IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone ever cross shop Panamera's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 11:08 AM
kiryu
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the panameras have depreciated nicely like typical germans..so yes NOW you can cross shop a ISF to a panamera
but i think they are too different to be in the same category though
Power aside, the panamera is obviously bigger (think s class), heavier, nicer interior, better ride quality for sure, better PDK, quite reliable for a german but lexus reliability is just another league in itself. And as long as you can stand the looks though. Porsche badge is seen as more luxury/expensive than a lexus any day.
Old 10-10-16, 12:10 PM
iH8RICERZ
Racer

Received 212 Likes on 77 Posts

I've always had my eye on the Panamera ever since they came out. Thought they were hideous, and then I saw one in Monterey that parked right next to me. Instantly fell in love with the styling of it. Then the company I work for (Golden State Warriors) had a sponsorship deal with Porsche and brought a couple of cars for the Players to try out. Half of the players ended up getting a Panamera and modding them. Some had tasteful mods, some were just meh, including Curry's. Now him and Klay Thompson drive GT3, but anyways... I would still love to get a Panamera GTS since a 4dr with some power and comfort is essential.

These are damn sexy

Old 10-10-16, 04:16 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no, but looking into the Porsche Macan.
Old 10-11-16, 06:11 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PWRSTEVE
I was actually cross shopping and test driving some. I was waiting in the Porsche dealership service lobby for them to pull one up when I heard a service consulting telling a customer over the phone that resetting the CEL would be $1300 because it was out of warranty.
??? Not my experience having owned most models and primarily driven turbos as my daily drivers for about 30 years and turbos do get the Porsche premium for service and repairs. They will run codes and reset for free if simply a gas cap type issue or something that does not require a repair. I have always found Porsche maintenance and repair costs tolerable, but perhaps my Italian ownership experiences throughout the years raised my tolerance level. My RCF services, brakes, rotors and etc. are comparable to Porsche or perhaps even a bit more on some items.

Originally Posted by mindcrime
no, but looking into the Porsche Macan.
Wife has a Macan. She likes it, but likes her S7 better and looking to get CLS63. I drive the Macan more than her, especially when I am toting the 5 year old around. Great car, but get a 2017 for better technology and do not scrimp on options. PASM, air suspension, sport chrono and etc. are a must or just opt for the GTS which has necessary driving packages.
Old 10-11-16, 08:17 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DougHII
??? Not my experience having owned most models and primarily driven turbos as my daily drivers for about 30 years and turbos do get the Porsche premium for service and repairs. They will run codes and reset for free if simply a gas cap type issue or something that does not require a repair. I have always found Porsche maintenance and repair costs tolerable, but perhaps my Italian ownership experiences throughout the years raised my tolerance level. My RCF services, brakes, rotors and etc. are comparable to Porsche or perhaps even a bit more on some items.

Wife has a Macan. She likes it, but likes her S7 better and looking to get CLS63. I drive the Macan more than her, especially when I am toting the 5 year old around. Great car, but get a 2017 for better technology and do not scrimp on options. PASM, air suspension, sport chrono and
etc. are a must or just opt for the GTS which has necessary driving packages.
I've been watching youtube videos on the Macan and main issue is it isn't roomy. I'm 6 foot, so is my son, but he's growing. so either get a cayenne, or another bigger SUV. I might go check one out though, then go compare to the Audi SQ5.
Old 10-11-16, 12:36 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

I've been watching youtube videos on the Macan and main issue is it isn't roomy. I'm 6 foot, so is my son, but he's growing. so either get a cayenne, or another bigger SUV. I might go check one out though, then go compare to the Audi SQ5.
Not much into Youtube reviews. Roomy as compared to what? Go sit in one and see what you think.

I am same height. I have been stuffing the mother-in-law in the back seat behind driver's seat (5 year old's car seat on the other side) and mother-in-law hasn't complained . . ., although she only speaks Russian and my Russian sucks so I suppose she could be cussing me every time she gets in and I just don't know it . . .

Isn't the SQ5 basically the same size?
Old 10-11-16, 04:28 PM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

LOL. Russian has sounds like it's cussing or yelling, kind of like Vietnamese. I'll go test drive both soon, but yeah I think they may be same size so it's all about best bang for buck. never had Euro car so I'm not sure on reliability. i'll have to check the forums.
Old 10-11-16, 04:48 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

LOL. Russian has sounds like it's cussing or yelling, kind of like Vietnamese. I'll go test drive both soon, but yeah I think they may be same size so it's all about best bang for buck. never had Euro car so I'm not sure on reliability. i'll have to check the forums.
Porsche and Lexus are almost a dead tie for most reliable manufacturer, but Porsche came out 2nd.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-vds

Audis can be a dang PIA regarding reliability if you are a stickler on that issue, but they still scored above the average.

Despite Porsches generally being driven much harder than your average Lexus, they are amazingly bullet proof well built cars.
Old 10-11-16, 11:46 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Porsche and Lexus are almost a dead tie for most reliable manufacturer, but Porsche came out 2nd.

Audis can be a dang PIA regarding reliability if you are a stickler on that issue, but they still scored above the average.

Despite Porsches generally being driven much harder than your average Lexus, they are amazingly bullet proof well built cars.
I think most cars are relatively reliable for the first 3 years of ownership, especially where it's somewhat common to have p cars are strictly weekend cars with very little miles on them.
Old 10-11-16, 11:50 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, hope to have this as my wifes and I future garage, maybe an M3 in place of the ISF, Panamera for her and Carrera 4 GTS for me
Originally Posted by hyboost

Old 10-12-16, 06:10 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by empathy
I think most cars are relatively reliable for the first 3 years of ownership, especially where it's somewhat common to have p cars are strictly weekend cars with very little miles on them.
I have had more issues with my RCF in the first 30k miles than my daily driver Porsches. The M3 I had briefly between my 997tt and the RCF was a disaster . . . People also drive their Porsches harder and a sitting car can be prone to different types of problems.

I put 30k miles on a 94 3.6t, 45k miles on a 97 993tt, 35k miles on a 2001 996tt (w/extra stress cause by 750 hp upgrade), 80k on a 2004 996tt cab, 40k miles on a 08 997tt, 50k miles on a 04 Cayenne S to pull ski boat and have owned a slew of that have tracked, flogged and wholly abused regularly in a way that people do not tend to drive their Lexus . . .

I had a rear spoiler fail to deploy on 2001 996tt (warranty), remote locks required multiple pushes on 04 Cayenne (warranty), and slave cylinder on 2004 996tt cab at around 65k miles goodwilled by Porsche.

I have also owned many air-cooleds with 60k to 100k miles and they are bullet proof except for the top end rebuild required around 60k or 70k miles that is really no more costly than a major service for most sports cars. The early water cooled non-turbo and non-GT M96 motors do have RMS/IMS issues now.

I would not hesitate to recommend any Porsche from a reliability stand point. They are truly some of the best built, most reliable cars on the road and have better fit and finishes than Lexus.

Last edited by DougHII; 10-12-16 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 06:18 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TTechLexus
Awesome, hope to have this as my wifes and I future garage, maybe an M3 in place of the ISF, Panamera for her and Carrera 4 GTS for me
Love your garage and the 996tt is such a sleeper, great car. 991.2 in your future? Check out the Macan GTS if look at Panameras. These things drive incredible well. I actually have a few buddies that traded their 991s for the Macan GTS for the extra size and they are perfectly happy with the drivability.
Old 10-12-16, 07:45 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

thanks for the info Doug, I have a few months to decide. the Porsche idea just popped in my head so I don't want to rush into anything. there a nice macan s next to my work that caught my eye, so that triggered my interest. I still have my 2001 ford svt lightning to get back on the road, and my 07 GS 350 needs some work, so cash will go there first.
Old 10-12-16, 09:04 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on the Porsche model. Their Audi-based platform vehicles are far less reliable than the "traditional" Porsche models (911, Boxster, Cayman).
Old 10-12-16, 10:42 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Depends on the Porsche model. Their Audi-based platform vehicles are far less reliable than the "traditional" Porsche models (911, Boxster, Cayman).
??? All models factored in for the reliability rating and from where do you get the Macan or new Cayenne is "far less reliable" than 911, Boxter or Cayman? Our Macan has about 9k and no hiccups so far. My Cayenne was rock solid pulling an X-Star around for 5 years.

These things can expensive when they get age on them and the early water-cooled M96 non-turbo non-GT cases between 1999 and 2008 have been Porsche's problem child. The M96 case was used in NA 911s, Boxter and Caymans.

Last edited by DougHII; 10-12-16 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever cross shop Panamera's?