amounts of snow but it does vary each year. These tires did really well in my first winter but not as good as dedicated winter tires (had those for many years). After about 15,000 miles the tires had very little wet traction which made them useless in the winter. I was not happy getting stuck even in an inch of snow. So overall a good tire for the first 15,000 miles (despite the treadwear rating!) I got the same mileage out of the tires on the IS300 which is a DD.
Cupping was never an issue for me and I beat these tires into the ground even with 1 HPDE (and boy do they squeal on the track! (video on youtube)...lol).
In the Spring, I got the A/S3+ for the IS300 (now daughter's car) and the Conti DWS06 for the ISF. Not tested in winter yet. But my impression from daily driving and 2 HPDEs is the Conti gives up some dry traction and gains some wet traction compared to the A/S3. I thought the A/S3+ was Michelin's answer to improved wet traction.
In the end, after these wear out, I am going to go back to 2 sets of tires for the summer and winter. I want better dry traction since I seem addicted to tracking the car and I use it as a daily, even in winter.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-16, 07:22 PM
InfamousF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FWizard
Do you plan to just run these A/S 3+ in the winter?

I just got these tires too, they are decently priced and fair well in tire rack comparisons. However, I would never use them for full on Canadian winters.
tested these out when it snowed and they are above my expectations on light snow/ice. I know it won't as good as a dedicated winter but I'm only doing city driving on plowed streets. Just have to be more cautious but IMO it's doable.

Quick Reply: New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3+ Today