IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone ever cross shop Panamera's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 03:46 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Anyone ever cross shop Panamera's?

Just curious, as I never considered this car when I was looking for my F, but it generally would have fit the bill of what I was looking for--V8, 4 doors, auto trains, RWD, etc.

i took a quick look on Autotrader and the hit these cars are taking is incredible--there was a 2011 V8 S with around 50k miles with the original sticker showing 111,000$ Going for like $40k!! That's not too much more than I paid for my 2011 F.

The Panamera is not a pretty car in pictures, but can look pretty sweet in real life.

just curious if anyone cross shopped this and/or if I missed out on the opportunity to own a Porsche!
Old 10-09-16, 03:58 AM
Jz39
Advanced

The one I noted was a 2010, actually, but still seems like a great deal.

if you wanted the V6 prices dip well into the 30s. Crazy!
Old 10-09-16, 04:14 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Didn't cross shop when I looking for an F, but I have to agree with you, in person it looks quite stunning! Especially the GTS edition. In an ideal situation I would keep the F regardless for my hooliganism. I would love to pick up something like this for it's leg room, luxury, and to haul my friends around on the weekend. Not to mention my family. I was thinking GS or even a Maserati. I would prefer this vehicle, though. I would have to read on maintenance and see what the reliability dept looks like. If it isn't reasonable, then that will be a deal breaker for me.
Old 10-09-16, 05:28 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Agreed. The F is actually much smaller inside than I would have imagined. I have two boys 7.5 and 4.5 years old and the back seat is already a tight squeeze for legroom. I would actually estimate that my old G coupe has as much, or MORE, back seat room than the F??? Never would have guessed that. The Panamera looks to have better leg room.

I would stay away from the supercharged 6's in the Panameras, as these are Audi engines that burn oil like crazy. I would hope that the Porsche sourced V8 would be a safe option.
Old 10-09-16, 06:45 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmm...agreed, good to know on the supercharged units. I wouldn't mind the V6 with the looks of a GTS. I guess I'm starting to sound like the F Sport guys...lol
Old 10-09-16, 06:54 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Both CLS and the S7 and A7 supercharged are amazing as well. These cars are as quick and as sporty to drive as the RCF and are super nice on inside and looks. I am a Porsche guy through and through and is given the option . . . S7 may be the way to go even over the RCF. Been driving this bad boy and ended up looking king it better than the CLS.

The GSF isn't selling because it is crap, b-fugly and dull in low revs and city driving compared to the Germans in person. The supercharged A7 and the CLS FI pull like a bunch banshees at very low RPMs. Torque baby . . . low end torque.

Can let go of the attached for the price of a used RCF.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever cross shop Panamera's?-img_2047.jpg  
Old 10-09-16, 10:42 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
Agreed. The F is actually much smaller inside than I would have imagined. I have two boys 7.5 and 4.5 years old and the back seat is already a tight squeeze for legroom. I would actually estimate that my old G coupe has as much, or MORE, back seat room than the F??? Never would have guessed that. The Panamera looks to have better leg room.

I would stay away from the supercharged 6's in the Panameras, as these are Audi engines that burn oil like crazy. I would hope that the Porsche sourced V8 would be a safe option.
The panamera is actually pretty small on the inside too, i only drove a sport package v6 but I wasn't all that impressed with driving dynamics after hopping out of the F. That being said those cars are gorgeous inside and probably are a better DD than the F comfort wise.
Old 10-09-16, 01:54 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Always have an eye for those Panameras, unfortunately up here in Canada they are still quite pricey if you go for the V8. If pricing was comparable to similar age/mileage "F" I would definitely give it serious consideration.
Old 10-09-16, 08:25 PM
hyboost
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

I have both so I can give a pretty good comparison.
My Daily: '08 ISF, header/exhaust/intake, kw coilovers
Wife's Daily: '14 Panamera GTS, stock

As much as I love the ISF, I have to be honest...I reach for the Panamera keys on the weekends whenever the wife isn't looking. My ISF (with mods) is more raw and harsh and I guess probably a little quicker, but the V8 Panamera is one of the best cars I've owned (my prior daily was a V10 M5 for comparison).

Exhaust Note: Stock Panamera GTS (Sports Exhaust) vs Stock ISF: No comparison, Panamera wins
Acceleration: I'd say my modded ISF edges out the Panamera. Stock vs. stock, Panamera GTS would walk away from ISF.
Transmission: PDK on Porsche is amazing, but the ISF is surprisingly good. Close tie with slight advantage to Panamera especially on high RPM upshifts
Exterior: subjective. I LOVE how the ISF looks with the right mods. The Panamera needs more of a drop than the stock air suspension allows. Slight edge to ISF
Interior: not even close...Panamera is much roomier especially in back seat (tons of room for my kids). The finish of it all is incredible. Amazing interior on the Porsche.
Handling: KW Coilover ISF vs. Stock Panamera GTS (suspension set to Sport)...Panamera is much more forgiving and yet lets you take curves at stupid speeds. Panamera wins.
Gas Consumption: pretty even
Reliability: so far, a tie with no issues on either. But I would not want to deal with a Panamera out of warranty with higher mileage, if anything ever does go wrong.

Not a fair comparison to be honest if you throw a Panamera GTS into the mix. If it was a base V6 or maybe even a base V8, it might be closer.
(this is coming from someone who loves his ISF, has owned it for 5 years and will drive it to the ground with zero intention of selling it).

Old 10-09-16, 10:13 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

There we have it!! A review can't get much more direct and better than that!!^^^

V.
Old 10-10-16, 03:41 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Awesome! Sadly though, it makes me wish I would have looked into the Panamera before the F--I just literally never thought of it.

Of course, potential maintenance costs are a concern, no doubt, and could've still ended up being a deal breaker. But seeing a 111,000$ car going for low 40s is insane. Makes you do a double take. I would imagine at the $50k point you could probably get a sweet ride--and since there are so many of these up for private sale, I'd imagine you could offer some rich Multi-Porsche owner a few bucks less and really get a good deal
Old 10-10-16, 04:29 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

My brother and I were looking into getting a panamera, not to replace the ISF though. We first ruled out the GTS because, even though it was a great handling and sounding car, it was slower than my exhaust only ISF. So we decided to look into the turbo and turbo s. We were looking into one recently, but my brother decided to switch gears completely and get a gtr instead since you can get a newer with less mileage for about the same price of what we were looking for. From the test drives we took, the panamera's interior, head room and ride quality are better than the ISF. They also seem to be pretty reliable from what we researched. We never test drove or researched the models below the GTS so I can't comment on those.
Old 10-10-16, 05:44 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nks979
The panamera is actually pretty small on the inside too, i only drove a sport package v6 but I wasn't all that impressed with driving dynamics after hopping out of the F. That being said those cars are gorgeous inside and probably are a better DD than the F comfort wise.
Sorry guys, I thoughts was the RCF forum or I would not have posted the above. Not sure how I ended up reviewing a post on here . . .

You cannot really judge the Panameras by the V6 base models. These are the "affordable" models and there is a reason why they are vastly cheaper then the real models. Overall driving feel (not just acceleration), they are not even remotely the same vehicle as the S or turbos.
Old 10-10-16, 06:20 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Guy at work owns a Panamera and was just telling me about the $7200 bill to repair his front air suspension. He said he had to go to the dealer as none of the local independents wanted to even look at it.
Old 10-10-16, 07:32 AM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was actually cross shopping and test driving some. I was waiting in the Porsche dealership service lobby for them to pull one up when I heard a service consulting telling a customer over the phone that resetting the CEL would be $1300 because it was out of warranty.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever cross shop Panamera's?