IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Member experience/feedback with exhaust mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 05:10 PM
flawless
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Member experience/feedback with exhaust mods

I recently bought a 2011 that came with JoeZ PTS exhaust. I've driven many vehicles with aftermarket exhaust and over the years I've steered away from aftermarket exhaust due to the noise levels for daily commuting. However, the current setup sounds good, gives the car some attitude and let's the V8 announce itself, while also keeping a manageable tone on the highway.

That being said, I'm reading that headers unlock some serious power gains. I'd like to get some feedback from other members who went from stock to various levels of exhaust mods in terms of noise levels inside the cabin while cruising and under acceleration.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-09-16, 05:53 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I fell in love when I saw what the ISS Forged QES Track version had to offer. Especially, after watching Steve Meades video. I was warned of the loud noise levels, but welcomed it. I've also learned with PPE headers, it takes the noise to insane levels. Which I'm looking forward to...lol. As it stands, it drones very loudly in the cabin, everything vibrates. For some odd reason as bad as that may seem, it isn't an obnoxious sound or drone. The tone and rumble is veeery deep and loud. Everyone who rides in the car is completely blown away from the sound. Once I drop a gear and disappear, it feels and sounds like the earth is shattering beneath me. Like I mentioned before, I snap more necks than Steven Segal...lol. I can't wait for headers one day.
Old 10-09-16, 06:00 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Here's a link to the video from Steve Meade. I have the same color, model year, and exhaust setup in my F. I was torn between the Joe Z and this exhaust. The fact that Joe Z didn't design a through tip design was the deal breaker for me.
The following users liked this post:
adr7090 (07-19-21)
Old 10-09-16, 06:09 PM
Minh93
Driver

Is anyone has any opinion about straight pipe??
Old 10-09-16, 07:13 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minh93
Is anyone has any opinion about straight pipe??
My first F came straight piped. I loved the sound but wasn't fond of the aesthetic look, especially in the rear diffusers. It droned for sure below 2k rpms. It also made the car feel torqueless in the lower rpm range. It definitely shifted the power band to have more top end speed.
Old 10-09-16, 08:15 PM
flawless
Driver

Appreciate the feedback so far, I'm learning that ISS forged and straight is not for me. Was hoping for feedback on any combos, headers plus catback with or without high flow cats, when coming from stock.
Old 10-09-16, 08:23 PM
josh810
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations on your New Car! To answer your question with my experience, I too ran the JoeZ PTS exhaust for a few months before adding on my Sikky Headers. I also wondered if I wouldn't be able to stand the the extra noise or smell of a Catless car. Here's my experience with the Joez + sikky.

Pros:

Noticeable Power Increase
You can definitely feel the cars extra power after the headers, a very noticeable difference that completely wakes the car up, prepare to spend some cash on wider tires if you haven't already done so.

Less Drone
My car use to drone with just the exhaust before, now its all just about gone.

Sound
Before with just my exhaust I use to love the sound my car made from 1000-4000rpm, But from 4000-6800 it quieted down to somewhat a stock sound. Now with the headers it sounds the same way it did from 1000-4000rpm but screams after 4000rpm+. Its very addicting and I absolutely love it now.

Cons:

Smell
Many members have reported no smell but that's absolute BS, any catless car will have a gas smell, how much will vary. I Consistently drive with the windows down and I only really notice the smell get inside the cabin when I'm Driving towards the way the wind is blowing, and that's only in stop and go traffic. PPE does sell High flow cats you can add to your Joe Z that should pretty much eliminate the smell entirely for the price of about 7whp and 300USD.

Reverting back to Stock
Getting the headers installed was easily a 5 hour Job, Its a lot harder to swap back in the stock exhaust manifolds then to just go back to the stock exhaust.

Final Thoughts
I'm absolutely happy with my car being Full Bolt Ons, It really brought out that extra punch and sound that the car needed when it only had an exhaust, there is no way I can go back to stock or just exhaust. If anything maybe ill invest in some GESI Cats later down the road to eliminate the smell for the Perfect setup. If your on the fence about it Im sure there is a member with a FBO ISF near you that would gladly let you check out his car. Best of luck with your decision hope my 2 cents helped.

-Josh
Old 10-09-16, 08:40 PM
flawless
Driver

Originally Posted by josh810
Congratulations on your New Car! To answer your question with my experience, I too ran the JoeZ PTS exhaust for a few months before adding on my Sikky Headers. I also wondered if I wouldn't be able to stand the the extra noise or smell of a Catless car. Here's my experience with the Joez + sikky.

Pros:

Noticeable Power Increase
You can definitely feel the cars extra power after the headers, a very noticeable difference that completely wakes the car up, prepare to spend some cash on wider tires if you haven't already done so.

Less Drone
My car use to drone with just the exhaust before, now its all just about gone.

Sound
Before with just my exhaust I use to love the sound my car made from 1000-4000rpm, But from 4000-6800 it quieted down to somewhat a stock sound. Now with the headers it sounds the same way it did from 1000-4000rpm but screams after 4000rpm+. Its very addicting and I absolutely love it now.

Cons:

Smell
Many members have reported no smell but that's absolute BS, any catless car will have a gas smell, how much will vary. I Consistently drive with the windows down and I only really notice the smell get inside the cabin when I'm Driving towards the way the wind is blowing, and that's only in stop and go traffic. PPE does sell High flow cats you can add to your Joe Z that should pretty much eliminate the smell entirely for the price of about 7whp and 300USD.

Reverting back to Stock
Getting the headers installed was easily a 5 hour Job, Its a lot harder to swap back in the stock exhaust manifolds then to just go back to the stock exhaust.

Final Thoughts
I'm absolutely happy with my car being Full Bolt Ons, It really brought out that extra punch and sound that the car needed when it only had an exhaust, there is no way I can go back to stock or just exhaust. If anything maybe ill invest in some GESI Cats later down the road to eliminate the smell for the Perfect setup. If your on the fence about it Im sure there is a member with a FBO ISF near you that would gladly let you check out his car. Best of luck with your decision hope my 2 cents helped.

-Josh
Excellent feedback, thank you! So if I'm reading this correctly, drone in the highest gear while cruising is actually less with the headers? Other than droning, would you say that the overall noise level of the exhaust while cruising increased with the headers? The way I read your post, noise actually decreased with the headers except when on the throttle.

I imagine I'll need the cats for emissions, so I was already considering those a necessity regardless of smell. Did you install them yourself?
Old 10-09-16, 08:50 PM
Minh93
Driver

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
My first F came straight piped. I loved the sound but wasn't fond of the aesthetic look, especially in the rear diffusers. It droned for sure below 2k rpms. It also made the car feel torqueless in the lower rpm range. It definitely shifted the power band to have more top end speed.
I love the straight pipe sounds, it sounds extremely aggressive. So are you still running straight pipe or switch to another set up??
Old 10-09-16, 08:55 PM
josh810
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flawless
Excellent feedback, thank you! So if I'm reading this correctly, drone in the highest gear while cruising is actually less with the headers? Other than droning, would you say that the overall noise level of the exhaust while cruising increased with the headers? The way I read your post, noise actually decreased with the headers except when on the throttle.

I imagine I'll need the cats for emissions, so I was already considering those a necessity regardless of smell. Did you install them yourself?
Yes drone has reduced in every gear for me by at least 60%.

The noise while cruising in D with Sport OFF feels pretty much the same to me, I don't push my car past 3000 rpm while city driving/ cruising. I cant really notice much difference in noise. However with Sport ON and in Manual the car is way Louder. The exhaust pops are Loud and really turn heads, I love the fact that I can be somewhat quiet or loud when I want to. I've had many Police cruisers behind me and till this day (knock on wood) I haven't been pulled over.

I've heard adding high flow cats will quiet your car slightly, I don't know about drone with the high flows.

I did not install the headers myself, a shop out in Pomona CA called ETL Garage did it for me, they had done like 6 ISFs before mine.

-Josh
Old 10-09-16, 09:02 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flawless
The downside of adding the hi-flow cats with headers is you'd have to cut your exhaust to get them on. Not saying he couldn't do this but also not sure of your question. I have the borla exhaust + mangaflow muffler setup and as it is I definitely smell some exhaust already when I'm pushing it with the windows down or when I get out of the car right after its off. Makes me unsure of what to do for headers. Riding behind some other F', even at interstate speeds, could definitely smell it. I kind of don't want to be that guy.
Old 10-09-16, 09:06 PM
josh810
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Pushtape
The downside of adding the hi-flow cats with headers is you'd have to cut your exhaust to get them on. Not saying he couldn't do this but also not sure of your question. I have the borla exhaust + mangaflow muffler setup and as it is I definitely smell some exhaust already when I'm pushing it with the windows down or when I get out of the car right after its off. Makes me unsure of what to do for headers. Riding behind some other F', even at interstate speeds, could definitely smell it. I kind of don't want to be that guy.
I too driven behind some other Fs with no cats under WOT and the smell is STRONG. I would of chopped my JoeZ and added some high flows if it wasn't for the loss in power and the fact that I don't daily my F.
Old 10-09-16, 09:16 PM
Pushtape
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh810
I too driven behind some other Fs with no cats under WOT and the smell is STRONG. I would of chopped my JoeZ and added some high flows if it wasn't for the loss in power and the fact that I don't daily my F.
Yep even with windows up it was getting sucked in, they said they don't smell it which i kind of believe but it's pretty strong being behind it. lol

Made me rethink getting headers and now can't decide, until of course someone puts up some on classifieds for a great price.
Old 10-09-16, 10:19 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Love everything about headers except the smell..

I would get catted headers if my car was a DD..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-09-16, 10:20 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I opted to have my performance parts installed one by one on separate occasions, as opposed to doing it all at the same time. I must say- intake to exhaust installation had the most auditory satisfaction and then exhaust to header installation (pre-tune) felt like a brand new driving experience with the gains. Post-tune, this platform holds its own so much better in comparison to the competition. But knowing which mods are still available, I would've opted to have the headers installed first and then exhaust. It's like a new adrenaline rush every time I punch the throttle above 3k RPM.

Quick Reply: Member experience/feedback with exhaust mods