IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New ISF owner in VA/MD area. Couple noob questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 12:24 PM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts
Default New ISF owner in VA/MD area. Hello!

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself as I have picked up an 08 Mercury Metallic ISF with the ML audio and nav this weekend. Pristine shape with 29k miles, original owner bought serviced and traded it into the same MD dealer and they offered me a great price. Loving the V8 and it's my 23rd car! I learned to drive on an SC300 and IS250 but have been in Infiniti game past 3 years. I had a couple noob mod questions perhaps you guys can help with?

1) Coils/Springs. I've always heard that the ride is rough on the 08-10, but the ride is surprisingly worse than even my G37 with 20" Vossens and sport suspension with Swift springs or many other sporty cars I've had. I've read that BC coils with swift springs are recommended. But I am not sure on spring rates? I've read 16/12, 14/10, and even 14/12 may work for me. I am not looking for track setup, simply to go maybe an inch lower and more importantly to improve the ride without costing any handling. The ride itself is smoother than G but when it hits something, anything, it is quite violent. Best place to buy these or another brand recommendation under $1500? I originally wanted springs but the reviews I've read seem quite opposite of each other with some improvement and some even worse ride after couple months.
EDIT: Went with BC Racing with Swift springs 14/10. Very happy and have it set to 20/25 from full stiff. Makes for a great daily!

2) Exhaust. I am looking for a slightly louder/meaner system, but with no/minimal drone. I've been recommended Joe z and Borla catback, though Borla axleback is also an option. I am sadly in a county that does emissions and tests for it via sniffer system as well, so something emissions friendly is a big plus. Have not heard either system in person yet..Will very much be a DD/highway warrior so want something with some bark/v8 noise but not bad for long distance cruising.
EDIT: Went with Borla catback. Pretty happy, it's loud enough for me but not overly attention grabbing. Neighbors don't hate me. Slight drone around town inside when at 1800-2500 rpm, but luckily I am mostly on highway.

3) Front lips and diffusers. I have seen a couple on ebay, and while I haven't had fitment issues with ebay lips on my miata/wrx/g35, I have no experience with the ISF ones. Is this a good one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252464060520?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true Any state-side vendor recommendation to buy diffusers? Don't want CF for either as I would likely scratch it anyways. Baltimore roads aren't friendly.
EDIT: Went with ebay front lip(bayson) and diffuser. Front lip fits very well and protects the front quite a bit, rear diffuser was a little tough to install but with paint and cost I am at $350, compared to much pricier options. Never a fan of CF anyways

4) Bluetooth audio streaming. The 08 doesn't have it, and feels like a 1st world problem but it's the biggest thing I dislike about the car so far. Recommendations? Have read about blackberry streaming devices and have seen a number on amazon but they require recharging. At least as of yet, I have yet to see one that can just plug in and always be on.
EDIT: Fixed with blackberry gateway bought off a CL member.

5) Any local clubs or people in DC/MD/VA area? Coming from the Infiniti world there seems to be quite a few pages on FB and local clubs, but I have only found MDLex and Lexus ISF/350 freaks page and not too many active local members on either.

Looking forward to modding a new platform and meeting some new people in this community!
Attached Thumbnails New ISF owner in VA/MD area. Couple noob questions :)-14906929_717226501537_7156939327556493950_n.jpg   New ISF owner in VA/MD area. Couple noob questions :)-img_6042.jpg  

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 03-01-17 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Found answers to all my questions.
Old 10-31-16, 12:38 PM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

welcome and congrats, just meet up with your local F members and hear and see what u like or sitting in their cars, if u lucky they let u drive it that how u can decide :P
Old 10-31-16, 12:59 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Bluetooth streaming I use the GROM USB-3. Plug and play.
Old 10-31-16, 02:27 PM
ATXChris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome aboard! I just picked up my F last week, and this is a great bunch of people.

Nice looking ride - great to find one with such low mileage.

For springs, I have Swift all around my 11, and find it harsher than stock. The car did come with adjustable shocks, and they just may be set way to firm. I should figure that out this weekend.

The Joe Z exhaust is loud when you want it to be, with only a little drone at speed. Volume is controlled by your left foot, so if you're easy on the pedal, it is easy on the ears.

I'm sure you'll find some owners in your area - we seem to be evenly spread.
Old 10-31-16, 07:44 PM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXChris
Welcome aboard! I just picked up my F last week, and this is a great bunch of people.

Nice looking ride - great to find one with such low mileage.

For springs, I have Swift all around my 11, and find it harsher than stock. The car did come with adjustable shocks, and they just may be set way to firm. I should figure that out this weekend.

The Joe Z exhaust is loud when you want it to be, with only a little drone at speed. Volume is controlled by your left foot, so if you're easy on the pedal, it is easy on the ears.

I'm sure you'll find some owners in your area - we seem to be evenly spread.
You use your left foot?
Old 10-31-16, 08:14 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

^^haha.

welcome aboard.
Old 10-31-16, 08:43 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can't go wrong with borla or joe-z, borla is very easy to make louder in the future with just axle-back upgrade though. Welcome to CL, enjoy the F!
Old 10-31-16, 09:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^Borla workmanship is inferior to JoeZ IMO.

Lou
Old 11-01-16, 01:07 AM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to the F'amily. The most common set up amongst the ISF owners are JoeZ Exhaust + PPE Headers. Although I still haven't had my headers installed, the JoeZ exhaust itself is worth the money already!
Old 11-01-16, 04:20 AM
ATXChris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cleethree
You use your left foot?
dangit... you know what I mean.
Old 11-01-16, 06:17 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Borla workmanship is inferior to JoeZ IMO.

Lou
Borla is the quieter, lighter and the cheaper of the two and is found on the fastest IS-F's in the country. Agree though, the JoeZ has nicer workmanship as I'm not a big fan of the slip fittings on the Borla.
Old 11-01-16, 07:11 AM
Bavarian
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the ISF Pilots

greetings from bavaria
Old 11-01-16, 07:13 AM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-14-16, 07:45 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Couple updates since I bought it about a month and a half ago/3k miles later:

- Put on a JoeZ intake along with a Tom's filter. Couldn't really tell much of a difference, maybe a little louder but several threads on here have me convinced the mild HP bump is worth it, and it adds some color to the engine bay.
-Vinyl wrapped the front bumper trim, grill, and roof in gloss black. Updates the car a bit to the newer F styling.
-Installed Bayson R lip off ebay, pretty happy with the fitment and look. Came in a satin black color which is nice as I don't have to paint it though I may in future.
-Installed Borla catback exhaust. Sounded fantastic at startup though a little loud while driving with windows down, I am sure it will settle a bit once I put some miles on it. Sadly have only put maybe a mile on it so far as I installed wheels at the same time and hub rings that came with them were incorrect.
-Updated all interior lights to LED
-Found a used Blackberry Gateway bluetooth streaming device that allows music to stream though I still have to control it through the phone. Nice to just get in and go though.
- Updated parking lights to LED. Definitely updated the look a bit as at night the blue/yellow combo really dated the car for me. Beyond a pain in the @ss to change two simple light bulbs.
(I'd still like to upgrade the headlights themselves to a modded look or the 11 or better yet the 13+, but $1300+ for used lights seems pricey to me for now. Also looking into upgrading the headlight and fog light bulbs. Not looking for a blue look, really just want to improve night time vision. Compared to my dad's 300C and my old G37 the HID's in the F seem pretty weak tbh and the fogs don't help much either.
-Installed some Weds Sports SA-15R. 19x9.5 35 and 19x10.5 45 in BLC(blue light chrome). Really love the black chrome finish and the blue trim adds a bit of color until I can paint the Brembo's. Always nice to go wider and lighter, though they are a tight fit. Really sets the car off and looks aggressive as the stock wheels are so tucked in. Nothing but compliments so far.
-Installing some BC Racing coilovers with 14/10 Swift springs. Going to try 10F/15R from full hard. Main goal is to drop front nearly an inch and improve the terrible 08 ride comfort. Pictures below are on stock suspension*
-Purchased a non-CF diffuser, tom's replica off ebay. Painting it gloss black and will install in the coming weeks. Not a fan of CF unless it's on a race car and prefer the black look tbh.

Overall really growing to like the car, not many know what it is and I've yet to see anyone in my commute or travels with one around Baltimore/DC. Acceleration seems effortless and the growl in the morning makes me smile every time. Sadly I haven't driven it in the past two weeks as my hub rings, wheels, and TPMS all seem to have either been delayed or shipped incorrectly. Excited to get it back Friday though! Just in time for the snow storm :/

Thank you all to the warm welcome and to the depth of information on the CL forum!
Attached Thumbnails New ISF owner in VA/MD area. Couple noob questions :)-img_0035-1.jpg   New ISF owner in VA/MD area. Couple noob questions :)-fullsizerender-4-1.jpg  

Last edited by LexusfanVA; 12-14-16 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-14-16, 09:06 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

You're off to a good start!

At the last meet in Rockville, ISFDave told me the funniest story about his 08 suspension that still makes me laugh to this day: he said one day he was driving and hit a raised expansion joint on the highway and the shock was so bad that it bounced him out of his seat and slammed his head into the roof!! LOL! Talk about a stiff suspension! Crazy.

Quick Reply: New ISF owner in VA/MD area. Couple noob questions :)