IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My ISF and K&N Intake Test Are On Super Street Website

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-16, 09:36 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
Except for a lot more dynos saying the opposite of yours. Im curious to see the times and the mod to the design you did, if it really does provide that much gain it would be great.

My additional mod was after I got home and after the dyno. I'll put up a pic tomorrow. As far as the other tests I have seen some of them. Some were dyno pulls in the wrong gear ( 3rd instead of 6th ) and others had no dyno results and instead seat of pants comparisons. 20 ft lbs of tq under the curve and 17 rwhp in two pulls within two hours of each other in the heat of the day is hard to refute. The proof is on the paper.
Old 10-30-16, 09:57 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

This is the mod I came up with AFTER the dyno results from the cold air intake. When I was taking the parts from my trunk it hit me that this scoop should / could be added back on from the factory box to help direct more fresh air to the filter. This of course will not come into play until you start gaining speed. I am also going to close off the gap under the plate that holds the filter in place but allows engine air to be sucked into the filter which is the main knock on this mod..Additional mod to cold air intake I came up with after my dyno test results.
Additional mod to cold air intake I came up with after my dyno test results.
Old 10-30-16, 10:03 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Some photos not included in the Super Street article.

Old 10-30-16, 10:04 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Old 10-30-16, 10:25 PM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting read. I have a K&N on mine - it was on here when I got it. Quick story.

I test drove 4 Fs before I found the one I bought. Three were 2011s and one was a 2012. All stock. Within 5 minutes of driving my 08, I pulled it over, called a knowledgeable friend, and popped the hood.

"This car is faster, I can feel it" I told him. I walked to the front of the car, opened the hood and immediately noticed the intake. I noted this to him and we both figured this was a possible reason why.

I bought the car and felt the "faster" thoughts came from one of four possible things: 1) the intake, 2) the feel of the rougher suspension producing a sensation of moving faster. The suspension on the 08 was immediately apparent vs. the others I'd driven, 3) better break-in, 4) "holy *****, this is my new car" placebo effects.

Since reading everything about the intake on this forum, I've been on the hunt for a stock piece. I adore the way mine sounds, but had concerns about heat soak.

That's my story.
Old 10-30-16, 10:30 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Here is the stock run, you can hear how much quieter it is with the stock intake and air box:

Here is the run after the K&N cold air intake, noticeable sound difference and quicker pull on the dyno:

Both pulls made in sixth gear which is the 1:1 for the car. Car hit 162 both times. lol New ET's from the track as soon as I get back from SEMA.

-
Old 10-30-16, 10:34 PM
ISFSCOTT
Driver

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
Interesting read. I have a K&N on mine - it was on here when I got it. Quick story.

I test drove 4 Fs before I found the one I bought. Three were 2011s and one was a 2012. All stock. Within 5 minutes of driving my 08, I pulled it over, called a knowledgeable friend, and popped the hood.

"This car is faster, I can feel it" I told him. I walked to the front of the car, opened the hood and immediately noticed the intake. I noted this to him and we both figured this was a possible reason why.

I bought the car and felt the "faster" thoughts came from one of four possible things: 1) the intake, 2) the feel of the rougher suspension producing a sensation of moving faster. The suspension on the 08 was immediately apparent vs. the others I'd driven, 3) better break-in, 4) "holy *****, this is my new car" placebo effects.

Since reading everything about the intake on this forum, I've been on the hunt for a stock piece. I adore the way mine sounds, but had concerns about heat soak.

That's my story.

I have heard the same claims about the heat soak but zero data to back it up. In addition to the other mod I did after the install to get more air to the filter I just might ceramic coat the intake pipe to put the heat soak conversation to bed once and for all. I will not do that though until I make some new hits at the track with the way the car sits now with the parts right from the box.

I have also heard the 2008's seemed faster, not sure if there is any data to support this. Thanks for sharing the story though..
Old 10-30-16, 10:53 PM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll wait for isfscotts new et's before I pass judgement. I will add however that the isf is the first car I've come across that seems to loose power with an intake mod, supposedly. I think now that tuning is available, many of us are finding out how sensitive this motor is to octane, heat, and kclv's. Perhaps all of the intakes should be re-looked at now and compared to kclv.

like many on here I've been a believer in the stock intake but with new information circulating, maybe we were wrong. Anyway, let's wait for some track times. Thanks for sharing Scott
Old 10-31-16, 01:14 AM
DjMarkOne
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFSCOTT
You can read the dyno sheet yourself inside the link I posted. I have a lot of video and photos of the car on the rollers as we did the testing. It did nothing but gain a sizeable amount for such a easy mod. Yes it looses the second flap, it goes away when you take the factory box out.
Nice! I remember this was the only other article I read a while back showing that the k&n kit did actually show a good increase in power, but all dyno pulls were done in 3rd gear: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ir-intake.aspx

Now with tuning available, I wonder what tweaks can be made to fully utilize the typhoon setup.
Old 10-31-16, 01:28 AM
ISF4life
Lexus Test Driver

Received 164 Likes on 116 Posts

y 3rd gear ? should be 6th gear is 1/1 ratio
Old 10-31-16, 04:01 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

That sounds nice! I think it's going to be hard to prove those gains at the track, but the sound alone might be worth it!
Old 10-31-16, 05:15 AM
GR8WHITE
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting. I remember reading about a member who bought their F with the K&N intake and took it to the track. Later he replaced it with the stock intake, and it trapped a few MPH slower (albeit with a quicker ET). Perhaps there is something to this....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-results.html
Old 10-31-16, 06:47 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

To the guy above who test drive several stock Fs the drove the one with the K&N intake and it felt faster, 2 thisng lead to this: the sound from the engine/intake is different/more aggressive, which can definitely make you think and feel you're going faster than you are (still not to say that you actually weren't faster than the others) and 2ndly, thus intake loses the 2nd flap....so the intake valve or whatever is always open, instead of opening at 3500-3800 rpm. There was a thread here in the forum showing a mod that you could do to make the 2nd intake flap remain open. EVERYONE reported that the car sounded better, had better acceleration from a dig/in lower rpms, and overall felt faster. Iirc, no one had proof in the 1/4 mile or dyno though.
Maybe someone can link us to that thread. I believe the k&n is somewhat giving us the same effects of the 2nd flap remain open all the time.

V.
Old 10-31-16, 06:57 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

How many pulls were done before the intake and after the intake? Was this all done in the same day? If only a few pulls were done for each, the test isn't accurate. If this was all done on the same day, the test isn't accurate.

I personally saw two ISFs go at it with the only difference being the k&n intake in one of them. The F with the stock intake was noticeably faster than the one with the k&n. Some others tested this intake letting the ecu properly learn and it lost power.

You have to realize that the RR intake has a bigger maf enclosure and it's tuned and that doesn't even make as much power as this post claims.

I hope that you can go to the track on a day with similar conditions to your baseline run.
Old 10-31-16, 07:11 AM
Helo58
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, don't drive your car between now and then and trailer it to the track. The KCLV values change greatly with a minimal amount of driving and I have always suspected that this is why my car (and others) make power immediately after the change but then as the computer learns and adjusts values, the gains are lost or minimized. It is my belief that both parties are right. It makes power now, but will slowly lose that power over the course of several drive cycles unless it is tuned with the intake on it and values can't change out of the tuned values range. It would be interesting to see the 'delta' between high and low intake temps during the VERY brief time they are in the intake path on modded ISFs vs. non modded ISFs. Does this data exist?

Quick Reply: My ISF and K&N Intake Test Are On Super Street Website