IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone had their wheels refinished successfully?

Old 10-22-16, 03:21 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Anyone had their wheels refinished successfully?

I'm looking to get a couple of extra 2011 wheels refinished from minor curb rash. In the past I've had wheels refinished for about 100$ each, but the 2011 wheels have a fairly intricate pattern to them and I don't want to find out that it is going to cost $300 a wheel to fix them or something crazy like that.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 10-22-16, 07:27 AM
JoseM81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did. I went to the Lexus dealership and they have an outside company that comes in and repairs rims. Mine is 2011 and they charged me $150 each.
Old 10-22-16, 07:56 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice. Thank you for the info!
Old 10-22-16, 08:13 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had my first set refinished by one of those mobile wheel repair guys. Great job although the finish was slightly different. Couldn't complain since it was $150 for all four
Old 10-22-16, 10:49 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JoseM81
I did. I went to the Lexus dealership and they have an outside company that comes in and repairs rims. Mine is 2011 and they charged me $150 each.
I did the same thing except I'm in Canada so I have what you would call the Nieman Marcus wheels. They charged $200 per wheel and could not replicate the hand polished finish. I was pretty upset about that and wished they would have told me prior.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-24-16 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Nieman Marcus is not Marcus Newman
Old 10-22-16, 11:05 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
I had my first set refinished by one of those mobile wheel repair guys. Great job although the finish was slightly different. Couldn't complain since it was $150 for all four
I did the same since they were curved when I bought the car, not perfect but decent enough for $150.
Old 10-22-16, 02:22 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I had all 4 refinished and powercoated - I think I paid around 400 (including the dismounting/remounting of the tires. Color is slightly lighter than stock, but they all match perfectly.
Old 10-22-16, 02:25 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Old 10-22-16, 04:45 PM
Fuzzyoner
Driver School Candidate

Ugh...I need all 4 of mine done since the PO found every curb insight to hit.
The problem is I'm not sure I want to spend the money since I'd rather save for newer/wider wheels.
Possibly a square set-up.
Looks good Vervish
Old 10-23-16, 07:11 AM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzyoner
Ugh...I need all 4 of mine done since the PO found every curb insight to hit.
The problem is I'm not sure I want to spend the money since I'd rather save for newer/wider wheels.
Possibly a square set-up.
Looks good Vervish
Purchase new rims and tires to use in the summer and turn the stockers into winter rims after you get them powder coated. That's my plan. I got the RCF hand polished 20 spoke models. About to purchase new tires to go on them for my yearly inspection which means I'll have the 2011 stock models free to get repaired and coated.

I attached a picture that shows where I used a duplicolor spray can of 1E3 Phantom Gray. I realize this is cheap and not desirable but I simply wanted to make the rims look a little better while I waited to install the RCF wheels and new tires. You'd be hard pressed to tell me where it was sprayed and where it wasn't from a casual look. If you get up really close you can tell.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone had their wheels refinished successfully?-img_2860.jpg   Anyone had their wheels refinished successfully?-img_2861.jpg  

Last edited by Bigjon3475; 10-23-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-23-16, 11:03 AM
Fuzzyoner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bigjon3475
Purchase new rims and tires to use in the summer and turn the stockers into winter rims after you get them powder coated. That's my plan. I got the RCF hand polished 20 spoke models. About to purchase new tires to go on them for my yearly inspection which means I'll have the 2011 stock models free to get repaired and coated.

I attached a picture that shows where I used a duplicolor spray can of 1E3 Phantom Gray. I realize this is cheap and not desirable but I simply wanted to make the rims look a little better while I waited to install the RCF wheels and new tires. You'd be hard pressed to tell me where it was sprayed and where it wasn't from a casual look. If you get up really close you can tell.

from this pov you can't tell the difference.....good job!
yeah my stock NEED to be sand blasted and powder coated not just sprayed. There is brake dust caked on the so severely I haven't been able to get it off.
where at in NC are you located that you need different wheels for the winter?
I'm in Charlotte and the one snow we get a year doesn't affect me....I just drive my wife's car.
Old 10-23-16, 11:41 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah my stock NEED to be sand blasted and powder coated not just sprayed. There is brake dust caked on the so severely I haven't been able to get it off.
I'm in Charlotte and the one snow we get a year doesn't affect me....I just drive my wife's car.
Do you mean they are black colored almost like a powder? Mine have this on he underside of one of the spokes, looks like someone tried to clean it with chemicals while it was still hot and burned it on
Old 10-23-16, 12:02 PM
Fuzzyoner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nks979
Do you mean they are black colored almost like a powder? Mine have this on he underside of one of the spokes, looks like someone tried to clean it with chemicals while it was still hot and burned it on
Exactly....drives me nuts
Old 10-23-16, 12:06 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The mountains.
Old 10-24-16, 06:12 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,832 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I've had my wheels refinished at Wheel Wizard in Atlanta. They do everything from minor scratches to full refinishing, including polishing and multicolor patterns. They do high end exotics - Ferrari, Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, and all the pedestrian brands too. If they won't fix it, it should not be fixed. I have seen some truly amazing results.

That said, they're not the cheapest around, and I spent almost $800 getting my 2014 wheels redone. They were stripped, painted black, and powder coated clear. They looked amazing the day I put them on, and they still look amazing when they are clean.

For those unhappy with the hot brake pad bits melting into their wheel paint, I was able to remove all of it with Iron-X.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone had their wheels refinished successfully?