IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

anyone getting the grom vline?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-16, 12:43 PM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

where are you guys leaving the main unit? was thinking the glove box but it doesnt look like it would fit. is there room behind the stock radio to stuff the unit there? if anyone can post install pics including your gps/mic wiring that would be appreciated!
Old 10-13-16, 12:47 PM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

It fits the glove box. You can mount it on "roof" of the glove box with the wires running sideways.
Old 10-13-16, 01:15 PM
robtown
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GarageB
Update - so not sure if I am/am not supposed to have Carplay working but I do.

It is simply fantastic.

Grom - is there a way to force the unit to load the Carplay interface as the primary, instead of having to tap the shortcut button each time?

Even with my non-functioning GPS receiver on the Android side, Carplay has no problem because the phone is doing all the work. It is so, so much better to live with than the Android side.
Awesome, I hope mine is the same with CarPlay available in Beta, you know for testing. i purchased this for the CarPlay feature and got it anyway knowing it wouldn't be available until later but would use the Bluetooth streaming in the short term anyway.

Do do you have to connect your phone via lightening cable to USB port on the Grom unit or does CarPlay work wirelessly?

any chance you could post a video demo of the CarPlay on your system?

thanks,
Rob
Old 10-13-16, 04:40 PM
jsfullr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robtown
Awesome, I hope mine is the same with CarPlay available in Beta, you know for testing. i purchased this for the CarPlay feature and got it anyway knowing it wouldn't be available until later but would use the Bluetooth streaming in the short term anyway.

Do do you have to connect your phone via lightening cable to USB port on the Grom unit or does CarPlay work wirelessly?

any chance you could post a video demo of the CarPlay on your system?

thanks,
Rob
^^^^^^^^^ What he said, I'd like to know! Please please please leave in the ability to activate car play (you know for cough, cough, testing). I would absolutely buy this right now if it gave me the ability to use CarPlay on my '11 F. (even if unofficially supported).
Old 10-19-16, 05:34 AM
1segovia
Driver School Candidate

Default Cables??

How are you feeding the cables into the glove box? Do I need to remove it or maybe feed the cables near the cabin filter? Obviously gonna need them out of sight.
Old 10-19-16, 06:32 AM
mahcah
Racer

Rear cover has a crack in the glove compartment. I fed them through there.
Old 10-19-16, 08:47 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mahcah
Rear cover has a crack in the glove compartment. I fed them through there.
Thank you so much. Is it possible to post a pic or explain further. would I not need to remove glove box then? I also have is 250 so not sure if that's different.
Old 10-19-16, 08:56 AM
mahcah
Racer

Shouldn't be any difference. I am not at my car. But you don't need to remove the glove compartment. There is a black plastic cover in the back; a long rectangle cover. Just remove that and feed the lines through there. You can put the cover back on and the wires still have room.
Old 10-19-16, 09:42 AM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mahcah
Shouldn't be any difference. I am not at my car. But you don't need to remove the glove compartment. There is a black plastic cover in the back; a long rectangle cover. Just remove that and feed the lines through there. You can put the cover back on and the wires still have room.
Got it, the cabin filter hole. Thanks!
Old 10-19-16, 10:01 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Anyone else still waiting on there's? I just checked the status of my order and the shipping date/tracking url still shows NA.
Old 10-19-16, 10:58 AM
geero
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

im also in for any install pics/tips! thanks!
Old 10-19-16, 02:27 PM
GR8WHITE
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Durrby
Anyone else still waiting on there's? I just checked the status of my order and the shipping date/tracking url still shows NA.
Yes, I emailed them for a status and they replied with:

"We are sorry to delay your order again, we run out of some parts for VLine with all pre-orders, and we are waiting for the new batch to arrive.

We expect to be able to ship your VLine next week, Friday October 28th."
Old 10-19-16, 03:28 PM
drcabral
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GR8WHITE
Yes, I emailed them for a status and they replied with:

"We are sorry to delay your order again, we run out of some parts for VLine with all pre-orders, and we are waiting for the new batch to arrive.

We expect to be able to ship your VLine next week, Friday October 28th."
Still waiting here. One big cocktease and money grab
Old 10-19-16, 03:31 PM
drcabral
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gromaudio
Hello,
Thank you for the feedback.

1. GPS: Make sure you try Google maps or Waze and have Location permissions enabled, if no help, let us know.

2. When I get back in the car sometimes I need to hit the CD/AUX button to bring the vline screen back up.

Yes the default Lexus behavior when backing up is to switch to Navi. Need to press AUDIO button after that.

3. The interface works ok in the handful of apps it comes with. With apps that arent pre-installed, it pops up a navigation bar on the left side - the navigation bar doesnt have a back button.

Yes the back button will be fixed in next OTA

4. The red microphone icon is obnoxious and I dont find it to be that useful. Id prefer to have it removed.

It works for finding POIs or directions only at this point. We will add voice music search in few weeks. More voice functions will be dependent on the context of the app you use.

At the end of the day Grom should have not tried to create its own interface and instead opted for Android Auto - which is better suited for a car environment

You can install any launcher you want. We offer DashLinQ as a complimentary software with functionality tailored to car usage and integrated with Lexus controls.
Standalone Android Auto might be released by Google to public later this year.

Also, there is absolutely no need for this device to have to boot each time - I own an android tablet, it sits on my bedside table for a week, and when i pick it up, its exactly where I left it and it doesnt need to boot.

Car battery is not too difficult to discharge. An extra 20-40mA on top of everything else already consuming while car is stationary will drain weak battery within week or two. At this point we are still playing with sleep modes. I hope later this month we will have safe way to sleep/wakeup without cold bootup via OTA.
Why are you taking so long to ship pre-orders? It is aprox 3 weeks since it was released. This is not proper customer service. You take our money and then act annoyed when we call asking where are product is.

Last edited by drcabral; 10-19-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 10:31 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm highly debating returning mine, so if anyone wants one priced between pre-order and final price; send me a PM. Harness might be different between models, so we need to verify that.

Quick Reply: anyone getting the grom vline?