IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My ISF and K&N Intake Test Are On Super Street Website

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 05:35 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Pass up on that Supercharger too. That K&N will be all you need.
I think so too. Supercharger is overrated...k&n here I come!
Old 11-23-16, 05:57 PM
jspecvtec
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

He should have a local isf with headers and exhaust a car length advantage in 1/4 mile and race. Exhaust+headers are minimal gains and he has the infamous KN so that way it's a fair race. 5 runs and if he wins most I'm a believer of KN!

Last edited by jspecvtec; 11-23-16 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 07:43 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanstreak
IDOKE - I would agree with you if the Density Altitude corrections made sense. However they don't. DA on his baseline was around 1700 feet. DA with K&N was somewhere between 100 and 400 depending on actual time of the run. That difference in air Is 2.5 to 3 tenths. Corrected times and speed are almost identical meaning the intake made zero gain. Ignoring that fact is a serious oversight. I know OP said he used corrections but the math doesn't work based on the actual conditions during those runs.
it was never at 1700 ft and 100-400. Where did you arrive at that ? From the Dragtimes website that runs off an airport kind of close to the track ? I was reading off the gauges in some dudes trailer at the track.

I put my DA readings in the other thread with the pic of my timeslips. Over a 500 foot spread in DA you are less than one tenth quicker. My spread was not 1600.

Last edited by ISFSCOTT; 11-23-16 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Type o
Old 11-23-16, 07:53 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TranV
I think so too. Supercharger is overrated...k&n here I come!
Lol for sure.

Funnier is how many there are in here with supercharges ( actually probably not many here ) and exhaust that probably wouldn't even crack a low 12 at the track but as long as you all get to say you have long tube headers and exhaust and sound good then all is well. Oh and have dyno sheets and data logging capability. Forgot those things too. The other small group of us will keep testing the actual mods to our cars at the track I guess.

Happy Thanksgiving fellas and post up your times when one of you actually runs at the track with your high dollar full exhaust worth 30 - 40 at the rear tires ! What's the cost on full length exhaust anyways ?

Or even better would like to see some times of blown ISF's. I can't imagine the cost of installing a blower and tuning it on a ISF or if the return for the power and ET's is even worth it. Someone sell me on it ! Let's see all that powa ! Of course we few that actually race our cars will want to see the video, DA adjustments, list of mods, and tineslips as proof ! Until then it's all guesses and dyno queens. 👍🏻🍺

Last edited by ISFSCOTT; 11-23-16 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 08:29 PM
TranV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're absolutely right Scott!
Old 11-23-16, 10:22 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFSCOTT
Lol for sure.

Funnier is how many there are in here with supercharges ( actually probably not many here ) and exhaust that probably wouldn't even crack a low 12 at the track but as long as you all get to say you have long tube headers and exhaust and sound good then all is well. Oh and have dyno sheets and data logging capability. Forgot those things too. The other small group of us will keep testing the actual mods to our cars at the track I guess.

Happy Thanksgiving fellas and post up your times when one of you actually runs at the track with your high dollar full exhaust worth 30 - 40 at the rear tires ! What's the cost on full length exhaust anyways ?

Or even better would like to see some times of blown ISF's. I can't imagine the cost of installing a blower and tuning it on a ISF or if the return for the power and ET's is even worth it. Someone sell me on it ! Let's see all that powa ! Of course we few that actually race our cars will want to see the video, DA adjustments, list of mods, and tineslips as proof ! Until then it's all guesses and dyno queens. ������
Now now, play nice.

I'll be one of those with a supercharger soon enough, albeit on a RC F. I don't care about the cost. If I only wanted power/performance I could have bought a Hellcat or a Z06. They are both capable of running high 10's in stock form with optimum track conditions. I was actually looking at a Z06, as well as 2 other brands when I jumped into my RC F (Porsche and Jaguar). I have always needed to be different. My buddies drove Mustangs, I had to have the Camaro. The F, both IS and RC, are rare. I didn't come from money. I used to do all of my own wrenching. I still do when I have the time. But when it's cheaper to pay someone else rather than to miss time at work, you get the point.

I would like to see 1000 whp eventually. I believe it is possible on the new forged internals used on the block for the RC F. So that's one of my long term missions. As for the cost? I don't know. But the SS exhaust I'm installing next week goes for $6k from the headers back, more for titanium (You asked). I could have went worth a Borla for ~$1.5k though. The IS F is probably less since it's been out longer and there's more of them on the road.

Anyway, we should all on the same team. There's too few of us.

Last edited by Davew77; 11-23-16 at 10:27 PM. Reason: fat fingered
Old 11-23-16, 10:36 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
Now now, play nice.

I'll be one of those with a supercharger soon enough, albeit on a RC F. I don't care about the cost. If I only wanted power/performance I could have bought a Hellcat or a Z06. They are both capable of running high 10's in stock form with optimum track conditions. I was actually looking at a Z06, as well as 2 other brands when I jumped into my RC F (Porsche and Jaguar). I have always needed to be different. My buddies drove Mustangs, I had to have the Camaro. The F, both IS and RC, are rare. I didn't come from money. I used to do all of my own wrenching. I still do when I have the time. But when it's cheaper to pay someone else rather than to miss time at work, you get the point.

I would like to see 1000 whp eventually. I believe it is possible on the new forged internals used on the block for the RC F. So that's one of my long term missions. As for the cost? I don't know. But the SS exhaust I'm installing next week goes for $6k from the headers back, more for titanium (You asked). I could have went worth a Borla for ~$1.5k though. The IS F is probably less since it's been out longer and there's more of them on the road.

Anyway, we should all on the same team. There's too few of us.
Even though both engines have forged components, 1000whp will be highly unlikely without modifying internals. More so on the RCF since it has even higher compression ratio.

Last edited by jat0223; 11-23-16 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-23-16, 10:46 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jat0223
Even though both engines have forged components, 1000whp will be highly unlikely without modifying internals. More so on the RCF since it has even higher compression ratio.
The IS F has cast internals. For the RC F they changed to forged connecting rods and titanium intake valves.

I have faith in what it can do. Only time will tell.
Old 11-23-16, 10:57 PM
jat0223
Instructor

The IS F has cast internals. For the RC F they changed to forged connecting rods and titanium intake valves.

I have faith in what it can do. Only time will tell.
I'm not sure where you're getting your info from but the ISFs internals are also forged.
Old 11-23-16, 11:50 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I'm not sure where you're getting your info from but the ISFs internals are also forged.
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...oduct+news.htm

" Special features of the RC F engine include titanium valves, forged connecting rods, an optimized exhaust layout to more effectively harness exhaust pulses and an air-cooled oil cooler for optimum durability.

New or redesigned parts include:
  • Cylinder heads and cam covers
  • Crankshaft: crank pin diameter, connecting rod big-end bearing size and crank counter-weight size are all reduced, to reduce reciprocating weight
  • Crank main bearings and caps
  • High-strength forged connecting rods
  • Pistons and piston rings
  • Titanium inlet and exhaust valves
  • Intake manifold and throttle body
  • Redesigned Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor (VVT-iE)
  • Revised Lexus D-4S dual injection system
  • Four-into-one exhaust headers and heat insulators
  • Oil pan and baffle plate
  • Alternator clutch system
  • Engine and transmission oil coolers
  • Spark plugs"

If this info is incorrect, then I stand corrected. Maybe the IS F does have forged rods? I read somewhere in the RC F forum that they aren't forged. It really doesn't matter. At the very least, the rods used in the RC F are clearly not the same. So any assumptions on the strength of them based on the IS F is purely speculation.

In any event, my goal is 1000 whp. If I can't get it, then my engine will die trying.

Last edited by Davew77; 11-24-16 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-24-16, 12:05 AM
jat0223
Instructor

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...oduct+news.htm

" Special features of the RC F engine include titanium valves, forged connecting rods, an optimized exhaust layout to more effectively harness exhaust pulses and an air-cooled oil cooler for optimum durability.

New or redesigned parts include:
  • Cylinder heads and cam covers
  • Crankshaft: crank pin diameter, connecting rod big-end bearing size and crank counter-weight size are all reduced, to reduce reciprocating weight
  • Crank main bearings and caps
  • High-strength forged connecting rods
  • Pistons and piston rings
  • Titanium inlet and exhaust valves
  • Intake manifold and throttle body
  • Redesigned Variable Valve Timing-intelligent Electric motor (VVT-iE)
  • Revised Lexus D-4S dual injection system
  • Four-into-one exhaust headers and heat insulators
  • Oil pan and baffle plate
  • Alternator clutch system
  • Engine and transmission oil coolers
  • Spark plugs"

If this info is incorrect, then I stand corrected. In any event, my goal is 1000 whp. If I can't get it, then my engine will die trying.
This info is definitely correct, but this doesn't mean the isf doesn't have forged internals as well. Like the RCF, the ISF comes with forged connecting rods and titanium intake valves. With a quick search in the forum you can get pretty detailed info and specs about the ISF engine as well as the changes in the RCF engine. The yamaha papers show all the specs

Last edited by jat0223; 11-24-16 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-24-16, 12:08 AM
Davew77
Lead Lap

This info is definitely correct, but this doesn't mean the isf doesn't have forged internals as well. Like the RCF, the ISF comes with forged connecting rods and titanium intake valves. With a quick search in the forum you can get pretty detailed info and specs about the ISF engine as well as the changes in the RCF engine.
You beat me to it. I edited my last post.
Old 11-24-16, 05:20 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFSCOTT
Lol for sure.

Or even better would like to see some times of blown ISF's. I can't imagine the cost of installing a blower and tuning it on a ISF or if the return for the power and ET's is even worth it. Someone sell me on it ! Let's see all that powa ! Of course we few that actually race our cars will want to see the video, DA adjustments, list of mods, and tineslips as proof ! Until then it's all guesses and dyno queens. ������

There is more to life than drag racing and 1/4 mile ET's. Ever heard of road racing? We have so many customers who have an absolute blast with their ISF's at the track. The IS-F is an amazing machine in that you can beat the living **** out of it at the track every weekend, and daily drive it to work or with your family-- all it requires is basic maintenance. With some basic suspension mods it is an extremely capable track car. If you have some decent driving skills, you will have no problem keeping up with or defeating all the top HPDE cars, Porsches, Vetttes, BMW's, etc.

Here it is... a bunch of F cars in their natural habitat... a track with turns (our May track day at Pocono Raceway):

-Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 11-24-16 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-24-16, 06:44 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
I have read all 6 pages. Honestly, ISFSCOTT has tried and proved his point with valid proof. We shouldn't flame or redicule the op or each other for this. For a member who did tried and dyno plus proving his 1/4 mile time, I give much respect for his time and data. I am a firm believer in the stock intake design but for what the intake did, that is good news. It's OK to think around the box. Not everyone will agree but at least this has shown some positive results. Congrats to OP and keep the results coming.
I too applaud his info, time, effort, etc etc etc. More than what most of us are doing and even capable of doing due to lack of free time, equipment, or whatever the case may be. For that, I'll say TANK YOU for your work. Keep it up, whether some people appreciate it or not, there are some of use who do appreciate it!
Honestly, Rafi started out almost the same way.... testing things on this car where no one else would go in depth testing....and look how far RR Racing has come on our platform!!
We all know that the F cars are expensive to mod...and most of us knew that coming in... I'm sure we could all mod and get the same power from Hondas, Subarus, and Mitsubish's, but we chose the F!
But support this guy for his efforts and info, never know what positive direction it could take us!

V.
Old 11-24-16, 08:52 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Read the attached.

Lou
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ISF Engine_Story.pdf (524.2 KB, 90 views)

Quick Reply: My ISF and K&N Intake Test Are On Super Street Website