IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oil full mark& battery voltage gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-16, 12:27 PM
Greatest
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil full mark& battery voltage gauge

Just did my oil. I read in one of the very long threads about which filter or something very similar that you should be very careful not to put anymore than 9.8 quarts in. Someone in the thread defiantly argued they always put 10. I've always put 10 in since that's what a Lexus tech told me when I got it. So today I added over 9.5 then started checking the dipstick. This is after I let it run for a good 5 minutes in 90 degree heat. I couldn't get it much past the low mark until I added the whole 10. Now it's done and it's just I mm below the full marker. This is where I've always filled my cars. Maybe it's wrong?? I always let it completely drain until there's no drip at all. Maybe this is why it appears I need to put the full 10 in.??

Anyway, just wondering if any of you had a similar experience or I need to be more careful. I know at least one member said they put in 10 and I think it was Joe Z who said absolutely not and I know he knows his stuff. So I'm confused.

Also, where should my battery gauge read? It is at the halfway and not going up after I just put in a new battery. Which was a pain in my a$$. My old battery, I though, always read a little higher.

As always, thanks for all the help and advice.

I have and 08 Isf with 42,000
Old 09-24-16, 01:12 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure about the oil but the battery gauge should be at halfway.
Old 09-24-16, 01:54 PM
Greatest
Driver

Thanks man. I appreciate it.
Old 09-24-16, 04:14 PM
empathy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I wouldn't consider Joe Z a good source when it comes to anything car related. If you search his posts and read his posts, you'll likely face palm.

I always fill in a full 10 quarts, but I do my own oil change and I warm up the oil, then I let it drain for an hour or so in my garage. Oil is fine on the dipstick. You'll also burn off some of the oil anyways.
Old 09-24-16, 04:25 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

9.8 quarts with a filter change...
Attached Thumbnails Oil full mark& battery voltage gauge-img_2572.png  
Old 09-24-16, 04:32 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by empathy
FWIW, I wouldn't consider Joe Z a good source when it comes to anything car related. you'll likely face palm.
Are you serious He's a maker of Performance Parts for the ISF. BTW, what's palm?

I have always used the full 10 quarts

Lou
Old 09-24-16, 06:54 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Good thread about the oil. I feel more confident that I told my technician to dump the full 10 quarts recently. I'm not driving the car hard like I used to, but I ran into the low engine oil light twice before. In frustration, I consulted with my tech and he told me he was putting in only 9 quarts. His reason was because after the 9 quarts the dipstick would read full.

Just for my benefit what do you guys do to accurately measure the .8? Oh and the comment about Joe Z that was rather bold. I'm with Lou, that man has contributed to this community beyond reasonable doubt.
Old 09-24-16, 07:44 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
Good thread about the oil. I feel more confident that I told my technician to dump the full 10 quarts recently. I'm not driving the car hard like I used to, but I ran into the low engine oil light twice before. In frustration, I consulted with my tech and he told me he was putting in only 9 quarts. His reason was because after the 9 quarts the dipstick would read full.
Last two oil changes and I only added 9 qts as well because of the same reason you tech told you, that the dipstick would read full at 9 qts. I've monitored it over the last 18k and it never goes below the full mark on the dip stick and I don't burn oil??? So I've always assumed that there is about .08 qt left in the engine and I don't want to over fill it.
Old 09-24-16, 08:12 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Last two oil changes and I only added 9 qts as well because of the same reason you tech told you, that the dipstick would read full at 9 qts. I've monitored it over the last 18k and it never goes below the full mark on the dip stick and I don't burn oil??? So I've always assumed that there is about .08 qt left in the engine and I don't want to over fill it.
With all honesty, can you say you really beat on the car? Manual mode, rev matching, cruising in 3rd or 4th and then mashing the throttle? Going well into the triple digits? Getting the oil temperature light to move 2 bars over? On a near daily basis? This is what I did. During my last 1k of the 5k interval it never failed and I was at least 1-2 quarts low. This interval I been taking it easier on the car and will monitor it closer. The redline oil sure does make it feel smoother.
Old 09-24-16, 08:29 PM
Greatest
Driver

Yes, I cited JoeZ because I know he is one of the best when it comes to the Isf. It was a long thread and someone else just said they put 10 in and they were well versed as well. So I measured mine carefully and it wanted a full 10.
Old 09-25-16, 04:36 AM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I make sure my car is level when I do my oil changes. I also let it drain completely and fill up the 9.8 quarts and it reads full on the dip stick following the checking procedure on the manual. Bring it to operating temp, shut it down, wait 15 mins (important step) and check. It's better to be a bit low than to be a bit high. I also check it when it's completely cold.
Old 09-25-16, 06:12 AM
Greatest
Driver

Originally Posted by jat0223
I make sure my car is level when I do my oil changes. I also let it drain completely and fill up the 9.8 quarts and it reads full on the dip stick following the checking procedure on the manual. Bring it to operating temp, shut it down, wait 15 mins (important step) and check. It's better to be a bit low than to be a bit high. I also check it when it's completely cold.
Yeah. I bet I'm not waiting the full 15 minutes. I'll check it again today and possibly take a little out.

Thanks
Old 09-25-16, 11:57 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by empathy
FWIW, I wouldn't consider Joe Z a good source when it comes to anything car related. If you search his posts and read his posts, you'll likely face palm
Lol wut?

My oil changes have been the full 10, if I recall correctly.
Old 09-25-16, 02:10 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

For the members that put exactly 9.8 quarts. What tool? if any, do you utilize to accurately measure the .8 of oil?
Old 09-25-16, 02:23 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
For the members that put exactly 9.8 quarts. What tool? if any, do you utilize to accurately measure the .8 of oil?
When I was using Mobil 1, I used the markings on the side of the bottle/jug as a guide. Redline doesn't have those, so now I just "eyeball" it (err on the low side), then check it afterwards & top off if needed.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Oil full mark& battery voltage gauge