IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 04:34 PM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
I for one, still can't even install v25 which GROM has officially released. The OTA worked like a charm, but it still won't accept VBASE v25. Anyone else in this boat? I tried multiple USBs, and i know they are working and being detected because I get the pop-up to install the new firmware. And, these are the same USBs I've used in the past to update the VBASE, which worked perfectly.
What does it do after you press "yes"? I hope I, or somebody else, can see something you might be missing if we have some more info about what's the behavior you are seeing.

On that note, can there be some verbosity to the update process on the VLine? as a guy who has been flashing a multitude of devices for years and years, I can't help but feel antsy when something just shuts off on me with no warning during a f/w flash.
Old 01-21-17, 04:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mannysanch
What does it do after you press "yes"? I hope I, or somebody else, can see something you might be missing if we have some more info about what's the behavior you are seeing.

On that note, can there be some verbosity to the update process on the VLine? as a guy who has been flashing a multitude of devices for years and years, I can't help but feel antsy when something just shuts off on me with no warning during a f/w flash.
After hitting yes, it goes black. Yeah, the update process needs some work for sure. I've been able to sucessfuly update to VBase 22, 23 and 24 in the past, so not sure why it's being so difficult right now! lol

Also shot a short clip of the update process failing which I sent to GROM support:

Thanks
Old 01-21-17, 07:05 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After hitting yes, it goes black. Yeah, the update process needs some work for sure. I've been able to sucessfuly update to VBase 22, 23 and 24 in the past, so not sure why it's being so difficult right now! lol

Also shot a short clip of the update process failing which I sent to GROM support: https://youtu.be/z8j7_NCcZ6o

Thanks
Not for nothing, you definitely know what you doing, but try the re-initialization process. ACC on for 5 seconds, off for a minute, and back on. Then insert the USB. What do I know. Just a stab in the dark. My primary reason for responding to your video is because you pointed out another possible improvement for the VLINE unit itself. Why not just put a LED power indicator on the box instead of us trying to look through small openings to see if it's booting. Good luck.
Old 01-21-17, 07:46 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bxbombero
Not for nothing, you definitely know what you doing, but try the re-initialization process. ACC on for 5 seconds, off for a minute, and back on. Then insert the USB. What do I know. Just a stab in the dark. My primary reason for responding to your video is because you pointed out another possible improvement for the VLINE unit itself. Why not just put a LED power indicator on the box instead of us trying to look through small openings to see if it's booting. Good luck.
Thanks! I tried doing that as well as initializing by unplugging the unit and replugging, alas no luck!
Old 01-21-17, 08:15 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I tried doing that as well as initializing by unplugging the unit and replugging, alas no luck!
Sorry to hear that. It appears that you have been around the block as many times as I have with this unit. We have different Gens. BTW, have you tried accessing music stored on an inserted SD card? If your Gen is similar to the GEN 4 which I have, good luck my friend. There should be a prize given out to any normal customer who can figure it out themselves. It's illogical. As I have said before, kudo's to the excellent technical and customer support at Grom for their patience. They must be overwhelmed as well. Please post the final solution to your update loading issue. I'm sure other members are curious to learn the reason for the problem your experiencing.
Old 01-22-17, 01:25 AM
mannysanch
Driver School Candidate

Also shot a short clip of the update process failing which I sent to GROM support
Thanks
Well tackling this like I would any other android device giving me similar issues I would probably do a factory restore, then try again.It be great if we had a flashable base image, and the ability to boot to recovery. I know most customers wouldn't need that, but it be great if we could have access to these things as people that are comfortable using such tools can resolve many problems with these.
Old 01-22-17, 06:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to hear that. It appears that you have been around the block as many times as I have with this unit. We have different Gens. BTW, have you tried accessing music stored on an inserted SD card? If your Gen is similar to the GEN 4 which I have, good luck my friend. There should be a prize given out to any normal customer who can figure it out themselves. It's illogical. As I have said before, kudo's to the excellent technical and customer support at Grom for their patience. They must be overwhelmed as well. Please post the final solution to your update loading issue. I'm sure other members are curious to learn the reason for the problem your experiencing.
Yeah, I've literally had a support ticket open with GROM since October, lol. I wish they offered weekend support, I don't have time during the weekdays to mess with this. I have not tried an SD card, only been playing music stored off of the USB. Although at this point, I don't even touch the GROM as it still reboots randomly.

Originally Posted by mannysanch
Well tackling this like I would any other android device giving me similar issues I would probably do a factory restore, then try again.It be great if we had a flashable base image, and the ability to boot to recovery. I know most customers wouldn't need that, but it be great if we could have access to these things as people that are comfortable using such tools can resolve many problems with these.
The closest thing that I could find was a factory reset option in settings, I tried that as well but of course that didn't work either!
Old 01-22-17, 11:46 AM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I've literally had a support ticket open with GROM since October, lol. I wish they offered weekend support, I don't have time during the weekdays to mess with this. I have not tried an SD card, only been playing music stored off of the USB. Although at this point, I don't even touch the GROM as it still reboots randomly.

The closest thing that I could find was a factory reset option in settings, I tried that as well but of course that didn't work either!
If your not able to do this and future updates, I would seriously consider sending your VLINE back for replacement.
Old 01-22-17, 08:23 PM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Updated to firmware v.25 and VLine OTA update and now Carplay does not work; the icon is grayed out when VLine is plugged into iPhone. Carplay was working prior to firmware and VLine OTA update. Please help!
Old 01-22-17, 09:34 PM
Bxbombero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hyb1212id
Updated to firmware v.25 and VLine OTA update and now Carplay does not work; the icon is grayed out when VLine is plugged into iPhone. Carplay was working prior to firmware and VLine OTA update. Please help!
Hello hyb1212id,
I would try a factory reset. Then check to see if the two latest VLINE updates are installed under about device in the settings menu. If not, reinstall them and then reinstall all your previous apps with their latest updates available. Good luck.
Old 01-22-17, 09:35 PM
gromaudio
Vendor

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I suggest disconnecting VLine from power harness. Wait for few minutes. Attach USB stick with firmware into the low USB port. Attach to power. Wait until all lights are off, Turn on the ignition. Should make a trick.
If still no luck, try another stick, make sure it is FAT32.
Old 01-23-17, 06:51 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gromaudio
I suggest disconnecting VLine from power harness. Wait for few minutes. Attach USB stick with firmware into the low USB port. Attach to power. Wait until all lights are off, Turn on the ignition. Should make a trick.
If still no luck, try another stick, make sure it is FAT32.
Already tried that as well as per my support ticket. Tried two different USB sticks which are both FAT32. I know they work as they play music on the GROM, and they are the same sticks that I've used to flash it before.
Old 01-23-17, 10:59 AM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Hello hyb1212id,
I would try a factory reset. Then check to see if the two latest VLINE updates are installed under about device in the settings menu. If not, reinstall them and then reinstall all your previous apps with their latest updates available. Good luck.
No luck. I did a factory reset. I unplugged the system as GROM suggested. Rebooted and still no Carplay. The unit is on firmware V.20.25 which I assume is the latest firmware.
Old 01-23-17, 11:06 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by hyb1212id
No luck. I did a factory reset. I unplugged the system as GROM suggested. Rebooted and still no Carplay. The unit is on firmware V.20.25 which I assume is the latest firmware.
Probably a long shot, but have you done a hard reset on your iphone? (hold power and home button for 5-10 secs to restart it) It's possible the phone has a glitch going on stopping the unit from recognizing it ....
Old 01-23-17, 12:20 PM
hyb1212id
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rehr0001
Probably a long shot, but have you done a hard reset on your iphone? (hold power and home button for 5-10 secs to restart it) It's possible the phone has a glitch going on stopping the unit from recognizing it ....
Yup, did a hard reset.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?