Auto sensing wiper system

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 02:55 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Auto sensing wiper system

Hey fellow f'ers

I have not been very pleased with the auto rain sensing wiper system on my 2012 F since the day I bought it.

It swipes either way too fast or way too slow. It drives me bananas. Sometimes the rain just starts or there is some condensation on the windshield and the wiper will go ***** out like a torrential down pour.

Lexus has tried changing the gel pad and the windshield already and they can't figure it out.

I have decided to go back to the traditional manual way of doing things. I have disconnected the rain sensor and it works great but once the car starts moving, it goes to it's single speed setting again. When the car is fully stopped, it's great. Does anyone know how to disconnect the speed sensor or if techstream can disable the auto rain sensor altogether so I can adjust the stick manually?

Thanks

Ps, I have done a lot of searching but most complains are on the Rx, and the es's
Old 10-24-16, 03:34 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 the rain sensing wiper system suck in my 2012 F, even with the sensitivity adjusted to max, it does a poor job.
Old 10-24-16, 03:50 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I actually had my functioning yesterday. As it rarely rains in So Cal, they rarely get used. But I am happy to report that slight rain (non torrential and not interspersed droplets) activated the auto sense wipers.
Old 10-24-16, 04:22 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ever since I got my windshield replaced (got shattered by a bucket on the freeway) mine has been acting exactly like OP's. I looked thru techstream and haven't really seen where it disables that feature.
Old 10-24-16, 04:44 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it is worth when I bought my 2011 I felt the same way as OP as mine came with an aftermarket windshield. It had a chip on the windshield when I bought it (no biggie was small, and its free fix in FL. previous owner had already used his for the year) but took my time to research I found a place here in jax that will replace with 'factory glass' (branded as lexus rather than whatever other company made the prior windshield so I am assuming it is on the up and up). It is much much easier to clean and the wiper sensors seem to work properly now. Not to mention wind noise -- once they removed the old one they said I bet you got a lot of wind noise right here (they were right) and showed me all the ways Safelite did a terrible job installing the old one.

It might be worth doing some research in your area and see if you have a similar option.I think a lot of these windshield repair shops do people a huge disservice not only on install but quality of glass. They will claim its exactly the same and it might be a placebo effect but it is not to me. I've already recommended these guys to a few other folks (actually saw the same installer next door) and everyone thanked me once they got the work done.
Old 10-24-16, 06:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I recently had my windshield replaced after a huge crack formed from the passenger's side to the middle. I asked for Lexus glass, but was told it would not necessarily be available. I requested Pilkington, knowing they are an OEM provider for many makes/models. The windshield I got is indistinguishable from the OEM glass save the Pilkington logo on it. Rain sensors work the same as ever, and after a coat of PPG Aquapel, it is a massive improvement over the horribly pitted original glass. The install was done by a local to Charlotte installer. He has been doing windshields for 32 years. No issues, problems, or concerns with the install. Was it as meticulous as if I had done it myself? No. Is it acceptable and does it perform perfectly with no added wind noise? Yes. Can I see through it at night clearly where I could not before? A resounding YES indeed.

Thanks to another forum member who mentioned using Pilkington glass for his replacement. The recommendation is dead on the money!
Old 10-24-16, 08:34 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I recently had my windshield replaced after a huge crack formed from the passenger's side to the middle. I asked for Lexus glass, but was told it would not necessarily be available. I requested Pilkington, knowing they are an OEM provider for many makes/models. The windshield I got is indistinguishable from the OEM glass save the Pilkington logo on it. Rain sensors work the same as ever, and after a coat of PPG Aquapel, it is a massive improvement over the horribly pitted original glass. The install was done by a local to Charlotte installer. He has been doing windshields for 32 years. No issues, problems, or concerns with the install. Was it as meticulous as if I had done it myself? No. Is it acceptable and does it perform perfectly with no added wind noise? Yes. Can I see through it at night clearly where I could not before? A resounding YES indeed.

Thanks to another forum member who mentioned using Pilkington glass for his replacement. The recommendation is dead on the money!
Yep, I think the lesson is find a good local shop.
Old 10-24-16, 10:44 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Lexus replaced my window with an oem windshield in hope to get rid of the problem. I don't have any wind noise. Everything was just like it was when I first got it. Sub par functioning auto sensor but at least I got a new oem glass and gel pad lol

I live in a place that gets a lot of rain. Probably 6-7 months of the year so I am in pursuit of excellence with my wiper system even if that means manual control. Lol I am half way there.
Old 10-25-16, 07:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

My Post from another thread - 4 years ago:

Originally Posted by flowrider
I just replaced the windshield on my F. My insurance company was not going to do OEM because of the age of my car, a 2008. But after a day of negotiating and with the help of my agent, I got the OEM stuff, but with a twist. I have built a relationship with the parts manager at my dealer, I actually started the relationship before he became the parts manager. I have found over my long life time, that building these kinds of relationships with businesses and folks who you deal with makes life a lot easier. But, who you choose to build that relationship with is very important.

Anyway, I could get the windshield at a discounted price, cheaper than State Farm could. So they agreed to pay me the out of pocket costs for the windshield, if I bought it directly, and they would pay the installer directly for the installation. The only issue was, since the installer was not doing the install, they would not take responsibility for moving the glass. So, I had to have it installed in the dealer's parking lot. Not really a big deal. So, persistence here and an understanding agent along with knowing the parts manager all paid off in getting me the OEM windshield I wanted.

Now, as regards to Pilkington, I noticed some of the OEM windshields on the dealer's lot were marked Lexus, Pilkington and I asked the installer about this. He told me that Pilkington has two plants, one for OEM glass and one for aftermarket. He told me that they are not the same, but they are good quality for aftermarket stuff. The best glass is OEM. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but, who knows.

My glass is not Pilkington but was marked exactly like the glass they removed.
Lou
Old 10-26-16, 09:49 AM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just turn the switch to OFF? No need for Techstream to disable the feature. I believe the auto setting is the first click down on the wiper switch and the top is OFF. The manual settings should be below that. I think the wiper switch has a triangle icon on it to symbolize the auto setting. I'm not in my car at the moment, but I can go down and take a pic is needed.
Old 10-26-16, 09:58 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine works like crap too, I just use the manual controls.
Old 10-26-16, 01:16 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s4chico
Why not just turn the switch to OFF? No need for Techstream to disable the feature. I believe the auto setting is the first click down on the wiper switch and the top is OFF. The manual settings should be below that. I think the wiper switch has a triangle icon on it to symbolize the auto setting. I'm not in my car at the moment, but I can go down and take a pic is needed.
I need to see when it rains, so i can't have it off. When i put it into the manual mode (one below the auto), it is sweeping too quickly for a light drizzle. When i go to auto, it's got a mind of it's own. Sometimes full speed like manual mode 2 when it is just starting to rain, and sometimes way too slow when it's pouring out.
Old 10-26-16, 01:26 PM
s4chico
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious if you had tried adjusting the sensitivity of the auto sensor all the way down by turning the ring on the wiper control ****? I have some rock chips in my windshield and wonder if it will affect my auto wiper mode if I get it replaced.

Last edited by s4chico; 10-26-16 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-26-16, 01:37 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s4chico
I'm curious if you had tried adjusting the sensitivity of the auto sensor all the way down by turning the ring on the wiper control ****? I have some rock chips in my windshield and wonder if it will affect my auto wiper mode.

yes i have. There is very little effect on it.
Old 10-26-16, 06:21 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jlam86
I need to see when it rains, so i can't have it off. When i put it into the manual mode (one below the auto), it is sweeping too quickly for a light drizzle. When i go to auto, it's got a mind of it's own. Sometimes full speed like manual mode 2 when it is just starting to rain, and sometimes way too slow when it's pouring out.
You don't have to wait til it rains, just use a water hose or spray bottle.
I honestly LOVE how exact my wipers are... sensitive when they need to be, non sensitive when they don't need to be!!! Took me a good while of reading the manual and testing different settings the first night I got the car...worked in the setting like an hr before getting them to my liking. A few weeks ago I accidentally turned the **** and messes my settings all up....wipers would barely come on when raining. Took a few mins to get them back right.
Will admit they are a lil confusing and hard to get set "correctly", but getting 'proper' settings is very much possible.

V.